Changes At The Chiang Mai Immigration Office

earlofwindermere

I'm not sure if this is countrywide but....

I went to renew my Thai driver's licence today and realized that I needed a Certificate of Residency. (For the newbies - the Certificate of Residicency is necessary for getting a Driver's Licence or buying a car, truck or motorbike).

The Immigration Department has now changed their rules and will ONLY issue this certificate with a YEAR visa. Specifically, if you need to do a visa run every 90 days, you no longer qualify. I have a non-B multi-entry visa (which I thought was a year visa) but in their eyes, it is not. A year visa is only available to those with a work permit or have a marriage visa. For the rest of us (including all those retired folk on an "O" visa), it's a lot harder for us now. The only option now is to hope that your embassy will write one for you... at a premium I'm sure.

There seem to be a lot of changes going on in the Immigration/Visa rulings, and I cannot see of benefit to any party.

As in EarlofWindmere's OP , I would like to say, I have in my passport a 1 Year Visa, Non Imm B, Multiple Entry I believe that to be correct, because that is what is written on the Visa sticker put there by the Royal Thai Embassy. Upon arrival in Thailand, Immigration stamped a up to 90 entry and stay permit, but I don't consider that to be my Visa. Apparently CM Immigration has the latitude to consider the 90 day stamp a Visa.

But here is another Immigration ruling that I find perplexing and lacking logic. I witnessed this myself this past Sunday at Mae Sai.

I posted this earlier under the visa section, but this may fit better in CM section as it concerns more the North of Thailand and many in CM use the Mae Sai/Tachilek crossing for a visa run.

As earlier posted

========

Learned something today.

A husband and wife, he having a US Passport, she a Myanmar Passport, both with current and valid Non Imm B Visas [Multi entry] for Thailand do have a problem at Mae Sai.

He can cross, return and reenter Thailand, she cannot. It happens that the Thai Immigration cannot stamp Myanmar Passports at the Mae Sai/Tachilek Border Crossing. It was then recommended, very politely I need to add, that she go to Chiang Saen or Chiang Khong, which are able to do so. ????????

No further rationalization was given.

Can anyone out there explain.

I do wish to add something here, that I have been going to Mae Sai occasionally for close to 20 years. I have nothing but the highest respect and regard for the professionalism and courtesy shown by all the Immigration staff, that I have encountered at the Mae Sai Division. They are simply put, very nice people.

Now if only 20% of this would rub off on the Chiang Mai Division ........

Thats Life I guess.

There seems to be a mixing up of the usual two - related, but different concepts - 1) a visa. 2) a permit to stay.

A multiple entry 1 year visa grants you permit to enter Thailand multiple times as long as the visa is valid. They usually yields a stamp the permits you to stay 90 days in Thailand.

It appears to me that what posters are refering to in this thread by "one year visa" actually are those stamps, that permit one to stay 1 year at a time and which only is indirectly is related to the visa. As a matter of fact: you don't even need to have a valid VISA to get those stamps - the visa just have to be valid when you enter the country. My 1 year visa ran out of validity more than a year ago, but I'm perfectly legal with my stamp permitting to stay one year (or rather 3 months longer after which I can get that stamp extended for one more year - still without a valid visa).

Edited by rishi

We're in the same situation as we have the same visas Gonzo. I can't figure out how my 1 year visa is not considered a 1 year visa in their opinion. As the Thai Consulate told me when I got my visa....

"Thailand is run subjectively. Get used to it."

I guess then by the same Immigration Logic, the 30 days the tourist get upon clearing Immigration is "A 30 Day Visa", although I have been told many time it is not a visa. and then again you wait in the line that says "VISA on arrival.... "Ces La Vie, said the old folks, shows you never can tell"

Can hardly wait til next year when I go back to the RT Embassy and ask for my money back as they didn't give me a visa, like they charged me for. 55555555

The Immigration Department has now changed their rules and will ONLY issue this certificate with a YEAR visa. Specifically, if you need to do a visa run every 90 days, you no longer qualify. I have a non-B multi-entry visa (which I thought was a year visa) but in their eyes, it is not. A year visa is only available to those with a work permit or have a marriage visa. For the rest of us (including all those retired folk on an "O" visa), it's a lot harder for us now. The only option now is to hope that your embassy will write one for you... at a premium I'm sure.

Instead of leaving the kingdom every 90 days the holders of these still have to report ot immigration every 90 days anyway. I think they are nit picking. The majority of foreigners living here that I know, have all purchased their cars on a non imm "B" or "O"

The question now arises....Will the Dept of Lands & Transport demand the same to register a vehicle or renew a driving licence, even though you have a certificate of residence from your consulate? Food for thought :o

I'll let you know my experience once I try. Thankfully, I have a consulate in the city and they are going to make me a certificate on Friday. I have doubts that the government offices here won't accept it though.

In reference to Rishi's post, the immigration office sign says "One Year Visa..." which is why it may be confusing.

It seems the CM office want to try to force people to renew their permission to stay at their office instead of obtaining multiple entry visas abroad. Why is anyone's guess.

Here is my guess...

THEY WANT TO LIVE IN SPLENDOR,

WITH THAT LOVIN LEGAL TENDER,

GIVE THEM MONEY, MONEY MONEY, MONEY MONEY

:o

Last year when I obtained my DL, I came against the same problem.however, wifey stepped in and told the Immigration Officer "Why would you make us go to all the trouble and expence to go to the NZ Embassy for a piece of paper" So they gave me a declaration that was good for only that day.no charge. :o

What rishi said is correct. It's a one-year permit to stay that they want to see. Those who obtain multiple-entry 90-day visas and then use them to stay for a year with border runs every 90 days are not using the visas as they were intended. During the first 90 days you're supposed to get your permit to stay extended from 90 days to 1 year. I've never been clear why the consultates/embassies abroad even issue multiple-entry 90-day visas good for a year. If you convert to a non-B visa from a tourist visa here in Thailand, you only get the single-entry 90 days.

Have just returned from Maesai Imm to report 90 day address, AND to get a letter of residency for the DL.

Sweet as a nut, no problem at all. He gave me two original letters in case I need 2 for M/c & car.

Beautiful docs with a photo on each and free of course. :o:D:D

Only posted to reinforce the feel good factor of Mausea Immigration.

Last year when I obtained my DL, I came against the same problem.however, wifey stepped in and told the Immigration Officer "Why would you make us go to all the trouble and expence to go to the NZ Embassy for a piece of paper" So they gave me a declaration that was good for only that day.no charge. :D

I obtained a "certificate of residence" from immigration three months ago on a one year Non Imm "B" visa also had to produce my house papers, and contrary to public opinion it is free! This was accepted by the Lands & Transport Dept for a vehicle transfer, but that was then!!!! :o

Trouble with life is so many words are used without a total thought of their meanings - especially if English words are used by non-English speakers

In my opinion:

A VISA is issued to allow you to enter the country.

When you enter the immigration officer gives you PERMISSION TO STAY for a set number of days (normally 60 or 90 days).

You can go to immigration and get this length of stay EXTENDED for marriage, work, retirement or maybe other reasons.

(This extension is normally for 275 days the first time - making one year - and then future extensions are for 1 year at a time)

The 30 day "visa on arrival" is actually a visa excemption, certain nationalitys do not have to have a visa to enter Thailand and will be given 15, 30 or 90 days permission to stay by the immigration officer.

Last year when I obtained my DL, I came against the same problem.however, wifey stepped in and told the Immigration Officer "Why would you make us go to all the trouble and expence to go to the NZ Embassy for a piece of paper" So they gave me a declaration that was good for only that day.no charge. :D

I obtained a "certificate of residence" from immigration three months ago on a one year Non Imm "B" visa also had to produce my house papers, and contrary to public opinion it is free! This was accepted by the Lands & Transport Dept for a vehicle transfer, but that was then!!!! :o

I got a residence certificate on 24 July at CMai Immigration office, for free, which was accepted by the driver license office.

• 3 months later...

I hadn't read this thread before today & with my drivers license due for renewal, happily went along to CM Immigration today to get the required certificate of residency. I hold a 1 year multiple entry Non Imm B visa, which permits 90 days stays.

Irrespective of the fact that they've issued many of these things for me over past years, with absolutely no problem, I was told that they could no longer issue a certificate of residency for me, as I needed a 1 year visa. I pointed out that I have a 1 year visa, however was advised that to qualify for a certificate of residency, my visa needs to permit me to STAY for 1 year and not just be valid for 1 year, permitting stays of 90 days.

All very polite, but not the desired result & the only option open is to pay for a certificate from my embassy. This means a trip to Bangkok. Aside from the expense, it's all very inconvenient.

I'm sure that most of us are trying to do the right thing and do everything legally, however of late, it seems that obsticles are being placed in our path!

500 baht in Samui .......................

Cheaper in Korat :o

I tried to get my first Thai licence in Prakonchai a few months ago and was refused. The reason stated was that I need to get my British driving licence translated into Thai (I do not think that was the real reason though)

I went to Immigration in Korat to get an extension to my current Visa (90 day 'o') and after reading threads in here and my personal experience I asked about it.

The Officer I was talking to asked if I had my licence with me and when I showed it to her, she read it in full (any Brit will tell you that is quite an achievement for the old fold-up licences) She then typed up a letter of residence and gave me directions to the Driving Centre. She told me to just go in there and ask for a Thai one, with the instruction that if I met any objections to give her a call.

I didn't need to, walked in, asked for a Thai licence and walked out 20 minutes later with one.

I like Korat :D

We're in the same situation as we have the same visas Gonzo. I can't figure out how my 1 year visa is not considered a 1 year visa in their opinion. As the Thai Consulate told me when I got my visa....

"Thailand is run subjectively. Get used to it."

My visa is a one year non-B multiple entry. I hold a valid work permit. But Immigration will not give me my resident paper because of the multple entry part. I had to go to the American Consulate and pay 1200 baht for the paper. :o

You have to love the irony of it all in this case though;

Thailand, with all of its dual pricing, would give me the paper for free (and has for the past several years)

My own consulate charges me 1200 baht for the same paper.

TIT

The Fly Fisherman

Anybody know where the government building for renewing the 1 year driving license is in Chang Mai is??

I've poured over the Nancy Chandler Map but to avail.

Thanks.

JK

The only DL office I know, where I got mine, is on the Hang Dong road, south of Tesco Lotus, turn left just before the pedestrian overpass.

My visa is a one year non-B multiple entry. I hold a valid work permit. But Immigration will not give me my resident paper because of the multple entry part. I had to go to the American Consulate and pay 1200 baht for the paper. :D

Thailand, with all of its dual pricing, would give me the paper for free (and has for the past several years)

My own consulate charges me 1200 baht for the same paper

TIT

The Fly Fisherman

Lucky you are not British!! The same piece of paper from the British Embassy costs 1800 baht :o

My visa is a one year non-B multiple entry. I hold a valid work permit. But Immigration will not give me my resident paper because of the multple entry part. I had to go to the American Consulate and pay 1200 baht for the paper. :D

My own consulate charges me 1200 baht for the same paper

TIT

The Fly Fisherman

Lucky you are not British!! The same piece of paper from the British Embassy costs 1800 baht :o

Unlucky you are not a Kiwi THB850. :D