Adsl-modem Versus Router

h90

I got buddy internet and it works nice.

I got a buddy ADSL modem (Fujian Star-net Communication Co.,ltd).

It works nicely without any problems and I have good Torrent speed.

It plugs in USB port (and I have only 2 on my laptop).

I have an older D-Link, DSL-500 G Router here which would have Ethernet connection.

The router tends I think to get problems if it must handle to many requests (I got told).

As testing on bittorrent (only legal things of course), would be very difficult as I anyway get sometimes good sometimes bad speed, I would not know on hot it is related to the modem/router.

Has anyone knowlege on that?

Thanks

Michael

Guest Reimar

I have an older D-Link, DSL-500 G Router here which would have Ethernet connection.

The router tends I think to get problems if it must handle to many requests (I got told).

As testing on bittorrent (only legal things of course), would be very difficult as I anyway get sometimes good sometimes bad speed, I would not know on hot it is related to the modem/router.

Thanks

Michael

Hi h90,

I don't think you will get problems with the router.

But if you not sure, why you not use a USB-Hub or a PCMCIA USB-Card with 4 USB-Ports. The cost is below THB 1,000.00. For my opinion the easiest way if you don't sure!

I would go with the router.

It plugs in to the LAN (ethernet) socket freeing up your USB.

It will handle your logon for you.

It allows you to set the network address on your side.

It may even have its own firewall, though I cannot see one on the specs for your model.

BTW you can buy USB hubs to connect serveral devices to one USB port on your PC.

Thanks

Michael

Hi h90,

But if you not sure, why you not use a USB-Hub or a PCMCIA USB-Card with 4 USB-Ports. The cost is below THB 1,000.00. For my opinion the easiest way if you don't sure!

I have only 1 PCMCIA slot, so also limited there (I want to put in a wireless card)

Guest Reimar

Thanks

Michael

Hi h90,

I have only 1 PCMCIA slot, so also limited there (I want to put in a wireless card)

USB-Hub 4 Port, around 200-300 THB> Thats all. Plug n' Play.

USB Modem may work better fo4r BitTorrents as I use a usb for that, on my router I get just the half download speed!

Thanks

Michael

I have DSL-500 G router and had problems with to many connections when using software like shareza etc.

The modem had to be reset for to work again.

Routers can have problems when there are several hundred connections running simultaneously... they weren't meant for that kind of traffic. It's the kind of traffic you get when you set your bittorrent client to unlimited peers. It's a problem common to all routers, but some handle it better than others. However, some linksys routers are known to handle it *worse* than others, allowing only around a hundred simultaneous connections.

USB-Hub 4 Port, around 200-300 THB> Thats all. Plug n' Play.

USB Modem may work better fo4r BitTorrents as I use a usb for that, on my router I get just the half download speed!

Reimar, is that (4 port hub 200-300 THB) all I would need to use my IPstar connection on my laptop and my desktop? (and will the zyxel wireless modem/router fit in somewhere??)

Can't get one over here, not even in the nearest town as far as I can tell now, they have "usb-ethernet-share-your-adsl-thingies" starting 1,500 THB.

thx