Hiring and Driving a car in Thailand. Good idea or bad?

jgd1004

Thai idiom---- in the middle of F***ing no where, ---describes some parts of Issan quite adequately ........wub.png

. I was sitting in my hammock out in the middle of $&@? All, and along came down the dirt road was the Google Car with the Cameras for Google Earth street view , WTH

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rent a car for Issan---but download one of the free GPS apps for your phone that are around, ...although many times in Ban Nok you will be looking at a blank screen..... That's when you will need your long haired dictionary to come to the rescue.

. GPS is Sketchy in Isaan, you will waste tons of time looking but that's half the adventure, huh

Go for it. Just rent a car from a proper international rental company with full insurance.

Driving in Thailand is not hard, just take it easy and allow plenty of time for your journeys.

GPS is very useful, if you have a smartphone then you are probably OK.

I have driven for 12 years here and covered 200,000 km in that time, I don't think Thai drivers are bad drivers at all, but driving style may differ from where you call home.

Anyone who thinks Thai drivers are bad has clearly not travelled very much ! Try driving in Vietnam, I did and after that I'll never complain about Thai drivers.

Go for it, don't worry about traffic its no big deal, driving in Thailand is fine roads are generally good just watch out for buses and trucks,, they can do pretty scary stuff when least expected,, and tractors and mopeds driving on the wrong side of the roads when in the country,, even when not :)..

If your not a good night driver try be off the roads before dusk many vehicles in the country don't have lights,,and like I said they drive on the wrong side of the road...

All in all you will enjoy the experience, just make sure you have GPS :)wai2.gif

I didn't know you can hire a car. If you hire one, can I have it clean my house as well?

Jokes aside...

This car hire thing... is this a european saying? Im used to hearing car rental, or rent a car... I would think you would hire a driver for a car not the car itself.

As long as your a confident/competent driver you won't have a problem, bangkok is fine anytime of the day again as long as your a confident/competent driver. Just be aware of thai people on the road, no road sense and no driving skills. Keep your license on you at all times. I've driven and riden in issan, bangkok and hua hin with no problems, police tend to look at my English licence and hand it back straight away because they can't understand it so I've never had an issue there.

Excellent idea!. only hire car with navigator and Bkk is at your feet

Bangkok is a nightmare fot newbies!

Driving as such is not the problem.

Jam and deadlock anyway, more standstill than driving.

So just have nerves of steel, tank fueled up and maybe a pisspot.

BUT:

finding the way is desastrous for out-of-towners.

No logic ways to go.

Right turn? Forget it.

U-turn? Maybe in 5 km.

Missed the right exit from the tollway? Bad luck finding the way back. There is none (and of course no corresponding exit/entry in the opposite direction).

Lanes, directions are changing depending on time of day indicated by Thai language only indicators.

Opposite traffic on "your" side of a separated multiple lane road? Don't be surprised.

Drove a route in the morning? Maybe not good in the afternoon.

A to B is 2 km linear distance. Route on the road in the afternoon maybe 5 km.

And so on, and so on.

Don't drive in Bangkok as a newbie/tourist!

I will not need it anymore.

did my first trip from Bangkok Harbour to Leong nok tha north of Ubon driving a D8 Grader!! in the early 60,s been driving accident free on and off now for nearly 50 years every chance I get in the kingdom, spain and Germany are a lot more dangerous to drive in, but if you are really tired of living try downtown Saigon!!

Saigon is easy, it's chaos but organized chaos and it works. Unlike Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and the other big cities, there it's just chaos!

Generally, a great idea to drive yourself, especially in Is a an. So many things to see, separated by kms of nothing...

However, for Hua Hin, I prefer the train from BKK. Hua Hin is small enough that a car is no real advantage, and the train station is very close to the center of town. It's also one of the nicest ones in Thailand, at least it's photogenic.

The nicest thing about the train is that it stops in several nice places south of HH: Prachuap Khiri Khan, quiet town, great seafood, cheap accommodation. Ao Manao beach is really spectacular.

My personal favorite is Ban Krut, and the train station is much closer than the highway; in fact, if you haven't been before, it would be hard to find by car, which is probably why it is still relatively unspoiled. Great beach, lined with shade trees, very nice bungalows at reasonable prices. Sala Thai resort is right in the middle, and has always given us a great room and personal service. Use their free bicycles, or rent a motorbike to explore the coast.

Travel light, use the train to see all of the coast S of HH...then drive Isaan.

Have a great trip.

Rent a car for Issan---but download one of the free GPS apps for your phone that are around, ...although many times in Ban Nok you will be looking at a blank screen..... That's when you will need your long haired dictionary to come to the rescue.

Whats Ban Nok?

Ban nok, literally, 'bird home', means a small village in the back country, which, if you get off the highway on to secondary or tertiary roads, you'll pass through frequently.

It's where Nok, the bargirl you're about to make rich, was born.

I'd hire a driver; done it several times and it has always worked out well. Not that expensive; you get to relax and enjoy scenery and (some) conversation. We broke down once (water pump went out.. random), he dealt with it. Finding a place to park.. not to worry; he can drop you and then he deals with it.

I didnt know i Could rent a car with a driver ( apart from taxis of course) but im very spontaneous and i wonder if a driver would get annoyed lol i like the freedom. Last year i rented a bike but let my thai mate ride me about which was good. I wouldn't even bother driving in bkk during busy periods same as i wouldn't take a taxi car I'd just sit in traffic all day. But i do want to explore isaan without just getting off a plane/bus and being stuck in the 1 area so yes maybe i could hire a car in isaan.

Can anyone tell me what its like in isaan compared to bkk pattaya etc? I was thinking to drive up to Laos and maybe cross the border. Wouldn't mind just getting lost for a few days aha

I didnt know i Could rent a car with a driver ( apart from taxis of course) but im very spontaneous and i wonder if a driver would get annoyed lol i like the freedom. Last year i rented a bike but let my thai mate ride me about which was good. I wouldn't even bother driving in bkk during busy periods same as i wouldn't take a taxi car I'd just sit in traffic all day. But i do want to explore isaan without just getting off a plane/bus and being stuck in the 1 area so yes maybe i could hire a car in isaan.

Can anyone tell me what its like in isaan compared to bkk pattaya etc? I was thinking to drive up to Laos and maybe cross the border. Wouldn't mind just getting lost for a few days aha

fly up to Udon Thani, I know there's a few rental car company's around $ 36 dls to fly to Udon, then go Nong Khai , Erawan Cave, The Mekong, right across the river from Laos. Hua Hin to Don Muang airport is not bad, btw can't take car over border

I rent a car every time I come to Thailand. I like the freedom to go when and where I want. That being said, I don't bother driving in Bangkok, unless I am leaving or returning to the city. Taxis and the BTS or MRT are faster and more convenient, and I don't have to find parking. Just remember to drive defensively, and just don't drink and drive. I am American, so I have to constantly think about my driving, since traffic is on the left instead of the right. Last thing you want to do is drive on automatic pilot, and turn into oncoming traffic. If you drive at night, watch out for trucks and motorbikes. Most seem to have very weak or nonexistant rear lights, and can be difficult to see.

Do it. Driven (and ridden) the length of the country numerous times, never an issue. In fact, I find the hiring of cars here easier than UK. The Bangkok Budget office is near an expressway, so not so bad for getting out. Thai Rent A Car is also one stop from the Sirat Expressway. You an also do a drop-off at a different office, from Hua Hin to Khon Kaen, for example. When driving here, avoid going to close to the hard shoulder and too close to the central res and always keep your wits about you. Spacial awareness and fast reactions are the key. thumbsup.gif

I 100% agree with the above post. Hiring and self driving with the help of a GPS is freedom. Install a 300 baht esky to keep your drinks cold. Ice is available everywhere at 5 baht a bag, as is interesting and tasty roadside food. Your vehicle becomes your air-conditioned travelling lounge. It is by far the best way to explore Thailand.

Thais share the road, road markings including double solid lines can only be regarded as a guide and not the observed law. That's Sharing !!. They don't assume to own the road as in Australia. Your left mirror is as crucial as your right to incident free motoring, motorbikes can appear from anywhere.

Always be prepared to brake and I mean brake.. HARD. A 4x4 four door covered pick up is my favorite travelling vehicle.

Ban nok, literally, 'bird home', means a small village--TheKnave

Yer I used to love those Thai Idioms Knave, when I first came here & was struggling at learning Thai (15 years latter & still struggling) The Teacher used to have a 15 minute a week on Idioms. We would all throw English Idiom's at her she would throw back what the Thai's would say......

Oh Yer when pigs can fly = Yes when the 7-11 closes.

It can be quite humorous when a farang says a Thai idiom (in the right circumstances) you hear som nam na = serves you right, a lot but not kam tam sanong or kong kwian "Cart wheel" =what goes around comes around, not so much . I guess some of the more flowery ones have been dropped.

one of my favorites used to be--Mai Dem Baht = not the full quid (Baht) but my wife told me to be more polite & stop using that . I had a friend that spoke quite good Thai & he would rattle them off, made the BG laugh, if anyone thought the tip was to small & said that he was a cheap charlie Sticky-sh*t he would rattle off the idiom -kam khi di kwa kam tot.

Yer about hiring cars..........I think I may be just a tad off topic...... so I guess this post is going to the bin..............w00t.gif ..........sorry

Edited by sanuk711

Never had a problem here in Phuket.

Just deal with decent car-hire people - and there are a few around. Do not be cheeky to the police if they stop you, be respectful - they like older folks it seems.

We had an accident once nr Patong and the cops found for us - were ultra nice and polite. Cross them at your peril tho'. Same as anywhere i'd submit.

But.....have eyes in the back of your head for the motorbikes.......

About getting a GPS.

I would recommend a free app by Sygic.

The maps are fantastic.

In an iPad with GPS receivers like my iPad Air, it only needs an internet connection to download the maps.

There is a full function free period.

You can download maps for most places in the world that issue maps. Non for Laos or Burma.

Maps can be 3D or 2D, great fun in BKK.

You can set bookmarks or take a photo and navigate back easily.

I was so impressed I bought the lifetime world map offer with head up display and car cam options.

Although I don't drive a car here, I use the GPS all the time.

Say I find a shop that I want to visit again. I take a photo or make a bookmark.

The screen tells you what the max speed for your road is. There is an insert that pops up to show what lane you should be in.

It speaks (in the trial period or paid version).

It warns where traffic speed cams are.

It's amazing.

Having said that.

We hire a car with driver. The deal is that the driver gets an accommodation allowance.

He drops you off in the evening and picks you up in the morning.

The stress of driving, getting lost has already been covered well.

If it's for a holiday, pay a little extra and relax. (Be the millionaire for a week LOL)

My experience is that the driver may well know places to visit along the way that you might otherwise miss.

Whatever you choose, have fun, relax and enjoy.

Edited by laislica

i probably wouldn't go out until evening time when it calms a bit.

That wouldn't be till about 8pm. Hua Hin is as bad as any Thai town when it comes to parking, so make sure you have somewhere to park it before driving down.

You could take the bus/ train to Hua Hin and still hire a car for Issan.

They have the laws, but not the enforcement.

Or the observance. 'Break the law' seems to be the menu of the day, every day.

Whats Ban Nok?

[/quote

Out the back of 'Woop Woop'. :)]

Whats Ban Nok?

Ban nok, literally, 'bird home', means a small village in the back country, which, if you get off the highway on to secondary or tertiary roads, you'll pass through frequently.

It means outside, not bird.

I've driven here a lot, its certainly do-able, however it helps to keep being prepared for people to do the weirdest things at any moment. Crossing the street through a red light while they see you coming. Or, trying to take over a car on the highway on the wrong side almost crashing your car in the process. Driving 1 meter behind you on your bumber with 120Kmh. Just to name a few. Enjoy :).

One more thing, this sentence doesn't apply over here -> "but he was wrong".

Last January hired a car from Khon Kean Airport drove from there to Phu Kradueng then up to Loei, then to BKK then on to Don Sak caught the ferry across to Koh Samui, back on the ferry again and down to Surat Thani, then back to Khon Kean, BKK is busy no matter what time you drive through, only got stopped once by police all month, but that time had a Monk in the car with me he wanted a lift to a Temple in BKK, police saw the Monk in the car and told me to go, no questions asked.

Whats Ban Nok?

It maans Birds Nest.

Whats Ban Nok?

Exactly. Golf players know that. When putting the hopefully pretty caddy will say something like kwa nai (right inside) or kwa nawk not kwa nok (right outside) of the hole.

Baan nawk means rural area, countryside, village way out.

Edited by CapeCobra

Let the experts drive you around Bangkok, it's too easy to get lost otherwise. Even with street signs in English.

Country driving is not too bad, provided you drive defensively and let the maniac in a van either pass you, or get to the left as far as possible when he/she is making a headon entirely predictable by attempting a "third car overtaking" manouevre. And if you're caught in the middle of this, it's ok to live to fight another day. Large pickups such as Isuzus, Hiluxes etc. are also a health hazard.

go hard - just bring 200b incase you get pulled over. That is standard for not having a license

But don't offer the money to the police, (or have the money in your IDP) wait until they ask you. SWMBO said that since the military took over she knows several people who have been arrested for trying to bribe a police officer.

If they ask then it can be as usual, a roadside fine, if not then you will have to pay at the police station.

Buy a map from the local 7-11 and go for it, satnav will take you straight there with a map you can explore a bit ,everyone think I'm mad but I think safe than driving in UK, unless your in a tourist spot where they have all hired a motorbike and ride around like idiots.

I did it last November. Hired a car at Swampy airport and drove to Hua Hin. Stayed for a few days then onto Kanchanaburi for Remembrance Day then drove north to Chiang Rai and left the car at CR airport after one week. Make sure you buy a good map and then it is no problem. It is a very good way of seeing more of real Thailand.