Hiring and Driving a car in Thailand. Good idea or bad?

jgd1004

For what its worth.The problems that could happen.Get a bus.Good advice from other forum member,Not to close to hard shoulder.And watch oncomming traffic,all the time.If comming to a hill.And cannot see oncomming traffic,Keep on the hard shoulder line.You will be surprised,how many thai,s,wlll come in the middle of the road.I have lived in thailand for many years.Have driven all over europe and other countrys for 35 years.I have never driven a car in thailand.I concider it to dangerous and it will always be your fault if accident.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived in Thailand for 13 years now and drive both a pick-up and a motorbike. I (along with she who must be obeyed) take regular tours around the country (am presently in Ban Pae). I particularly love pulling into the "blue" service stations with the lovely Amazon Coffee Shops. and relaxing over a coffee watching the world go by. Only yesterday on our way down here and sitting in one of the said coffee shops I said to her....the only real way to see how lovely Thailand and it's people are is to travel around it by car (or motorbike). I was saying it's sad how so many tourists only see the towns similar to Pattaya and never get to see the real country. The type of persons you meet along the way are so different than when in the touristy places.

Go for it if I were you and have no fear......if you have good feelings in your heart ...things usually turn out alright.

Have a great holiday either way and let us know how you got on.....Good Luck.

....the only real way to see how lovely Thailand and it's people are is to travel around it by car (or motorbike

No argument there, but that only works if someone else is driving. One can't relax a minute on the roads in Thailand when driving, so I never get to appreciate the scenery- too busy looking out for the dogs sleeping on the road, the kids on a m'bike pulling out without looking first and the maniac coming around a blind corner in my lane.

On a m'bike it's the same, plus watching out for potholes and sand on the corners.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Rent a car for Issan---but download one of the free GPS apps for your phone that are around, ...although many times in Ban Nok you will be looking at a blank screen..... That's when you will need your long haired dictionary to come to the rescue.

Whats Ban Nok?

Ban nok, literally, 'bird home', means a small village in the back country, which, if you get off the highway on to secondary or tertiary roads, you'll pass through frequently.

It's where Nok, the bargirl you're about to make rich, was born.

It means outside, not bird.

That'll be news to Nok, my ex girlfriend. She thinks it means bird, and she speaks Thai, in fact she is Thai.

• 4 months later...

I am driving from Don Muang airport to Hua Hin in early August. I just have a quick question for anybody that is familiar with the expressway heading to Bangkok and other points south from DMK.

Is Dao Khanong regularly and well sign posted on this route or is there a chance I might miss it if I blink at the wrong moment?

Many thanks.

It's awesome, renting a car in a foreign country gives you so much more freedom to explore, it'll give a completely new perspective.

Just have an international license, drive defensively and get a safe car.

I didn't know you can hire a car. If you hire one, can I have it clean my house as well?

Jokes aside...

This car hire thing... is this a european saying? Im used to hearing car rental, or rent a car... I would think you would hire a driver for a car not the car itself.

I'm guessing you don't travel much internationally.

It's awesome, renting a car in a foreign country gives you so much more freedom to explore, it'll give a completely new perspective.

Just have an international license, drive defensively and get a safe car.

More to the point, have good insurance and don't go so fast that if you have an accident you die ( or to be precise, don't travel so fast that if you hit a Thai you kill them, as if you do your life will be **** ).