Who's Car Is This?

chanchao

Guest IT Manager

Let me guess. Shortened 4x4 pickup? Blue?

American, married to a Akha lady. Names Matthew.

www.akha.org

If he or she is the typical missionary type, I say more power to them, about 100,000 volts worth. :o Can't stand them, always trying to convert people from a religion they don't have a clue about and say the people are sinners if they don't convert. Know of a catholic school that won't teach you unless YOU SAY you have converted. Bunch of idiots, them and a lot of other NGO screwups! Give them an education and help any other way but please just let them believe and or worship the way they want to. Most need to G.A.G. :D

Guest IT Manager
If he or she is the typical missionary type, I say more power to them, about 100,000 volts worth. :o Can't stand them, always trying to convert people from a religion they don't have a clue about and say the people are sinners if they don't convert. Know of a catholic school that won't teach you unless YOU SAY you have converted. Bunch of idiots, them and a lot of other NGO screwups! Give them an education and help any other way but please just let them believe and or worship the way they want to. Most need to G.A.G. :D

Kringle, have a look at the pics we are talking about, then you get a grip.

Guest IT Manager

Good idea. If anyone wants a copy and is passing downtown CM, PM me and we can organise one for you. 250 baht and it all goes to the blue truck man.

It's a serious look at Akha Issues, in English mainly, with Thai, and at long last, Akha script.

Mango Tree has copies. Please leave a couple of hundred baht with them, for Matthew. Every little bit helps. also have some at a large Hotel in town (by apoinntment please).

If anyone is interested in doing something to help locally, there is a place called 'Helping Hand' on Loi Kroh, left side, the shop before Fillmore East. The place is run by a Thai woman, not Christian, and not a chaw khao herself...I've found very few Thais involved in supporting hilltribes- unless it's for exploitation, of course...

Anyway, this lady has a shophouse that runs purely on her money, and the very meager returns from a massage (legit) service...Sometimes they don't get a customer for days...She offers free job training to hilltribe women, mostly Akha. Some of the night sellers are here in the daytime, getting training in massage or computer, going to school, or maybe helping to watch kids while the moms are working or studying.

She also feeds them for free.

Another good heart to support, in my way of thinking.

They can use anything. Furniture, plates, clothing, beds, food, money, whatever....Their massueses are well trained, too- just be polite. 200 baht per hour.

Many talk about doing something, but very few do, in reality. This is an honest place, with good people all around. Nobody is stealing kids here, either. Any support you give will be greatly appreciated, I know.

It's a serious look at Akha Issues, in English mainly, with Thai, and at long last, Akha script.

I thought Akha script used something Latin-based with some added markers? Devised by the missionaries no doubt?

Once met a Akha girl who spoke perfect Thai and very good English who taught me some basics. Or at least enough to politely tell the flower selling baby-toting grannies to sod off. :o Talk about stealing babies.. I think carrying around kids who aren't even your own until deep into the night just to gain sympathy to beg for money or sell flowers is also exploiting those babies.

Anyway, the script went like:

[Edited: Never mind.. just became a mess with the Thai and English and things not neatly aligned..]

Cheers,

Chanchao

Guest IT Manager

I thought Akha script used something Latin-based with some added markers? Devised by the missionaries no doubt?

Once met a Akha girl who spoke perfect Thai and very good English who taught me some basics. Or at least enough to politely tell the flower selling baby-toting grannies to sod off. :o Talk about stealing babies.. I think carrying around kids who aren't even your own until deep into the night just to gain sympathy to beg for money or sell flowers is also exploiting those babies.

Anyway, the script went like:

[Edited: Never mind.. just became a mess with the Thai and English and things not neatly aligned..]

Cheers,

Chanchao

Yes Akha script uses Latin with tone marks, and is quite easy to read very hard to pronounce.

There are several versions, though I find the one Matthew did fairly good, though the rising tones make me lose the sing-song nature of the language when I attempt (badly) to speak it.

A sample can be found here.

I agree, MISSIONARIES SUCK! And I don't need your schools or medicine so the chances of me 'converting' and going to heaven are nil. Has anyone seen the yellow signs in Thai that they put up in trees about 50 feet high? They say things like 'Jesus is the only way' etc. etc. Sick, sick, sick.

Has anyone seen the yellow signs in Thai that they put up in trees about 50 feet high? They say things like 'Jesus is the only way' etc. etc. Sick, sick, sick.

I thought they said: "If you can read this then you don't have your eyes on the road and are in grave danger of smacking into an oncoming truck." :o

Has anyone seen the yellow signs in Thai that they put up in trees about 50 feet high? They say things like 'Jesus is the only way' etc. etc. Sick, sick, sick.

I thought they said: "If you can read this then you don't have your eyes on the road and are in grave danger of smacking into an oncoming truck." :o

In which case, I would go straight to ######. Oh my!

I thought they said: "If you can read this then you don't have your eyes on the road and are in grave danger of smacking into an oncoming truck." :D

In which case, I would go straight to ######. Oh my!

So...Jesus could be a h*ll's angel ? :o

######, I said if this guy is the "Typical missionary" type then he should get fried. I am and will always be against anyone who tries to convert people to another religion with the use of food, education or any other kind of lure or scare tactic. :o I am not any religion and don't try to convert anyone to my way of thinking. People are the only really important thing. If your guy is doing good for people without dangling something (education,food) in front of them and without trying to get them to "Convert to save their soul" then fine and dandy. If not, tell him to bugger off and leave these people alone. I'll check into to this catholic school I mentioned before and post what I find. I have met one of the mothers of these kids and they told me that it was the schools "requirement" for the kids to get an education. She teaches there and her kids stay there full time when school is in session and have to do chores (Clean the school and grounds) and HAVE to do religious studies daily. :D This was and is my only point.

Guest IT Manager
######, I said if this guy is the "Typical missionary" type then he should get fried. I am and will always be against anyone who tries to convert people to another religion with the use of food, education or any other kind of lure or scare tactic. :o I am not any religion and don't try to convert anyone to my way of thinking. People are the only really important thing. If your guy is doing good for people without dangling something (education,food) in front of them and without trying to get them to "Convert to save their soul" then fine and dandy. If not, tell him to bugger off and leave these people alone. I'll check into to this catholic school I mentioned before and post what I find. I have met one of the mothers of these kids and they told me that it was the schools "requirement" for the kids to get an education. She teaches there and her kids stay there full time when school is in session and have to do chores (Clean the school and grounds) and HAVE to do religious studies daily. :D This was and is my only point.

Hi Kringle,

I assume you still haven't seen the pictures. Makes sense since they would take a long time to load on a dial up.

His bumper stickers say "Missionaries Suck" and he has them in Thai and English, if that begins to form a picture for you.

Have a look at www.akha.org for more info.

IT

OK, so I made the assumption that someone else had stuck the stickers on his truck, sue me. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers, I just hate missionaries. This is one of the problems in the world today (people telling other people how and what to think or believe) I'll check out akha and get back. There are a few really nice people out there but there are definitely too many bad ones.

Guest IT Manager

IMHO you didn't ruffle feathers, you just had the wrong end of the stick and I doubt you hate missionaries in quite the way he does, or with quite the same basis for it.

• Like 1

IT, Now I have been to the AKHA website and understand why he doesn't like missionaries! I for one, just looked at the title of the post and looked at the photos. It looked as though someone else had stuck the stickers on his truck and the photos of the "church" said "No stolen children here" This gave me the impression that the truck belonged to a "missionary" Matthew is a great person to try and help these people! Missionaries and Toxin are NOT in any way helping the Akha or any other poor people in Thailand. Toxin is just like Bush, rich get richer, poor get poorer. Just more proof that we can't just come into any area and push our thoughts and beliefs on other people. I think you can understand why I jumped to my conclusion if you look at it the same way as I did.

Guest IT Manager

Sure can, but can't stand having people running about with a totally wrong view.

If you want the stickers, I can likely get hold of a few. The book is available as well.

• 7 years later...