Sending money with European credit card?

Yes, just go to a bank with your credit card and passport and ask for a cash advance using the credit card. You'll probably need to go to a full service bank branch vs a small mini-branch like found in many shopping malls. The Thai bank will not charge a fee and you will get the card network (i.e., Visa/Mastercard) exchange rate which is plus or minus a few stang the TT Buying Rate used for incoming wire transfers which is about the best exchange rate the common man can get. But please note your "card-issuing" bank probably charges a foreign transaction fee (1 to 3% is common) "and" cash advance fee (3% is common)...and interest will start accumulating on the cash advance from day one....don't blame the Thai bank for these fees as they are applied by your home country card-issuing bank.

• Like 1

You can register an account with WU and will need to send them copies of your ID for proove of identification... takes 24-48 hours for them to verify, after that you are free to send money to yourself online from anyplace in the world to pick up immediately

BUT... it is pretty stupid to use WU to send money to yourself, as others have said, go to any bank, use either the ATM or the counter to withdraw money, it is MUCH cheaper, the fees for WU are too high.

You can register an account with WU and will need to send them copies of your ID for proove of identification... takes 24-48 hours for them to verify, after that you are free to send money to yourself online from anyplace in the world to pick up immediately

BUT... it is pretty stupid to use WU to send money to yourself, as others have said, go to any bank, use either the ATM or the counter to withdraw money, it is MUCH cheaper, the fees for WU are too high.

I've found it to be cheaper using WU compared to ATM withdrawals and any other method of transferring funds here, from the UK anyway. I guess it depends on the bank you have, I have NatWest in the UK.

As someone else said, if you use your credit card on Western Union, it will be treated as a cash advance, there are work arounds though :)

I've found it to be cheaper using WU compared to ATM withdrawals and any other method of transferring funds here, from the UK anyway. I guess it depends on the bank you have, I have NatWest in the UK.

As someone else said, if you use your credit card on Western Union, it will be treated as a cash advance, there are work arounds though smile.png

You need better plastic.