Mae Sai Visa Run: Rumors they're only giving 14 days? Any recent stories?

Hi,

I am making a visa run with my Kenyan gf from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai and hoping to get 60-day tourist visa....however, was told by a travel agent this morning that they will only offer 14-day visas in Mai Sai.

Anyone done a visa run there and can report?

Thanks, Terence

I was there a few days ago very few foreigners since last summers visa run enforcement,there is a notice in a box outside.

I have yearly visas so didnt read it but my Czech friend went to Laos instead and got 30 days re=entering Thailand an hour later.

There is always a notice stating need 10k cash

Worth noting in Tachkilek they no longer photograph and issue permit book for the town so only one smal stamp for in and out ,same old system inon the right but you KEEP your passport,just show the officer on right side your stamp on exiting to Thailand.

I am sure more informed experts will confirm that as a tourist you wont get 60 days at a land crossing,I may be wrong why not call iimmigration before travelling?

Mae Sai Immigration Office
117 Moo 10, Weng Phang Kham, Mae Sai, Chiang Rai 57130
Tel: +66 (0) 5373 1008 Ext. 23
Fax: +66 (0) 5373 1009
Email: [email protected]
Office Hours: 08.30 hrs. to 16.30 hrs.
Monday-Friday

Good Luck

• Like 1

That notice has been there for ages. If you have a visa in your passport, you will not have any problems and you won't be asked to show cash.

The OP (priestly) seems to be mixed up between visa exempt entries and visas. Nobody gets 60 days permission without a valid visa in the passport. It is not clear what visa the OP has, if any.

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 1

That notice has been there for ages. If you have a visa in your passport, you will not have any problems and you won't be asked to show cash.

The OP (priestly) seems to be mixed up between visa exempt entries and visas. Nobody gets 60 days permission without a valid visa in the passport. It is not clear what visa the OP has, if any.

Priestly here: My Kenyan GF received a 60-day, single-entry tourist visa from the Thai consulate in Penang.

She then renewed it for 30 days at Chiang Mai immigration. It's set to expire on 26 February.

You are right, Briggsy, I haven't a clue about visa exempt entries and visas. All I know is I hope to go to Mae Sai with her and get another 60-day tourist visa.....

If you have a valid tourist visa with a remaining entry you will get a 60 day entry.

The 15 days is only if you don't have a valid visa. Perhaps the agent was not aware you had a visa.

She will arrive with a visa expiring in 1-2 days but it's single entry, not multiple.

If you have a valid tourist visa with a remaining entry you will get a 60 day entry.

The 15 days is only if you don't have a valid visa. Perhaps the agent was not aware you had a visa.

She will arrive with a visa expiring in 1-2 days but it's single entry, not multiple.

She will get nothing at the border crossing because Kenyans are not eligible for visa exempt entries or visas on arrival.

She probably cannot get a tourist visa at any nearby location either because Kenya is on the list of countries that must apply for a visa in their home country.

Has she gotten a 30 day extension for her 60 day entry yet. I don't think Kenya is on the list of countries that cannot get them.

If no 30 day extension the best she could do is get a 7 day extension at immigration to give her time to sort things out.

She will get nothing at the border crossing because Kenyans are not eligible for visa exempt entries or visas on arrival.

She probably cannot get a tourist visa at any nearby location either because Kenya is on the list of countries that must apply for a visa in their home country.

Has she gotten a 30 day extension for her 60 day entry yet. I don't think Kenya is on the list of countries that cannot get them.

If no 30 day extension the best she could do is get a 7 day extension at immigration to give her time to sort things out.

----------

This is another case of incomplete/ambiguous information. Because, even if the law states that she must apply for a visa in her home country, she, in fact, received her 60-day tourist visa through the Penang Thai consulate.

She has received a 30-day, in-country extension to her tourist visa already....bottom line, we will eliminate all possible Thai badness, and throw the Cambodian visa dice and head to SR.

I love the King.

----------

This is another case of incomplete/ambiguous information. Because, even if the law states that she must apply for a visa in her home country, she, in fact, received her 60-day tourist visa through the Penang Thai consulate.

She has received a 30-day, in-country extension to her tourist visa already....bottom line, we will eliminate all possible Thai badness, and throw the Cambodian visa dice and head to SR.

I love the King.

This is what I went by from the Kl embassy that is identical to one on Vientiane website. http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/files/services-20141216-151507-411806.pdf

She may of just gotten lucky in Penang. I would not expect the Phenom Phen embassy to be so friendly.

----------

I love the King.

bottom line, we will eliminate all possible Thai badness, and throw the Cambodian visa dice and head to SR.

I am not sure if you mean that you will go to Siem Reap with no intention to return with your GF to Thailand, or if you believe there is a Thai consulate that can potentially issue a tourist visa in SR. If the former, long term stay in Cambodia should be easy. If the latter, note that the only place in Cambodia where you can apply for visas to enter Thailand is Phnom Penh.
You should also note that ubnonjoe is very reliable in his advice, and you were probably very lucky your GF received a visa in Penang (unless she was in Malaysia long term). It is unlikely the PP embassy will issue a Kenyan a tourist visa.
Good luck!
Edited by BritTim
  • Like 2

Not the same border crossing but I only got 14 days at Ranong. I went to Myannmar with 25 days remaining on my 30 day tourist visa and did a boat trip for 6 days. On exit( believe it or not) they wanted to see my ticket out of Thailand which was for 28 days time.

On re entry 6 days later no request for my ticket out of Thailand but they only gave me 14 days. I didn't discover this until the 13th day then extended my visa at the cost of 1900 baht on the 14th day.

I believe immigration made a mistake-I should have recieved a 30 day visa on re entry.

BTW I've never done a visa run.

Not the same border crossing but I only got 14 days at Ranong. I went to Myannmar with 25 days remaining on my 30 day tourist visa and did a boat trip for 6 days. On exit( believe it or not) they wanted to see my ticket out of Thailand which was for 28 days time. On re entry 6 days later no request for my ticket out of Thailand but they only gave me 14 days. I didn't discover this until the 13th day then extended my visa at the cost of 1900 baht on the 14th day. I believe immigration made a mistake-I should have recieved a 30 day visa on re entry. BTW I've never done a visa run.

You only get a 15 day entry at a border crossing unless you are from a G7 country that gets a 30 day entry.

----------

I love the King.

please do it !!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

does any one know if I get a 60 day tourist visa from the USA can I then go to immigrations in Thailand and apply for a retirement visa or do I have to get a non immigrant o visa first

thank you

If you are old enough (50+) and capable of meeting the requirements of an extension of stay based on retirement (It is NOT a visa) you would be best advised to obtain a Non Immigrant " O" visa from one of the Thai Hon.Consulates.

thank you advanced member

Yes I am over 50 I have had a retirement before where I got the non immigrant "o"visa and then at the end of the 90 days got the retirement visa but some one told me that I could get a 60 tourist visa and then before the 60 days where up I could go to immigrations in Thailand and show profit of income and medical and get the retirement visa. But I want to make sure before I come back there and do this.

Thank you

thank you advanced member

Yes I am over 50 I have had a retirement before where I got the non immigrant "o"visa and then at the end of the 90 days got the retirement visa but some one told me that I could get a 60 tourist visa and then before the 60 days where up I could go to immigrations in Thailand and show profit of income and medical and get the retirement visa. But I want to make sure before I come back there and do this.

Thank you

There is no "retirement visa" !

It is not possible to apply for a retirement extension whilst holding a tourist visa .

If you wish to persue an in country conversion to an "O" visa entry, that can be achieved in Bangkok if you can meet the requirements of a subsequent extension of stay. There is no requirement for a medical .

Why complicate the issue when a None "O" visa is easily obtained prior to your departure

..bottom line, we will eliminate all possible Thai badness, and throw the Cambodian visa dice and head to SR.

I love the King.

Should you decide to try your luck in Cambodia, you could there, ask in your Hotel or in Travel Agency for a Visa Agent who, also from Siem Reap, Sihanoukville or Phnom Penh makes the necessary ways

and brings the Visa for TH to you for a small fee.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/647029-tourist-visa-in-phnom-penh-easy-done/

I doubt, he can do that also for a Kenyan Passport holder, but its worth a try, should your GF would like to go back to Thailand.

(Works also from Siem Reap. Sihanoukville, maybe also other places. and works also for Cambodian Extension of stay, who with no hassle can be done by a visa Agent.)

Second possibility, same others mentioned already, she could go again to Penang.

Worked once, works twice? wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

in PP/Cambodia Kenyan will not get any visa.

She was lucky in Penang/Malaysia.

Vientiane or Savannakhet, both in Laos, will also not issue a Tourist Visa for Kenyans.

Check with Penang again.

Penang might well be a no now. Going by the info posted it seems she got the tourist visa about 90 days ago. The notice posted by the embassy in KL is dated December of last year. Since the consulate in Penang is under the embassy it might be that they are now enforcing the rule.