Phuket residents oppose LPG plant

webfact

Phuket residents oppose LPG plant
Nattha Thepbamrung

1424153853_1-org.jpg
Governor Nisit receives the letter from Sutharat Choosombat.

PHUKET: -- A group of around 20 Ban Nabon villagers gathered at the Provincial Hall yesterday (February 16) to file a letter to the Governor Nisit Jansomwong against an LPG plant project that is planned to be built in the area.

“There are many hundreds of houses in the area. Plus the Ban Nabon School is located around 100 meters away from the site,” said Sutharat Choosombat, a representative of the villagers.

The villagers learnt that an operator has filed for approval to build an LPG gas plant on the Nabon – Chalong Municipality area and therefore decided to gather at the Damrongtham Center. The intended site is also said to have a sign stating that there will be a gas plant constructed there.

“We saw the sign and we were very concerned about the effect it will have, especially that the gas will cause health problems to the local villagers,” Ms Sutharat told The Phuket News.

“There will also be trucks containing gas running inside the community. We do not feel safe as there are many tragic cases from accidents happening to gas trucks or plants,” she added.

Governor Nisit accepted the letter from the village representatives and promised to help the villagers. He also said that he would set up a working team which will be led by Vice Governor Somkiet Sangkhaosuthirak.

“The team will work on the case and visit the land. I can tell all the villagers not to be worried. If the plant can possibly harm their living or health, I think the project cannot be approved,” he said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-residents-oppose-lpg-plant-51049.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-02-17

The only real issue is the 100-meter proximity of villagers to the plant. But without seeing the plant layout, the 100 meters might be the distance to the plant property boundary and not to the actual physical plant location. If there was to be say a 200-meter setback of the plant from the boundary, the proximity may not be a real issue.

Otherwise, LNG in gas form is lighter than air, easily dispersed with breezes. It is difficult to ignite in an open atmosphere, and it is environmentally friendly. Its vehicular transportation is as safe and dependable as gasoline-fueled cars, if not more so. Otherwise it might be transmitted through a buried pipeline. The government should focus on educating the public.

The only real issue is the 100-meter proximity of villagers to the plant. But without seeing the plant layout, the 100 meters might be the distance to the plant property boundary and not to the actual physical plant location. If there was to be say a 200-meter setback of the plant from the boundary, the proximity may not be a real issue.

Otherwise, LNG in gas form is lighter than air, easily dispersed with breezes. It is difficult to ignite in an open atmosphere, and it is environmentally friendly. Its vehicular transportation is as safe and dependable as gasoline-fueled cars, if not more so. Otherwise it might be transmitted through a buried pipeline. The government should focus on educating the public.

LPG is heavier than air. NGV is lighter than air.

They can't even manage beach chairs and umbrellas here.

How can they be trusted to operate a plant for explosive chemicals, safely, and with minimal effect to the local surrounds????

No way would I want to live near it.

For me this has nothing to do with Thailand, I would not want to live close by a plant like that anywhere in the world.

"The government should focus on educating the public"

That would fix a lot of things.

How can they be trusted to operate a plant for explosive chemicals, safely, and with minimal effect to the local surrounds????

For me this has nothing to do with Thailand, I would not want to live close by a plant like that anywhere in the world.

Sure, but at least proper safety standards are met, and proper studies are carried out as to the impact on the environment, and those living nearby.

It has everything to do with Thailand.

Sure, but at least proper safety standards are met, and proper studies are carried out as to the impact on the environment, and those living nearby.

Maybe to you, not to me.

So you would not mind living at 110 yards from an LPG plant in the UK?

Maybe to you, not to me.

So you would not mind living at 110 yards from an LPG plant in the UK?

In the UK there are planning laws. Before you purchase a property, you make certain checks, as to the proposed future use of the property in the area.

I wouldn't chose to live near a plant like this in the UK, based on property value, not based on safety, and what emissions may come from the plant.

I have confidence in the practices and procedures to ensure safety and impact on the environment in the UK. I do not have the same confidence here, for obvious reasons.

Here, especially considering you can't even own a property in Thailand, it would be based on safety, and emissions, not property value and investment.

So you would not want to live near it in the UK nor Thailand, but that wish has everything to do with Thailand. Does not make sense, but that's ok, I'm used to that.

But please don't claim that to me it is connected to Thailand, because as I said, it is not. I would not want to live near one anywhere.

So you would not want to live near it in the UK nor Thailand, but that wish has everything to do with Thailand. Does not make sense, but that's ok, I'm used to that.

But please don't claim that to me it is connected to Thailand, because as I said, it is not. I would not want to live near one anywhere.

UK - due to living near one devaluing your property.

Thailand - risk of explosion and breathing in emissions.

Not the same at all.

Edited by LivinginKata
flame removed