phone calls forwarding from America to Thailand

kekalot

so, here is what I am trying to do:

I want to forward calls from Canadian/American number to Thailand

it needs to be as reliable as it can be and well as cheap as possible

this is the reason why I am thinking of getting them forwarded to a home line.

now, I assume (and hope) that you can get those cheap non-wireless phones that are NOT powered from the wall but from the phone line just like we can back home..

and that phones such as those would work even if the power went down??

if not, I believe a lot of UPS has that option (phone jack in and out, hopefully powered not only shielded)

the options I have been thinking about so far are as follows:

#1. Skype.

Get a Skype in number $60 a year + Skype subscription, unlimited world about $150 a year

Call comes in to computer, if not answered (or offline) calls forwarded to landline in thailand (worst case scenario cellphone)

the Skype app, relies on fair internet and power.
the Skype call forward needs phone line (might work without power?)

the same issues present themselves with something like MagicJack

#2. regular call forwarding services

expensive (seen 200+ a month), but get a call forwarding service using the "real telephony system" and not VOIP to transfer calls that a home line in Thailand and voila.

#3. ???

if anyone can comment on how well those things do, have a similar or alternative setup.. can comment on reliability and quality wise mostly, I would appreciate it.

There is a World Sim, you get the sim mobile number and a US number you can forward one to the other automatically.

There are numerous online companies offering call forwarding to wherever you want, just Google for those.

Example:http://www.vonage.com/personal/features/enhanced-call-forwarding

Another one; http://www.callforwarding.com/

Edited by CharlieH

I have a US Skype number for my kids to call me. It goes directly to both my mobile phone which is running the Skype app and a Skype phone in the house which doubles as a Skype & TOT landline phone.

Cant say I've had any complaints about the service

I have a US Skype number for my kids to call me. It goes directly to both my mobile phone which is running the Skype app and a Skype phone in the house which doubles as a Skype & TOT landline phone.

that's essentially 75% of the answer right there then

the call forwarding part is only if the app won't work (internet down/other issues) for me

do you know if it rings differently or if a dialing wait/delay when people call your US phone number?

echo or anything of that sort

would a TOT or any other landline in Thailand regular phone (not wireless) work if the power went down or is it based on VOIP nowadays (trying to avoid VOIP)

that's essentially 75% of the answer right there then

the call forwarding part is only if the app won't work (internet down/other issues) for me

do you know if it rings differently or if a dialing wait/delay when people call your US phone number?

echo or anything of that sort

would a TOT or any other landline in Thailand regular phone (not wireless) work if the power went down or is it based on VOIP nowadays (trying to avoid VOIP)

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking.

The ring is simultaneous to the mobile app on my phone which is my case is True, and to the Skype/landline phone which is TOT.

As a backup you can also in the Skype preferences set it to call forward to your Thai mobile phone number

Put it simply I've never missed a call, unless I wanted it to go to voicemail

Edited by GinBoy2

yeah, sorry. I meant the ring on the caller side, you know sometimes call forward changes the way it sounds when it rings or it skips.

its not that important for regular calls i guess i wouldn't care but the software that routes the calls we use is a piece of crap and might connect someone before i answer if it rings funny or clicks

as far as rest of the post is well

never missed a call and both ringing is awesomely good news because that setup is quite cheap to achieve

yeah, sorry. I meant the ring on the caller side, you know sometimes call forward changes the way it sounds when it rings or it skips.

its not that important for regular calls i guess i wouldn't care but the software that routes the calls we use is a piece of crap and might connect someone before i answer if it rings funny or clicks

as far as rest of the post is well

never missed a call and both ringing is awesomely good news because that setup is quite cheap to achieve

There is a slightly different ring tone until it locates the phone, but nothing that would I think someone would consider as weird

thanks mate!

good, now i need to figure out which one of them home phone system would still work if the power went down and I think we got the rest covered

we have them (usually red) phones here in Canada that don't need to be powered, only one cable for phone line, they don't go down when power is out

wondering if thats the same way down there

having a phone being able to ring regardless of power outages or internet problems would be golden in this case.

I am using Magic Jack for more than 7 years now with local US number, the oldest model, $29/year unlimited USA, Canada and Porto Rico calls. A life saver for me, and very reliable.

If the small box is not connected to the computer, if the computer is off, or not online, any incoming call will be recorded and retrieved from your e-mail, if connected, the computer will ring like normal phone. If you use a laptop, on battery power and wifi, connected to the Internet, you can call and answer anywhere without needs for electrical power. A new practical way to get connected now is using LINE. The only "thing" about Magic Jack is that the caller will believe that you are in the US, Canada or Porto Rico, by your cell or home phone, and can also be connected to a fax machine.

Edited by umbanda

thanks mate!

good, now i need to figure out which one of them home phone system would still work if the power went down and I think we got the rest covered

we have them (usually red) phones here in Canada that don't need to be powered, only one cable for phone line, they don't go down when power is out

wondering if thats the same way down there

having a phone being able to ring regardless of power outages or internet problems would be golden in this case.

I think for when the internet goes down or your power goes out, the forwarding to your mobile phone is the answer.

I use a UPS for my modem, router and skype phone to minimize the outage risk to the house skype phone

[...] would a TOT or any other landline in Thailand regular phone (not wireless) work if the power went down or is it based on VOIP nowadays (trying to avoid VOIP)

If you subscribe to phone service in Thailand, then it will normally be delivered over wire directly from the Telco central office, with the central office supplying electrical current over the wire to run the phone.

There are also phone services bundled with Internet.

One service will 'share' the wire line and use 'filters' to split them into two services at your building.

A second service actually will convert the phone service into a VoIP service running over the Internet Connection and it gets split out again at the Modem/Router (where you can plug in a standard telephone handset or other 'POTS' device like a fax machine).

As for 'avoiding' VoIP, overseas voice calls can either be made over Circuit-Switched dedicated communications channel, or with the cheaper-rate service they're converted to Packet-Switched (Internet) resulting in the loss of the quality of service guarantees.

-- Global / International Call Forwarding --

If you don't mind paying, you can subscribe to services that will FORWARD all your country calls to your Thailand LandLine or Mobile number. If you want CHEAP then you'll need to utilize the Internet in your solution.

FREE incoming calls, I use Google Voice/ Hangouts and Talkatone on my mobile handset (using either WiFi or Internet connections).

If you have a dedicated Internet connection, an ObiTalk (dedicated VoIP device) will allow you to use a regular handset and Google Voice (Free) or subscribe to other phone services. Or MagicJack.

Many other Internet-based services, but they require a computer or smart device be left 'on' 24/7 to work.

PAY for CALL FORWARDING SERVICE to your physical Thai LandLine or Mobile Number.

Skype call forwarding

skype call forwarding was my first idea, US Skype number in to Thai landline that would hopefully still work on power loss

less than $250 a year unlimited, I think so far that is the best option

I know it's likely "half" based on VOIP as far as the Skype part of it goes but at least not based on MY shitty download/upload bandwidth in thailand

I used Magic jack for years. It costs about $30 a year. You get a US phone number.

In Thailand you plug the device into the wall and connect your internet and a standard phone to it. it used to require a computer but the new ones only need the internet cable connected. Great sound quality and reliable. I used it to receive calls and make calls.

also, I thought they were getting ride of google voice soon?

yeah man, but magic jack uses internet so if the internet is down, no go.

i'm not sure where I will be living so, quite unsure of internet reliability..

as far as i can remember I saw about 3 power outages in about one year living in thailand.

only one of them went for more than a minute