Anusarn

Mahseer

Had a feed at Anusarn last night and was advised that most/all of the restaurants are being moved out in October/November. Apprarently there will be a beer garden where the car park is and the rest will be massage places and shops. Guess 'Mr Chang' has worked out there is more money to be made with the changes. Hopefully not all true.

Maybe she is losing her lease in the same manner as my other Anusarn favourite that sat in front of a certain Irish boozer that has been debated here at length recently. Either way pretty boring but I guess time will reveal all.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine who owns another of the stalls confirmed the rumour to me last night. The whole square is being redeveloped by Chang and the stall leases are not being renewed but many are moving to a new development which will be on what is now the car park adjacent to Fatty's.

Edited by miltonbentley

Face it guys, things are going to change at Anusarn, as it has been the last 10 years, or more. Nobody knows exactly how until there is a meeting or some other notification of everyone.

Edited by Ajarn

dunno about you guys, but i stopped going to anusarn long time back ever since parking there was a whole difficult effort. not that the sea food there is of excellent quality preparation wise, if not expensive.

I agree. Anusarn died a very long time ago. It has long been in need of a cleanup and redevelopment.The food, once quite good and affordable, is simply rotten and over priced. The people working there, once quite affable, became surly. And even if the aforementioned changes had not taken place, the cloud of car exhaust hanging over the place certainly fouled the air for me.

Usually find a spot to park undercover round at the side of the Dun 2 Wan...... :o

Re the market moving.......wheres ...errr.fattys?

There used to be a restaurant at the far end of the market, on the right corner next to the exit, called Saep Ubon, which had excellent Isaan food, perhaps the best in town. Last I saw it had closed down. Does anyone if it has simply moved to a new location? It was so popular that I can hardly imagine that the business folded.

dunno about you guys, but i stopped going to anusarn long time back ever since parking there was a whole difficult effort. not that the sea food there is of excellent quality preparation wise, if not expensive.

I agree. Anusarn died a very long time ago. It has long been in need of a cleanup and redevelopment.The food, once quite good and affordable, is simply rotten and over priced. The people working there, once quite affable, became surly. And even if the aforementioned changes had not taken place, the cloud of car exhaust hanging over the place certainly fouled the air for me.

One tourist's opinion..

>> Anusarn died a very long time ago. It has long been

>> in need of a cleanup and redevelopment.

> One tourist's opinion..

I agree though. I wouldn't send people to Anusarn for seafood, or any other kind of food. (Then again, I wouldn't send people anywhere near the Night Bazar either with the possible exception of Pantip Plaza. :o )

There's better options around for seafood. (All of them a bit out of the way in various directions, admittedly)

Of course, that doesn't mean that residents can't have a good relationship with a particular restaurant where they receive great food and great service. However to send someone just to the general area for food or to buy things, they'd be in for an ueber-touristy experience, similar to touristy areas in Bangkok, even, with the associated service, prices, and food.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Usually find a spot to park undercover round at the side of the Dun 2 Wan...... :o

To Puwa,

There used to be a restaurant at the far end of the market, on the right corner next to the exit, called Saep Ubon, which had excellent Isaan food, perhaps the best in town. Last I saw it had closed down. Does anyone if it has simply moved to a new location? It was so popular that I can hardly imagine that the business folded.

Used to go there with the GF and she talked to them before closing they did not have plans to reopen anywhere. Try "Pratunam" ( I believe pasaat Thai for Diamond) on the Super Hwy. Sign ,only in Thai, past CM Land Rd, before you get to the river. Great food, Isaan, great prices.

>> Anusarn died a very long time ago. It has long been

>> in need of a cleanup and redevelopment.

> One tourist's opinion..

I agree though. I wouldn't send people to Anusarn for seafood, or any other kind of food. (Then again, I wouldn't send people anywhere near the Night Bazar either with the possible exception of Pantip Plaza. :o )

There's better options around for seafood. (All of them a bit out of the way in various directions, admittedly)

Of course, that doesn't mean that residents can't have a good relationship with a particular restaurant where they receive great food and great service. However to send someone just to the general area for food or to buy things, they'd be in for an ueber-touristy experience, similar to touristy areas in Bangkok, even, with the associated service, prices, and food.

Cheers,

Chanchao

It's good food that keeps me going to Anusarn. I go there to eat about once per week. If you don't like the scene at your own place, then you should not not go... But to describe everyone and everything as terrible tells me that you don't have much experience there. Touristy area? Of course it is, because that's why tourists and plenty of locals go there for sai uang, fresh shrimp, massage, or whatever...

For me Anusarn is a matter of convenience and I agree that there are some crap restaurants there but to tar the entire complex as ''simply rotten and over priced'' is slightly unfair to those people that do make a genuine effort and separate themselves from those that set out to trap as many tourists as possible with completely mediocre fare. Once the restaurant that sat in front of O'Malleys changed hands I gave up on it but for 2 years previous I found the food excellent and certainly good value for money but once I did vacate it took many a night to find a decent repalcement but I settled on the second one on the left as the market opens up but as I said at the top of this thread she is being moved on but if your in the area and tempted to try Anusarn before the changes give it a go, you may be suprised and I guarantee you will be given a very warm welcome, something else that the mediocrity in there do not offer.

One tourist's opinion..

Well, you know what they say about opinions......they be like <deleted>, everyone's got one and they all stink. Now you clearly think I be an arse and a tourist, and you might be correct on one or both accounts, or you might be wrong. Even I might argue that inside the city I have become a bit of a tourist. But at least step up to the plate and attack the opinion and not these pathetic, for you, veiled ad hominems.

I for one have not had a pleasant dining experience at Anusarn for years. There are others in agreement. Maybe things have improved over the past two years since my last visit. And I am happy for you that you have found some acceptable food fare there.

Had a feed at Anusarn last night and was advised that most/all of the restaurants are being moved out in October/November. Apprarently there will be a beer garden where the car park is and the rest will be massage places and shops. Guess 'Mr Chang' has worked out there is more money to be made with the changes. Hopefully not all true.

Any chance of buying a Singha there?? :o

• 2 weeks later...
One place that I would never patronise again even if my life depended on it would have to be Lena's

You always had to check your bill to verify that it was not wrong (in Lena's favour I might add)

A right rip off merchant is Lena's

I've always eaten well, at a fair price at Lena's

Usually find a spot to park undercover round at the side of the Dun 2 Wan...... :D

Yes I agree, used to be the best Isan in town and was packed every night. Then they changed cooks, the food went far downhill, the clientele dwindled and it finally closed last year. As far as I know they didn't move elsewhere. Don't know where the cook went.

Speaking of Isan, I've been eating at the resto called Kaen Chai, opposite Siam TV recently and the food there has improved tremendously since I first tried it a couple years ago. Perhaps the orignal Rot Saep Ubon cook moved there ... :o

One place that I would never patronise again even if my life depended on it would have to be Lena's

You always had to check your bill to verify that it was not wrong (in Lena's favour I might add)

I agree. We stopped going to Lenas due to the fact that our bill as quite abit higher than most other restuarants of similiar nature. It may have been in regard to the crab/seafood dishes. Much higher price than we thought. Probably market prices, but remember my g/f getting slightly annoyed about it. Although the food was good but it did leave abit of a sour taste afterwards :o

Speaking of Isan, I've been eating at the resto called Kaen Chai, opposite Siam TV recently and the food there has improved tremendously since I first tried it a couple years ago. Perhaps the orignal Rot Saep Ubon cook moved there ... :o

This has been a favourite of ours for some time. My wife is a Khon Kaen lady and knows good Isan food when she needs it.

Another very good Isan place is a small Gai Yang shop on the ring road about 500 Metres west of the new Rimping. The chicken and somtam there is okay, but things like Sup Normai etc. are to die for.

I agree. We stopped going to Lenas due to the fact that our bill as quite abit higher than most other restuarants of similiar nature. It may have been in regard to the crab/seafood dishes. Much higher price than we thought. Probably market prices, but remember my g/f getting slightly annoyed about it. Although the food was good but it did leave abit of a sour taste afterwards :o

and because she is the only person who can take your money you can wait for ages to settle the bill.