Dress respectfully if attending the Phuket Immigration Office

Totally agree with this, for a change. I really didn't believe the way some people were dressed when spent my hour and a bit there a couple of weeks ago and yes, the vest-wearers were the worst offender, usually worn with beach-style shorts, all displaying an array of tattoos.

Maybe a ban on facial tattoos wouldn't go amiss either!

• Like 1

Farangs seem to always think quite highly of themselves... so why not show their supposed "quality" by wearing appropriate clothes?

Or would there be indeed a "quality problem" with all those farang expats/tourists/students, to the point where immigration must request proper attire?

It's only normal to dress adequately wherever we go.

• Like 1

About time totally agree. Perhaps foreigners would get a lot more respect from the Thais if they did not dress like total slobs. Meaning like a typical alcoholic sex tourist, common criminal or foreign street hooker. I can not believe what i have seen in the tourist areas. Sometimes i think the foreign women are the worst. Half naked i guess trying to compete with the Thai bar girls.

• Like 1

I guess you don,t get it do you? I bet i can guess what country you come from. YOU are a guest in THEIR country. Don,t like that idea please L:EAVE!

Immigration trying to drum up some biz for all those poor tailors you find on every street corner?

But it's not their business to tell a tourist how to dress especially with the police ordering tourists to provide a urine sample in public. Where's the respect in that?

• Like 2

It has absolutely nothing to do with respect - it's about conformity and control.

For most of you I suspect that you resent the freedom of beauty and youth. It's opposite of what you are - enslaved, trapped in old painful bodies, ugly.

Edited by BudRight
  • Like 1

Sadly most tourists/expats/ students don,t give a damn about the Thais nor their culture. I wonder why so many have non stop problems. Dressing like a pig does not help.

Farangs seem to always think quite highly of themselves... so why not show their supposed "quality" by wearing appropriate clothes?
Or would there be indeed a "quality problem" with all those farang expats/tourists/students, to the point where immigration must request proper attire?
It's only normal to dress adequately wherever we go.

• Like 1

You do,nt get it do you ? Curious how long you will last here. It has nothing to do with age. It is called respecting the country your visiting. YOU are a guest here.

It has absolutely nothing to do with respect - it's about conformity and control.

For most of you I suspect that you resent the freedom of beauty of youth. It's opposite of what you are - enslaved, trapped in old painful bodies, ugly.

• Like 2

Hmm Immigration. No problems with them having a dress code but why can't they let people know when they change their requirements.

Yesterday, went for extension of retirement visa. Took all the usual documents along with the correct fee.

Despite having a yellow book and copies confirming my address, I was directed to the 90 day report office where my gf had to complete a notification form for owner of residence which was stapled to my passport along with the usual 90 day report. Not only that but I was then told to go to one of two only hospitals for a doctor's certificate of fitness (550 baht). This consisted of checking height, weight, BP, eyesight test, colour blind test and a 10 second listen to my chest with stethoscope.

Last year, 10 minutes from start to finish, this year...all day having been in 3 queues.

This was at Sri Racha Immigration. Is it the same everywhere?

Incidentally, of 12 staff in the office, only one was dealing with customers.

Edited by hugh2121

So Immigration now has dresscode almost like a temple .... Don't these people have anything else to do than make them self look ridiculous - Again I have to say that hopefully thais are treated equally disrespectful in foreign countries Immigration where I assum all the thai prostistutes will have a problem not showing up in see through shirt ...wai.gif

Ok. The dress code has nothing to do with normal people its the idiots the signs are for. Signs been up for a while now its nothing new. Come in for business in normal street clothes there is NO problem. T shirt shorts flip flops its ok. The dress code is for people who think its appropriate to wear bikinis and no shirts. During my visit last last month, I watched the volunteer tell a woman in a bikini and a guy who came in with no shoes and no shirt to leave. It was great.

No conspiracy here, just good old common sense.

• Like 1

I personally don't see any issue with this. on Samui they have enforced this rule at the licencing center for some time. It is after all a major government office where you are dealing with officers of the realm and government employees. It is only fair and reasonable to be expected to dress moderately and respectively.

I have sat in the queue at the Samui Immigration Office and have seen the other side of the coin, arrogant tourists stroll in with shorts, sandals and nothing else. I find it astonishing to see the look of bewilderment on their faces when asked to don a shirt, they only have to "wake up" and look around themselves to see the other attendee's dressed in a sensible fashion to know they are the odd one's out. To be honest the patience and tolerance shown by the Immigration Office staff has often surprised me and is to be commended, they put up with this on a daily basis which must be very trying.

I've not seen anyone turned away from Samui immigration due to their attire for 2 perhaps 3 years. Last time I was there 3 weeks ago there was a fella in dripping wet shorts and wife beater with his partner in bikini top and sarong around her waist. Neither had footware.... No issue. Oh, and they both had wet hair and covered in sand.

Hello,

As I could observe, Farangs come to Thaïland and think they help the country because they spend a lot of money and that allow them to do everything they want, Thai people are them indebted.

Money can not buy everything, and surely not respect.

Don't forget, girls and guys, we are not here as benefactor but we are here as guest. If we want to be accepted in a foreign country, we have to show respect. And the first way to show it is to be dressed correctly regarding to the local customs.

When we are in the country where we come from and see foreigners wearing beach clothes in an official building, we also make remarks or think bad about it. Why should it be here other?

The only difference is that here, they make it official.

• Like 2

We are visitors of this country and a dress code proper clothing is nothing more than respect.

We can do our best to learn and value the customs of this fine country, treat our friends and neighbors with care and respect, engage in learning the language, and become a loving family member, but if we don't wear the correct shirt when visiting immigration it is all for naught.

Got it.

Edited by SpokaneAl

I remember going to the LTO for either a vehicle transfer or licensing issue. I was wearing 'long' shorts, over the knee with cargo pockets, clean sport shoes and a shirt probably a short sleeved collar but possibly a T shirt, this was years back so hard to remember. It was clean, respectable, tidy clothing.

One of the bosses there flipped out.. No shorts, cannot.. really shouting and raving.. Eventually I did get service but was told absolutely never return if not in long trousers and next time no service.

Total over the top flip out based on some dress code that was never published and I really dont see I was in violation of.. Not wifebeater or short shorts.

I personally have no desire to see those muscle shirts or wife-beater T-shirts that some people wear that show people's armpits. But I would think a decent pair of shorts and a polo shirt with a collar should be allowed. Gosh it is the tropics and it is hot and humid on Phuket.

Not shorts, they are revolting looking on a grown man. You would not wear shorts to a job interview, so why to an Immigration office?

When in Rome. . .

No, hold on - they actually LIKED sandals and short skirts. And that was just for the menfolk!

Could somebody post a shot of the sign(s) outside Immigration to show us what the world's tattiest nattiest dressers would like us not to wear?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

For most of you I suspect that you resent the freedom of beauty and youth. It's opposite of what you are - enslaved, trapped in old painful bodies, ugly.

I'm trying to be respectful when asking this, but what are you on?

• Like 1

I guess you don,t get it do you? I bet i can guess what country you come from. YOU are a guest in THEIR country. Don,t like that idea please L:EAVE!

Immigration trying to drum up some biz for all those poor tailors you find on every street corner?

But it's not their business to tell a tourist how to dress especially with the police ordering tourists to provide a urine sample in public. Where's the respect in that?

Hear we go again Jungle Jim, we are not guests in this country, you do not order 'guests' to report to anyone every ninety days, you do not send 'guests' out of the country for certain visas.

I agree that Thailand has the right to make their rules as they see fit, but if we don't like them we don't have to live here. But stop referring to us as 'guests', 'guests' are people who get invited to a place,

how many of us Farangs were invited to come here?

Yeah, guests does rather imply that you're invited.

Say you threw a party. What word would you choose to describe someone who turned up uninvited, dressed inappropriately, drank all the booze and then tried to screw your sister?

• Like 1

Hmm Immigration. No problems with them having a dress code but why can't they let people know when they change their requirements.

Yesterday, went for extension of retirement visa. Took all the usual documents along with the correct fee.

Despite having a yellow book and copies confirming my address, I was directed to the 90 day report office where my gf had to complete a notification form for owner of residence which was stapled to my passport along with the usual 90 day report. Not only that but I was then told to go to one of two only hospitals for a doctor's certificate of fitness (550 baht). This consisted of checking height, weight, BP, eyesight test, colour blind test and a 10 second listen to my chest with stethoscope.

Last year, 10 minutes from start to finish, this year...all day having been in 3 queues.

This was at Sri Racha Immigration. Is it the same everywhere?

Incidentally, of 12 staff in the office, only one was dealing with customers.

Imagine treating 'guests' like that. What about it Jungle Jim?