Dress respectfully if attending the Phuket Immigration Office

I wish they'd extend the vest ban to all public places.

During the flood I had to live in Pattaya for a bit. This meant doing my 90 day report at Pattaya imm as a one off. I always wore a shirt and trousers to Imm (just common sense) but that morning I was the only white guy not in my late 50s+, not full of tatoos, not with a girl in a mini skirt and not wearing a vest. One guy had to be told to leave his can of Chang outside...at about 10am (!).

Bit emarrassed to be a honkey that day if I'm honest. Is that place still the same?

Sorry you feel so unloved. If you really hate it here why don,t you leave. Question is why do you stay ? Let me guess. Cheap booze, cheap women.

^^^^^^^^^

Like the Thais really really care about us.

How long have you been here jungle boy?

To be honest, you do not strike your reader as being particularly happy with your lot either - why is it you never seem to have a nice word for anyone here at Thaivisa? I am genuinely interested as to why you seem to have an almost pathological dislike of other foreigners, many of whom reside in Thailand on the same non-immigrant basis as yourself?

'If you don't like it, leave' applies to all..

Sadly you sound like another foreigner that does,nt get it. If its so bad why stay here ? Booze is likely cheaper in your homeland.

About time.

When they cease with the corruption and sheer incompetence I promise to buy a suit and tie for the sole purpose of wearing it when I extend my tourist visa a couple of times per year. Until then I honestly think a dirty Chang tank top and flip flops are equally as smart and professional as the immigration process in Thailand.

I love it here. But immigration is a joke, do you really disagree? If you stay in Thailand you cant complain about anything?

Booze cheaper in my home country? Are you drunk right now? Its ten times more expensive. And definitely not sold in 7-11 around the clock.

Edited by Kaalle

They don't really deserve any more respect than anyone else as far as I'm concerned. The fact that they use their "power" to "demand" more than usual amount of respect is telling of their weak and cowardly natures. Pathetic ... the lot of them.

You are quite right... They don't deserve any 'more' respect than anyone else, However, they as with anyone else deserve respect until proven otherwise...... people ought to be more aware and respectful of their surroundings and accommodate the social norms as observed by others...

This means dressing appropriately in any situation, shops, restaurants, flights, offices, etc.....

I'm not saying we should be characterless robots, I'm saying we should make efforts not to look like slobs.

In this case I feel immigration have got it right.

Just like immigration have got it right making people report every 90 days. Having to show proof of this and that, list goes on.

So, what's your problem?

Anyone in those dreadful cargo pants should be sent home

I must have missed something?

what's the problem with these?

attachicon.gif74290_055_01.jpg

Not those, the ugly shorts with pockets all over them commonly referred to as cargo pants. Usually worn with flip flops or sandals with socks, it's the falang uniform, t shirt normally Chang beer or worse Harley Davidson or Bob Marley.

They don't really deserve any more respect than anyone else as far as I'm concerned. The fact that they use their "power" to "demand" more than usual amount of respect is telling of their weak and cowardly natures. Pathetic ... the lot of them.

You are quite right... They don't deserve any 'more' respect than anyone else, However, they as with anyone else deserve respect until proven otherwise...... people ought to be more aware and respectful of their surroundings and accommodate the social norms as observed by others...

This means dressing appropriately in any situation, shops, restaurants, flights, offices, etc.....

I'm not saying we should be characterless robots, I'm saying we should make efforts not to look like slobs.

In this case I feel immigration have got it right.

Just like immigration have got it right making people report every 90 days. Having to show proof of this and that, list goes on.

So, what's your problem?

Who?

Not those, the ugly shorts with pockets all over them commonly referred to as cargo pants. Usually worn with flip flops or sandals with socks, it's the falang uniform, t shirt normally Chang beer or worse Harley Davidson or Bob Marley.

. To be known as Cargo Shorts from Now On...

flip flops are high fashion for your common foreign alcoholic -sex tourist.

Several million pairs of flip flops sold in Thailand every year. That's an awful lot of common foreign alcoholic sex tourists!

Strange. In my experience I see more flip-flops being worn by Thais.

That would suggest that there are more common alcoholic Thais than there are common foreign alcoholic sex tourists.

I guess we knew that already.

I was being flippant/sarcastic. Of course the biggest market for flip-flops are the Thais themselves. Nothing wrong with that.

Jungle Jim ..... what a plonker!

You probably also noticed that my tongue was firmly placed within my cheek.

Well I mostly feel shame how foreigners show up at the Immigration in Pattaya as well. I would have banned them out of the service looong time ago already and i wish they also have a shower before entering the Immigration.

Even at the German Consulate these guys show up like strolling right from the beach or that last drink at a bar into the Consulate: i would ban them also from that and would never ever give them any service.

We sure dont need to wear uniforms or whatever but show up respectfull as they would not do it in their home country as even there they would face problems to be served and respected from an officer!

. To be known as Cargo Shorts from Now On...

I do admit to wanting a Bob Marley or Che t shirt.

Why not uniforms for foreigners? With a coloured badge (one for each visa / extension type)?

cheesy.gif or sad.png

Be careful what you wish for, FAb5BKK. That may be coming next.

Seems a lot of members of TV are very concerned about the dress code of others.

I think my concerns would focus more along the lines of avoiding offensive body odor (all too common I find in Thailand) rather than a fashion choice of any particular individual.

But to each his own.