Engine oil question

wowjudo

Hello

My bike is now @ 2'400 KM and i had an oil change @ 1000 km

the last oil change was made 6 months ago (10w40)

i heard that engine oil goes rancid after 6 months and its recommend to change it after 6 months

and since my engine is broken in well (i guess) i could go for fully synthetic now right or is 10w40 aready fully synthetic ?

bike is an inline 4 btw

10W40 may be synthetic or not.

In above senario, likely not.

Petrolium sits in the ground for millions of years but when you put it in engine it goes rancid in 6 months?

I'm dubious.

Not data to support, but IMO hold off a bit more on changing over to syntho.

Certainly no way will oil go rancid in 6 months, unless you add something.

In my view it depends on what your bike is worth as to whether to go synthetic or not, as the extra protection is marginal, if you have a Wave or of a similar value, forget it, if an expensive highly tuned machine, then yes, anything in between maybe. Sorry I don't know what an "in-line 4 btw" is, Googled it too.....so not a Wave then.

Whatever you choose, it is a good idea to use a recognised brand, since some of the no name oils have inconsistency in their supply. It is, as Forrest Gump says, "like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get."

Edited by AllanB

I always use fully synthetic in my i4. Feels much smoother and gives me better mileage as well which kind of offsets the cost if there is any concern about that. Well worth the extra money in any case.

I don't believe oil goes bad in 6 months, I change mine every 6000 kms (or every 12 months if I haven't reached 6000 kms by then).

no worries for the oil. it can stay for a year and more but ideally, it is good to change the oil every year if you cannot meet the certain kms to change it.

full synthetic oil is better and more advanced for the bike for smooth operation and longer life - hence the price - but better switch to full synthetic at 6000 km after you fully break in the bike.

Edited by ll2

What type of modern bike is so unsealed it allows enough contaminants into the crankcase to 'curdle' the oil?

I could see the old Harleys/BSA/whatever doing that especially if they were in an environment with temperature swings...but now-a-days? Doubtful.

you must keep it in the fridge and use it by the use by date on the package...............................................whistling.gif

I'd agree with most of the advice by previous contributors to this thread

Never in a new engine - I'd even go up to 10k switching to a semi at 5k

Use Brand names like Motul - Castrol - Mobil

and remember that motorbike oil is different than car engine oil as most modern bikes the oil is shared by the engine clutch and gearbox thumbsup.gif

I change my oil about every 7k sometimes even pushing it to 10k and always use FS