flying Bangkok to Philadelphia

Mekong Bob

senior citizen will fly from CNX to PHL in mid-June, return mid-July.

Note that United Airlines and Thai International flights are "operated by All Nippon Airways". What's this all about?

Anyone flown this route lately? Please recommend airline and/or local travel agent.

Why go thru Bangkok? You can take Korean Air straight out of Chiang Mai to Seoul and connect thru that wonderful airport and totally avoid Swampy. Unfortunately, Korean doesn't serve Philly, but other airlines out of Seoul do. This is especially good if the senior citizen will be using wheelchair service, which is highly recommended. There's no charge and the passenger gets priority service thru the check-in, security and immigration lines.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Here is a Thai man's travel agency, who is based in the US, near UAL HQ. www.usaasiatravel.com (Chris). He is a ticket issuer, your confirmation number will be on your cc bill. I wouldn't give an agent 2 THB here, there have been scams, and for the usual reasons, they don't make the press. Go to www.priceline.com and at least you'll know what to expect from Chris, and the routes. He even encourages you to go visit all the other sites first, because he has a better price. You could do something like Korean to Seoul, then to Detroit, then Philly....or Seould to NY or Dulles, and connect..Delta and Korean are partners. And Qatar is worth a look, too.

Why go thru Bangkok? You can take Korean Air straight out of Chiang Mai to Seoul and connect thru that wonderful airport and totally avoid Swampy. Unfortunately, Korean doesn't serve Philly, but other airlines out of Seoul do. This is especially good if the senior citizen will be using wheelchair service, which is highly recommended. There's no charge and the passenger gets priority service thru the check-in, security and immigration lines.

Great plan. No need for Bkk. I'll take that any day.

Great plan. No need for Bkk. I'll take that any day.

Just my experience, just another consideration: I have flown Korean Air to the USA twice in the last 4 months and to 2 different cities. Both trips had an 11 hour layover in Korea.

One way to avoid that would be to fly out of Korea on a different airline if a flight is available. Of course someone just may have a different route than I had on these 2 flighte I suppose.

Also, Korean Air was the lowest price when I checked my flights. I don't think Quatar had the flights I needed.

I flew Qatar to Philadelphia RT in September. Never again. The cabin was filthy within an hour after departure. The entire experience was awful. Edited by jdinasia

With Korean Air, in general the flights to the west coast of North America have long layovers, while those to the east and middle of the continent have shorter layovers. There are a couple of good day hotels right in the terminal for those with long layovers where you can get a good rest.

As mentioned, someone could connect with another airline in Seoul or maybe take Korean to Chicago Ohare and then switch airlines there. Layover in Seoul is about 3 hr 45 min. The connection into Washington Dulles is very nice also (3 hr 15 min in Seoul) on Korean and that would be another good place to switch airlines to get into Philly.

Edited by NancyL

Just my experience, just another consideration: I have flown Korean Air to the USA twice in the last 4 months and to 2 different cities. Both trips had an 11 hour layover in Korea.

You're probably referring to the flight to Seattle. For the OP, the way to go is to Chicago and that flight leaves at midnight (11:59PM) here in Chiangmai, there's a 3.5 hour or so layover in Seoul, and you arrive in Chicago (ORD) at about 9:30AM the next morning. From there, easy to catch a flight to Philly. As others have said, so much better than going through Bangkok these days.

www.usaasiatravel.com will give you a room for the day near the airport, and a meal voucher. I had a 9 hour layover there with Asiana, but was headed to LA. Super nice hotel room, too. The huge, jetted tub couldn't have been better.

We flew Korean Air from CNX two years ago - quite pleasant!

Today, same round-trip flight is $500 more expensive.

This flight attracted a lower class of people I guess.

• Like 1

That's nice to hear as we are constantly being told they the ME airlines are kicking our butts service wise. Even Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum even told us off last week saying we should improve if we want to get our customers back. My experience with ME carriers is limited. I flew EK from BKK to HKG only one time. Very nice flight. Kuwait Airways MNL-BKK also.