How do I stay here? Brit 47yrs

Here is my thoughts about it :

Thailand has forgotten about making an easy year visa for this group of people who are under 50 years of age and who have no intentions for learning thai language i.I hope they fix it soon.There should come a year visa that needs to be extended only every 90 days at immigration office .Rules could be that the applicant needs only show sufficient money in a bank account like 500,000 BHT so thai authorities can be assured these people is not come for some job.Also they can charge a higher fee cause it cuts of the expensive and annoying border runs.So charge 3000 / 4000 BHTevery 90 days..

If Thailand does not make it easy for long staying foreigners under 50 years of age who intend spending their money here and with no intentions to marry or study Thai then you could consider live in other countries such as Philippines and or indonesia..

Buy the way so many foreigners under 50 years of age have stopped with their study visa and have moved elsewhere...Due too tighter regulations

Visas to countries are issued to a person having a reason for one. Wanting one is not a reason.

• Like 1

Inflammatory posts have been removed.

Edit: Forum Rules

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Sounds like you are making an emotional decision, which usually brings tragic results. Now is not the best time to live in Thailand. Also it is not for those who have ambition, creativity or vision. Everywhere outside of Thailand is. Chinese or Bahasa Indonesia is far more useful languages and bring opportunity.

Learning Thai is a distant third. But if you love the place than spending two hours a day learning is nothing. You should want to spend three times that amount of time unless you have no ambition, no creativity or no vision.

Agree to a point. Most DO NOT have any creativity , ambition or vision that move here. They tend to have two things on their minds. Having said that you need a good hobby to stay here for any length of time. I have ambition , creativity and vision. done just fine after all these years.

Sounds like you are making an emotional decision, which usually brings tragic results. Now is not the best time to live in Thailand. Also it is not for those who have ambition, creativity or vision. Everywhere outside of Thailand is. Chinese or Bahasa Indonesia is far more useful languages and bring opportunity.

Learning Thai is a distant third. But if you love the place than spending two hours a day learning is nothing. You should want to spend three times that amount of time unless you have no ambition, no creativity or no vision.

Get 1 Year Student Visa

New to the forum but you know better?

There is no more "1 year student visa". Studying Thai requires 3-6 visits at immigration and a new visa run every year. Cost approx Bt 60,000.

Here is my thoughts about it :

Thailand has forgotten about making an easy year visa for this group of people who are under 50 years of age and who have no intentions for learning thai language i.I hope they fix it soon.There should come a year visa that needs to be extended only every 90 days at immigration office .Rules could be that the applicant needs only show sufficient money in a bank account like 500,000 BHT so thai authorities can be assured these people is not come for some job.Also they can charge a higher fee cause it cuts of the expensive and annoying border runs.So charge 3000 / 4000 BHTevery 90 days..

If Thailand does not make it easy for long staying foreigners under 50 years of age who intend spending their money here and with no intentions to marry or study Thai then you could consider live in other countries such as Philippines and or indonesia..

Buy the way so many foreigners under 50 years of age have stopped with their study visa and have moved elsewhere...Due too tighter regulations

never going to happen, as a lot will then work illegally, people will get around the money in bank as they do with retirement extensions.

Edited by steve187

Im in the same situation and I get 60 day double entry tourist visas at Vientiane. You can extend each entry by 30 days which gives you 90 days per entry and so 180 days with a same day border run in the middle to activate the second entry. I have had 3 such visas consecutively from Vientiane, on the 3rd one they stamped proof of residence and finance required next time so if you provided that then I think you could get more. As it happened when it came to my 4th visa I had only 2 pages left in my passport so not enough space for the Laos visa and all the stamps to I got my 4th at Penang (you only get a single enty there though).

Once I got my new passport I went back to Vientiane (this week) and got another (my 4th) 60 day double entry there no questions asked as it was a new passport with no previous tourist visas in it.

If you choose to go to Vientiane then plan your trip so you arrive early to submit application before 12pm and then collect next day at 1:30pm. I use the 5:55am flight from Bangkok to Udon and that gives enough time to get from the airport, through immigration and to Thai consulate in Vientiane and submit your application.

Why not just take Laos Air from BKK to Vientiane flight 442 which flies every day but Friday? Leaves at 9:35 and arrives at 10:35. 20 minute taxi to the consul and the lines are all gone. You kinda neglected how you got from Udon to Vientiane. A little misleading for any newbies.

Happy to hear your willing to learn the Thai language the smartest thing i have read here in a while. Unlike most expats who have lived here for years and totally depend on their bar girl to help them survive at everything. Fatal mistake. At age 47 that is a bit young to decide to settle here for good but i moved here at age 45 and felt the same. But if i were you i would take it real slow, avoid the tourist slums such as Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Koh Phi Phi or anywhere there will be masses of foreigners. You will learn little about the Thai language and culture if your spending the majority of your time with foreigners who spent a good part of their lives either sitting in a bar, or just causing non stop problems. Besides the Thais won,t think highly of you. Birds of a feather. If i were you i would just come here for six months at a time and really give it some thought before making a big leap. Do not get involved with any Thai women at this point before you learn to speak Thai.your only asking for trouble.

Have you ever lived in them 2 cities or even visited them ?

• Like 1