I stopped drinking and now i'm dead

Gordy Gambino

, I think a lot of British working class blokes have a problem because it is our culture , work , Pub, work, Pub, so when you don;t work or retire early like many Expats in Thailand have , all that is left is Pub and its difficult to fill the hours without a can of singha in your hand at 10am. I know more than a few of those blokes who have died , topped themselves or had a stroke

I went for 2 years without a drink as It was messing my life up , work , missus everything. I drink about now only on Occasion and socially , Weddings , Mates visiting Thailand, West Ham winning a game

If you want a beer mate just think of when you were on the piss the worst days you had , getting up feeling like shit, house like a tip, stinking and skint

If you can control yourself, and do not want to turn back to drinking, have a shot of brandy in the morning with your coffee or tea.

This would stimulate the heart and blood flow as well as open up the veins or whatever its medically called.

But as i said, only 1 shot and only in the morning.

Before I quit, my average rate of consumption was about one can/bottle every 30 minutes. So 30 beers would have taken me 15 hours to drink - Jesus wept, what a freaking waste of a life. But the OP is probably like one of my colleagues who does two to my every one - but even so, that's 7 and a half hours a day just for drinking. A couple of hours in the pub enjoying the company of friends is not a waste of time (a good way to relax), but Holy Mother, 7 and a half hours just to drink?

, I think a lot of British working class blokes have a problem because it is our culture , work , Pub, work, Pub, so when you don;t work or retire early like many Expats in Thailand have , all that is left is Pub and its difficult to fill the hours without a can of singha in your hand at 10am. I know more than a few of those blokes who have died , topped themselves or had a stroke

I went for 2 years without a drink as It was messing my life up , work , missus everything. I drink about now only on Occasion and socially , Weddings , Mates visiting Thailand, West Ham winning a game

If you want a beer mate just think of when you were on the piss the worst days you had , getting up feeling like shit, house like a tip, stinking and skint

More than just working class in British culture. As a young man drinking cultures were everywhere. After playing rugby, playing Judo, business "functions" and especially the military, all plenty of boozing and seen as essential to team building. If you didn't join in then you were viewed with suspicion. Ireland, Sweden, Finland and Denmark had similar cultures IME.

Now there's this binge drinking and cheap supermarket booze culture.

I virtually stopped drinking when I took up serious martial arts study. Now, I enjoy the odd social drink. Some people can't do that. It has to be nothing or a huge amount. They are drinking for the effect of the drug alcohol - not for social or entertainment. That is dangerous and they need to understand the difference.

West Ham winning a game - might as well go TT then mate 555!

• Like 1

Paul Newman, the now dead but famous actor once stated he drank a case of beer every day.

That doesn't mean he did, but it was widely quoted

Maybe he did, if he drank 1 beer every hour in theory he would never get drunk as the liver processes alcohol faster than that.

I agree here,it is the speed of consumption that leads to drunkeness,if you drank 12 beers over 12 hours i doubt you would be drunk,but you would be visiting the toilet on a regular basis.

Just in response to the op,i do beleive that this sudden cessation of heavy drinking is what caused the death of the singer Amy Winehouse,[aptly named],however i beleive she was on the heavy stuff,vodka,gin etc,personally when i do not drink for a couple of days i really do not have any side effects,apart from possibly being harder to fall asleep,which i remedy by reading a book,until the small hours,after this i generally have a better sleep i must admit than if i had imbibed alcohol.

• Like 1

I like beer....but I enjoy lots of other things in life too.

I'd rather never drink again than be forced to sit in a Pattaya bar all day long slugging 45 Baht Chang surrounded by the most boring alcoholics on earth.

I feel the same way about any Wetherspoon pub too....or any other shithole.

That's a lot of beer to drink day-in, day-out.

I doubt I could drink half of that in a day. I almost never drink until nighttime, and rarely drink to excess.

The next day is just too hard to deal with, and I need to be pretty sharp for my job.

Knew a guy that drunk at least a bottle or 2 of tequila a day...made a small fortune...unfortunately he started with a VERY large one.

Functioning is delusional...but I guess you can rationalize anything if you try hard enough.

Stay sober.

Drinking is wonderful if you can control it, know when enough is enough, rock music and conversation are both enhanced with the nectar of the gods.

Across cultures and eras many a dance floor and party's lively atmosphere has been inspired by alcohol.

Unfortunately some folks can't handle it and need to tread the middle path of moderation or even abstention. Never drink before sunset is a good rule.

Speaking of drinking, what has happened to Rangsit? He seems to have disappeared,

Apparently he wrote this song in conjunction with George.....'i'm fed up with looking at your sober ways',,

• Like 1

30 beers a day is about 4,500 calories. Add some food and you would be consuming about 6,000 calories a day. Do that for a few years and you would be huge. What was/is your weight 300lbs ? Not healthy for the calories or alcohol.

I can't believe a doctor would suggest you start drinking again, go get another opinion.

Edited by ttthailand

In Europe a can of beer is half a litre. You were drinking 15 litres of beer a day. You should have drowned in a beer sodden mess.

Don't start again - from one who consumes loads of wine and occasionally a beer (when invited in Scotland cough cough) it is not worth it. But i can pace myself, one day one glass the next 4 etc.

But, if you feel that you can handle alcohol again in a small way. Why not try a gin and tonic with lots of tonic.

After five years of being off the stuff - do you really want to hit that road again? If i was you i wouldn't.

Good luck if you do have a drink, remember - drinking is for fun and to eat and be merry with friends. Not holed up in a flat in front of the telly.

Believe me, I have 3 friends who if they have the money drink 30 cans of beer a day every day. The first thing they do on getting up is have a beer and the second thing is start fretting that they will have enough cans to prevent withdrawal symptoms.

All three used to make a decent living in the building industry and all are now on UK benefits for good. I cannot see anyone of them ever working again.

If you drink 30 cans of beer a day, I would doubt you are a functioning alcoholic. A functioning alcoholic is able to keep his or her job. I don't think you could do that for more than 3 or 4 weeks max.

If you haven't drunk anything for 5 years and are now asking people if it is okay to start drinking again, I would guess that you have already secretly started. The problems may have begun already. If not, they will soon. Sell your car and motorbike today.

if theyre on the dole, how do they afford 30 beer a day?

Good question.

If you read my post, "If they have the money....." So they usually settle on the equivalent of 12 to 15 cans a day because they run out.

1. There are a number of very cheap alcoholic drinks in the UK. Cider is now one of the cheapest ways to get drunk or stave off withdrawal. Aldi sell a 2 litre bottle (= 6 Thai cans) for £2, i.e. 100 Baht.

2. If they are registered as alcoholics, they receive extra benefits specifically for alcohol.

3. Cut down on everything else. As alkies, they live in council flats which are paid for by the social security. Their furniture is free from charities. They need to pay for electricity, gas and the TV licence. Food is a couple of £1 meals from Iceland. The rest goes on booze.

4. Rely on family. Despite being alcoholics, they are still nice people. Don't think of the bloke in the video, he is not representative of alcoholics, he is representative of aggressive drunks, a sub-group of problem drinkers. Their families do not want them to go into withdrawal and try to steal alcohol from shops so they will buy them some cans to tide them over.

I hope this answer helps you to understand a little the daily life of UK alcoholics.