Cbr 500, ninja 250 or ninja 650

parafareno

I have trouble deciding which one to buy

I love the 650 the most, but what is the advantage of other two bikes?

They are cheaper, how less gas do they consume?

How much gas does 650 consume more than a regular scooter 125 that you can rent?

I remember pooring gas each day in that small sucker when I was driving around.

and how often do people steal these bikes, especially 650?

I have an ER6n and compared to other bikes I had, I find it very economical. Not that I ever cared much how much they consume really.

Nor have I ever wondered how much up they are on the thieves' lists before buying them or how much power they have.

For me, deciding what bike to buy, has always been a compromise on what I really wanted and what I could afford. More of a heart before brain thing I guess.

• Like 1

I chose the CBR 500. See my reasoning in the link below. My fuel economy is 4.5 l/100km and I have a box in the back and ride fast.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/729049-cbr500cb500f-v-ninja-650/?p=7906060

So here is my weigh in. First off I ride my bike from Pattaya to Rayong quite a bit to commute to work. In Pattaya I use it to got to the store...etc..when I don't want to deal with traffic in the car. I have ridden the CBR250, Ninja 300, Ninja 650, and own the CBR500.

CBR 250 - nice and nimble, but not much power. Was good for me to rent one for a few weeks to get used to riding in Thailand.

Ninja 300 - Very light and nimble, but constantly downshifting to keep it in the power band. Really like the feel and build quality and the slipper clutch.

Ninja 650 - I felt like this bike was very heavy and hard to maneuver in tight spaces. The thing that really killed it for me was that at a traffic light the radiator fan blows directly on your knees. The power was very good, but I did not feel as comfortable accelerating and braking on it.

CBR500 - I felt this was the best balance for the type of riding I do. It is easy to maneuver, has decent power, and gets good mileage as well. I would like to trade up to a 650, but I am only here 8 more months and don't think it is worth the cost for that short of a time. Also I have found that I tend to use all the power of anything I ride, and maybe it is best to limit the amount available to me.

• Like 1

1BADDAT had good advice.

The Ninja 250 has even less power than the 300 though (about 75% of it); and in order to really get it going you have to constantly wring its neck. Some folks like that. If you're worried about fuel economy the 250 can get better, but to keep up with the big boys, which it can do fairly well, your economy is going to go to crap. I can get some 325km with the Ninja 250; that's bumped up +375km with the 500X. Same sized fuel tank, just don't have to work the bike as hard.

For city riding it's a bit of a toss up to me. The Ninja 250 should be better, but for two things. Those wide bars on the 500X and its seating position which allows a better view and better planning almost makes up for the increase in turning radius.

If you have experience riding, go with the 650. Especially if you are going to be doing a lot of out of the city riding. If you're buying new, look at the Honda CB650; the naked version is 3,000 and the faired version is 15,000 baht more than the Ninja 650. You get quite a bit more HP as well as the inline 4 sound that so many like.

it depends on your experience level too and what you will be doing with the bikes.

if you never rode a clutch bike, better start with cbr250r.

cbr500r is great for the city. it is light and much more better and easier ride than ninja 650. much more better front end feeling at cbr500r with clip ons.

enough power for Thailand too. very forgiving bike that will give you a lot of room for error. it is a lot cheap on gas and maintenance if you compare it with er6n.

But ninja650 is the fastest and more powerful. a lot of grunt if you are into it. it will tour better than a cbr500r but it drinks more petrol.

why not cbr650f?

Edited by ll2

why is new Honda 650 better than Ninja 650?

I think I will make a long trip to Cambodia or laos with my bike. I have a Harley at home so I am used of i driving but because of crazy Harley tax in Thailand, I will stick with Japanese.

Also Honda 650 is more expensive?

I was thinking of buying 2 year old Ninja 650 for like 170000 bht, much cheaper.

But Honda 650 robably costs like over 300000?

why is new Honda 650 better than Ninja 650?

I think I will make a long trip to Cambodia or laos with my bike. I have a Harley at home so I am used of i driving but because of crazy Harley tax in Thailand, I will stick with Japanese.

Also Honda 650 is more expensive?

I was thinking of buying 2 year old Ninja 650 for like 170000 bht, much cheaper.

But Honda 650 robably costs like over 300000?

The Honda has more power. It's an inline 4. It has slightly better specs.

It doesn't have all the aftermarket farkles as it is newer. The dealer support isn't as wide. It is slightly more expensive new.

If you can find a good Ninja 650 for that price, jump on it. That is not much more than the Ninja 300 and cheaper than the Honda 500 (both from new). Of course caveat emptor for all purchasing used bikes, etc. etc.

today seen a ninja 650 2010 model with abs not that abused only for 140 k thb!

cbr650f is new at 300 k thb. it is better as it is more powerful and overall a better ride at all departments.

if you will do touring, consider cb500x as well.

The Ninja 650 is too heavy and I didn’t like the seating position as it feels more like a cruiser that a sports bike. Also fuel economy sucks. The CBR 500 has less power but is lighter more nimble and has much better fuel economy than the 650. The Ninja 300 get’s about the same millage as the cbr500 but is lighter better handleing and has stronger brakes but slightly less power.. For the long rides the Ninja 300 is not nearly so comfortable as the cbr500. Have not tried the new Ninja 250 single thumper. Unfortunatley the zx600 is not available in Thailand. :(

• Like 1

Honda 500 seems ugly to me, Ninja looks very nice....

but how much more is the fuel use on 650 compared to 500 honda?

I am afraid to buy new 650 honda, because I will have to park it outside my condo, and I dont know how jealous are Thais with cheap scooters, I beleive you will get scratches sooner or later on your bike, just my thoughts

when I was staying in Pattaya, my helmet was always on the ground when I parked my bike there, so not sure if somebody was doing it on purpose or not, and my tire was flat once, very weird......

I am afraid to buy new 650 honda, because I will have to park it outside my condo, and I dont know how jealous are Thais with cheap scooters, I beleive you will get scratches sooner or later on your bike, just my thoughts

when I was staying in Pattaya, my helmet was always on the ground when I parked my bike there, so not sure if somebody was doing it on purpose or not, and my tire was flat once, very weird......

I don't think that would be the case, never seen or heard thais damaging other bikes for jealousy. The honda 650 is the best you can get for the budget.

from what I heard from owners, the CBR650 will make 18-22 Km/L

I get good mileage with my CB500F, 24Km/L in the city, but I've made 30KM/L when touring long distances (even 32Km/L )

I just went through this and chose the CB500F as it was a good medium-size bike for around town, riding in the mountains around CM and touring... Put a top box and cases on it, along with a stiffer the rear shock/spring... Light and agile enough to maneuver traffic in town and mountain roads and can still run 120 on the highway... The CBR has clip on bars giving a lower the riding position while the CBF has a riser and regular bars giving a more up-right riding position, which for me is more comfortable... The 250's didn't have enough guts while the 650's were heavier and less agile... The 500 has plenty of power for me, although YMMV...

• Like 2

I don't think that would be the case, never seen or heard thais damaging other bikes for jealousy. The honda 650 is the best you can get for the budget.

I get good mileage with my CB500F, 24Km/L in the city, but I've made 30KM/L when touring long distances (even 32Km/L )

I expect the cbr 500r will do about the same or slightly better due to lower wind resistance.. The heavier thirstier Ninja 650 will do only about half that. The cbr 650F would be more economical but of course has no where near the power of a 600RR..

... The heavier thirstier Ninja 650 will do only about half that. ..

Sorry but I call it rubbish. You'd see a few liters difference at the most, not 1/2 of any other bikes. 1/2 would be way over in the car's fuel consumption.

• Like 1

The more upscale your condo building is, the better, people there tend to be higher educated and own more expensive vehicles themselves and some have camera surveillance of the parking lot.

When we moved from BKK to Pattaya I long term rented a Wave first and we stayed in a cheap rented condo and one morning the passenger rear grip was missing, I asked the guards about it and off-course just got the answer; don't know anything about it.

I heard about one Thai woman here in the village about her Thai parents parked their brand new +2 mill baht BMW car in Central and when they came back from shopping their car was badly scratched on one side, clearly done with a key or something like that.

So yes, jealousy happens sometimes.

I have like HARLEY at home and it consumes gas more than a Ford mondeo, 12.5 km per liter, that is a lot

but if Ninja 650 is so thirsty, that is a deal breaker for me......

so you are saying cbr 500 consumes pretty much the same as a regular 125 scooter?

I got, riding super economically, 507 km on 17 litres one time loaded down with a pillion, tank bag (with a backpack dropped on top), top box, and pannier. That's almost 30 km/l...about 3/4 what a scooter does. Mostly I get about 26 km/l with mixed riding.

I can't speak as to the Ninja 650.

I have like HARLEY at home and it consumes gas more than a Ford mondeo, 12.5 km per liter, that is a lot

so you are saying cbr 500 consumes pretty much the same as a regular 125 scooter?

I got, riding super economically, 507 km on 17 litres one time loaded down with a pillion, tank bag (with a backpack dropped on top), top box, and pannier. That's almost 30 km/l...about 3/4 what a scooter does. Mostly I get about 26 km/l with mixed riding.

i was getting around 18 to 20 kmpl on my cbr500r. max i got was 22 kmpl.

and now getting 16 kmpl to 18 from my cbr650f and max is 20 kmpl.

dave man, i am sure you have the patience of a grandmom for running 500 km on one full tank:) going like 80 km max?

dave man, i am sure you have the patience of a grandmom for running 500 km on one full tank:) going like 80 km max?

Maximum. It was mostly right at 3500 RPM with slight bursts upwards to prevent lugging.

• Like 1

I get about 22 km/l on my CBR500R. We have reports from 3 members on the 500s but no reports from anyone on a ninja 650. The fuel economy must be pretty terrible or apparently they either don't check it or read this forum.

Have you posted any rider comparison between the CBR 500 and 650?

Maximum. It was mostly right at 3500 RPM with slight bursts upwards to prevent lugging.

still man, 30 kmpl is better than some scoots on the market!

i remembered how i got 120 km for one liter in India on an Indian made Hero Honda splendor! when Hero was Hero Honda.

this bike gave me the best fuel economy in my life alas to reach those levels of fuel economy, you dont pass 40 - 50 kph and ride like the best grandmom on Earth.

it was a super reliable and capable bike as well.

Hero-Honda-Splendor-Plus.gif

Overall, OP if fuel economy is a concern - actually fuel is cheap In Thailand - and if you want some grunt and some sport style, cbr500r is the best choice.

At 26 baht/litre, a 24 km/l CB500 will cost you 108.3 baht every 100 km. Assuming the Ninja 650 gets 2/3 the mileage, it will cost 144.4 baht every 100km. Over 20,000km that's 7222 baht.

And you only have to give up 2/3 the power to save that money...

I know I was tanking like every second day in Pattaya like 150 bht with my scooter 125, I think it was Honda click or something, not sure.....but just regular ugly scooter

yes if you want to ride Honda Hero in Thailand, welcome, but you will see no chicks wanna ride with you......even in Thailand, in Europe they would probably ban your ass with such cheap motorcycle

I was living in Pattaya condo, cheap ones for like 2 months.....I saw Harleys parked below, seems to me there are people there that rather spend money for bikes than for condo.....and seems to me low class Thais were there....

I saw some pretty good bikes there, but that halmet always on the ground just jagged me the wrong way...got me thinking.....and tire being flat just like that, and the tires were like new......very weird....

it is pattaya, all the crime in Thailand is concentrated there and Phuket......In BKK you would probably not see something like that happening or in CM

I get about 22 km/l on my CBR500R. We have reports from 3 members on the 500s but no reports from anyone on a ninja 650. The fuel economy must be pretty terrible or apparently they either don't check it or read this forum.

So far the "terrible" fuel economy of 650 Ninja was coming from one particular poster, who obviously doesn't like the 650 Ninja for some reason and pobably doesn't own one.

1/2 of what other bikes get he says? hmm... lets take 20-22 km/l from LL2 example, 1/2 of that is 10-11 km/l. Is he serious??? I can get 20 km/l on my 1200cc bike if I ride like a grandma, but I never ever came close to getting 10-11 when riding aggressively.

Ninja 650 got the same engine as Versus 650. Yes we don't have anyone here with Ninja 650 saying anything but I can't recall any reports of "terrible" fuel economy on Versus 650.

All the modern bikes in the same class will get almost the same economy if ridden in the similar fashion.

I know I was tanking like every second day in Pattaya like 150 bht with my scooter 125, I think it was Honda click or something, not sure.....but just regular ugly scooter

yes if you want to ride Honda Hero in Thailand, welcome, but you will see no chicks wanna ride with you......even in Thailand, in Europe they would probably ban your ass with such cheap motorcycle

I was living in Pattaya condo, cheap ones for like 2 months.....I saw Harleys parked below, seems to me there are people there that rather spend money for bikes than for condo.....and seems to me low class Thais were there....

I saw some pretty good bikes there, but that halmet always on the ground just jagged me the wrong way...got me thinking.....and tire being flat just like that, and the tires were like new......very weird....

it is pattaya, all the crime in Thailand is concentrated there and Phuket......In BKK you would probably not see something like that happening or in CM

why do they need to puncture your tires?

have you created problems for people? did you piss some people off lets say stubbornly parking at a wrong place?

i dont think so there are any reasons for Thai people to puncture your tires out of nothing.

and you are the one asking for economy not me and most of the chicks in Pattaya will ride with you for your money not bc you have an expensive bike so it does not matter if it is a hero honda or a scoot:)

first of all, chicks here like cars like 99 percent of the chicks on Earth if that is the case.

So 12 km / liter is what my Harley is drinking and I rev it up a lot to get the sound....

but I cant beleiev nobody has ninja 650 here, very strange....I saw one 650 ninja only in Pattaya, 2 years ago, but 250 was at every corner more or less and also cbr 250

why do they need to puncture your tires?

have you created problems for people? did you piss some people off lets say stubbornly parking at a wrong place?

i dont think so there are any reasons for Thai people to puncture your tires out of nothing.

and you are the one asking for economy not me and most of the chicks in Pattaya will ride with you for your money not bc you have an expensive bike so it does not matter if it is a hero honda or a scoot:)

first of all, chicks here like cars like 99 percent of the chicks on Earth if that is the case.

are you Indian?