TNT Bomb Discovered Near Thaksin's Residence

Thaising

I think we can safely assume....

Possible scenarios:

1) Thaksin will get enough milage out of the fake bomb to declare the need for a state emergency. He will have developed evidence to support this action. Once that is done he will set about ending the legal process against himself one way or another.

2) The first bomb will sputter and the need for a second or more attempts will be orchestrated to add support to the claim for the need for a state of emergency. Once that is done he will set about ending the legal process against himself one way or another.

3) People will completely see this as nothing more than a desperate man trying to save himself from certain demise. It will accelerate his fall from power.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can see this is really starting to backfire, everyone is going into damage limitation mode now, how many more of TRT will beg the public to believe them that it really wasn't a set up.

As always with these guys you can tell the truth by reversing whatever they say. They are so economical with the truth that in nearly all situations if you just take the opposit of whats being said it isn't often far away from the truth. :o

DPM Chidchai insists bomb plot targeted Thaksin

BANGKOK, Aug 28 (TNA) - The alleged carbomb plot last Thursday really was an assassination attempt on caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, Deputy Prime Minister and Justice Minister Chidchai Vanasatidya affirmed on Monday.

Pol. Gen. Chidchai said that the incident was a real attempt against the life of the prime minister, and that it was not a set-up.

"We received reports of the assassination attempt since August 9-10 and the accused was caught red-handed with evidence," he said .

The deputy prime minister was responding to an opinion poll on the weekends which showed that half the people in Bangkok did not believe the alleged bomb plot against Prime Minister Thaksin was genuine.

The Bangkok University poll found that 49.8 per cent of those surveyed in the capital and its surrounding areas believed the alleged plot on Mr Thaksin's life was a hoax.

Only 20.5 per cent of respondents believed it was actually a serious assassination attempt.

Pol. Gen. Chidchai said he did not want to politicize the issue nor had it linked with politics, but said he could confirm the incident was not set up.

He said he had warned about the plot since his birthday on August 13.

However, the deputy minister did not confirm that military officers were involved in the plot, simply saying that police are investigating the case, and that he was confident that the police could solve the case.

(TNA)-E003

There is so many conflicting statements released by the police that can be used by the lawyer to discredit the evidence. Although if this goes to court we all know that the truth and eveidence play no part in deciding the verdict.

Police fabricate evidences : Thawatchai's lawyer

A lawyer representing the lieutenant accused of attempting to assassinate the prime minister claims police fabricated evidence against his client.

Internal Security Operation Command staff member Lieutenant Thawatchai Klinchana is in custody suspected of attempting to blow up Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

He has been charged with unlawful possession of explosives.

But, his lawyer Sirichai Jaidee claimed on Monday police had amended the items found in Thawatchai's possession at the time of his arrest.

According to Sirichai, Thawatchai was arrested on Thursday of last week in a Daewoo car that contained explosives and was parked at Bang Phlat district near the premier's residence.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Lt General Wiroj Chantharangsi told a press conference three items had been confiscated from the vehicle. These were two sticks of TNT, approximately 20 litres of ammonium nitrate, benzene and a detonator.

Sirichai told news reporters yesterday a police complaint against Thawatchai now stated the car contained 4.8 kilograms of TNT, 1.6 kilograms of C4 explosive, 59 litres of ammonium nitrate and diesel (a total weight of 67.57 kilograms), electronic circuits and detonation wires.

Thawatchai's family asked police General Kowit Wattana investigate the discrepancies.

The suspect's wife Sangworn and other relatives visited him again on Monday.

Meanwhile police investigator Maj General Winai Thongrong said more than 20 people had so far been interviewed in relation to the alleged assassination.

He could not reveal if there would be more arrests.

The Nation

Yeah the first paragraph is correct, only he failed to identify the 'Troublemakers', which we all know to be TRT.

Minister fears pre-election chaos

Interior Minister Kongsak Wantana warned on Monday that troublemakers would cause continuing security chaos and panic among the public for their political gain as the October general election is approaching.

Air Chief Marshal Kongsak said law enforcement officers must be cautious in determining motives when dealing with incidents related to bomb and other security threats.

The minister's comment followed a bomb hoax Monday morning near Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's residence, only days after police foiled an alleged assassination attempt on the premier using a car bomb.

The minister said officials would let police investigators determine the identity of the culprits, and for the time being, 'troublemakers' could not be ruled out.

''I'm very certain that similar incidents will continue to happen because the general election is coming. They'll do everything for their political gain," Marshal Kongsak said, "and officials must use their good judgment.''

Last Thursday, police arrested an army lieutenant for allegedly planning the car bombing to kill the prime minister.

However, the interior minister said comments on the assassination attempt should be made with caution as the legal process is in process and is still inconclusive.

''Many people worry that the arrest of the military officer will lead to nothing. We need to wait for more solid evidence. We should have the truth if we wait for another week,'' Marshal Kongsak said.

He said any comment by Prime Minister Thaksin should be regarded as his "personal opinion:. Earlier, Mr. Thaksin said that the car bomb was targeting his life. (TNA)

But, his lawyer Sirichai Jaidee claimed on Monday police had amended the items found in Thawatchai's possession at the time of his arrest.

ahhh ok, that explains why we haven't seen any of his news postings today on thaivisa. Jai Dee is too pre-occupied defending the accused.

Good luck, Jai Dee! Keep up the good work.

A source close to Thaksin said on Thaksin's recent tour of the north and north-east the police had arrested a man driving a vehicle with explosives in Phitsanulok. Under interrogation he had revealed everything; who he was working for and when they would strike.

When Thaksin knew about this he told his men to keep it quiet in order to lead to the mastermind; this explains, the source said why Thaksin said he knew of the plot 2 weeks ago and why Pairot Suwanachawee, a former member of The Group Of 16 said a car bomb would occur soon!

So come on gentlemen, please arrest all the culprits soon!

Thaksin probably saw another very important benefit from the 'car bomb', namely his announcement he would be unable to appear on stage to the people, far too dangerous.

He can avoid all the protestors!

Thaksin can't stand hecklers, opposing opinions; and following his recent tour of the north and Issan, he knows he will face questions everywhere, this is unacceptable!

So far better to stay in Bangkok, link up on a video-cam, and tell the rural folk he'd love to be with them but undemocratic elements who want to ask him questions are trying to kill him, the true defender of democracy.

A virtual reality PM.

:o:D

ahhh ok, that explains why we haven't seen any of his news postings today on thaivisa. Jai Dee is too pre-occupied defending the accused.

Good luck, Jai Dee! Keep up the good work.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

So would a 1958 Edsel be considered a bomb?

Well it looks like Thaksin is trying to back out of his words. I guess the four military people involved are just his personal opinion too.

This is just one of those things that is reflective of guilt on Thaksin’s part. Changing his story because it did not fly.

To fabricate a hoax, and to use government money for personal gain. I trust that violates some law. All that pay going to the police on a false search when they should be out doing their regular job.

I did not hear much if any news about Thaksin today. That usually signals more scheming or damage control. I think his bomb bombed.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to see him try and defend this cuckoo bomb plot in a live tv debate where he'd stumble over all of his fabrications? He who claims to be so smart and essential for the country won't even accept a televised debate along with other political leaders because he knows he can not possibly handle and remember all the lies he's piled up so far AND also knows deep inside that he's an idiot with a Dr. title that too many doubt he acquired honestly.

Thai history is hungry once again and just waiting to swallow him up.

ASSASSINATION PLOT

Paranoia as mystery grows

Video of interview session shows lone suspect talking of 'power play' and apologising to the public and premier

In a pre-recorded statement released yesterday by police, the lone suspect in the car-bomb case said yesterday he would take sole responsibility for what he did and vowed to not implicate anyone behind the scheme.

In a 13.09-minute VCD recorded of a police questioning session, Army Lieutenant Thawatchai Klinchana also cited "a game of power play" that led to what police described as an assassination attempt against the caretaker prime minister.

He also apologised to the public and Thaksin Shinawatra for what happened.

"I am sorry for [driving the car around] knowing that the car is loaded with explosives. The Siam Thewathirat Guardian Angel proves to exist [to me], making the bomb fail.

"If the bomb went off a lot of people would suffer and I would be sinned forever. Why do we Thais do this [to each other]? All this started from a game of power play.

"I want all sides to turn to each other and talk in order to end all conflicts. I want to apologise to the public and the prime minister for what happened.

"I make all statements at my own will. No one made me do it. I will take responsibility for driving the bomb-laden car. Will I implicate other people? I wouldn't. I am a soldier and a man of my word. I and I alone take the blame."

Crime Suppression Division chief Police Maj-General Winai Thongsong, who released the statement, said Thawatchai told him that he had driven the "bomb-laden" sedan three days in a row until the vehicle was intercepted by police last Thursday.

Winai said security officers at the Air Force terminal at Don Muang spotted the suspect driving the Daewoo on August 9 and 10, when the prime minister's motorcade visited there.

Police spokesman General Ajiravid Subarnbhesaj, who also watched the VCD, said ownership of the Daewoo had been transferred four times, and that all other people involved in the ownership would be identified within the next 10 days.

Winai said police were able to get Thawatchai to talk through morality conditioning ploys. These were recommended by human behavioural experts who noticed that the suspect said his prayers before bedtime every night during his four days in police custody.

The video started with Thawatchai having his handcuffs unlocked while he sat at a desk in a room in the CSD compound with many senior police and two military officers from the Judge Advocate Corps present. Winai was heard asking Thawatchai how his life was and making an offer to give him what he needs.

Thawatchai asked for a battery-powered mosquito bat. Winai said he could not comply with the request but promised to get police to spray Thawatchai's cell with pesticide instead.

Earlier, the suspect's lawyer released an open letter to the national police chief complaining about an unexplained increase in the items of evidence in various investigation reports.

Reading out the letter, Sirichai Phakdee said police indicated there were three items found in the Daewoo sedan driven by Thawatchai, shortly after the vehicle was intercepted.

In statements issued later by police, the lawyer said seven items were reported as found in the vehicle, without explanation as to why the number had increased.

"The inaccuracy concerning strategic information in official documents has confused the public over how police are handling the case, as well as panicking them about the explosives' actual radius of impact," he said.

Bangkok police chief Pol Lt General Wiroj Jantharangsee and the first police statement asking that the suspect be kept in custody - submitted to the Bangkok military court last Thursday - said there were only three items found in the car driven by the suspect.

But all police statements later said a total of seven items had been found.

CSD chief Winai said police were confident they had produced concrete evidence against the suspect. But he did not know whether there were civilians also involved in what police described as an assassination attempt against the caretaker prime minister.

More than 20 witnesses have been questioned and it would be decided soon, depending on evidence to be further compiled, whether more suspects would be arrested.

The office dismissed Thawatchai's reference to a man identified merely as Jui as an accomplice. "The person might not even exist," he added.

The Bangkok military court turned down a request late yesterday evening for temporary release of Thawatchai on bail of Bt3 million, submitted by his lawyer and wife Sangworn.

- The Nation

Looks like from this 'confession' he will keep his mouth shut, and so there won't be any more arrests or any ringleaders caught.

Trouble is thaksin has already said he knows who they are.

This really is playing out like a made for cable movie. It's just getting funnier and funnier. The trouble is in the end it won't be a laughing matter as people will have to die before the country is rid of this despot.

What scares me the most is they are prepared to mobilise people with cash to bring the fight to bangkok. They have to mobilise people as if they don't they know that the people in Bangkok will be able to force Thaksin to quit.

Personally I think PAD should refuse to Rally and wait for the courts, if that fails then there is no other alternative but to rally. As all other avenues will have been exhausted.

An election will solve nothing.

Who did not see this coming.

PM 'wants chums in key army posts'

Sources point to bomb plot as the reason

POST REPORTERS

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has cited the alleged attempt on his life as the reason for placing his own classmates into key army positions in this year's military reshuffle, army sources said yesterday. The sources said Mr Thaksin ordered army chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin to scrap the revised list said to have been a compromise between Gen Sonthi and caretaker Defence Minister Gen Thammarak Isarangkura na Ayudhaya.

According to the sources, Mr Thaksin told his former classmates, who voiced concerns about his safety after the alleged bomb plot, that he had asked the army chief to reconsider the list.

Mr Thaksin was believed to have discussed the reshuffle during a meeting yesterday afternoon with leaders of the armed forces at Ban Phitsanulok.

Lt Thawatchai Klinchana, arrested on Thursday in connection with the alleged plot, was denied bail yesterday by the Military Court, while police vowed to find the mastermind within 10 days.

The sources said Maj-Gen Prin Suwandhat, chief of the 1st Division has been proposed as the 1st Army Corps chief.

Maj-Gen Daopong Rattanasuwan, commander of the Phetchaburi Army Circle, will replace Maj-Gen Prin as chief of the Bangkok-based 1st Division, which used to be a key player in past coup d'etats.

The sources said Mr Thaksin wanted Maj-Gen Prin to be in command of the 1st Army Corps to maintain leverage with 1st Army Region chief Lt-Gen Anupong Phaochinda. Other Class 10 members from the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School are also due for promotion in the Supreme Command, army and air force.

Maj-Gen Thuanchai Phanpermsiri will move up a notch to become head of the army's Engineer Department. However, a decision has yet to be reached over the defence permanent secretary post because the incumbent, Gen Sirichai Thanyasiri, backs Adm Bannawit Kengrian, his deputy, to take his place, while Mr Thaksin favours Gen Lertrat Rattanawanich, said the sources.

Meanwhile, Gen Sonthi doubted that the truth about the alleged bomb plot against Mr Thaksin would be pinpointed as his investigation committee has had little access to the suspected lieutenant.

The army chief complained about the difficulty in gaining access to Lt Thawatchai who has remained in police custody.

''We want to question Lt Thawatchai ourselves but the chances of this seem to be low because he is in police custody. So initially we have to request information from the police,'' Gen Sonthi said.

Senior police, however, insisted that army representatives could see Lt Thawatchai.

Pol Lt-Gen Achirawit Suphanphesat, assistant police chief and police spokesman, said a military judge advocate has been involved in the interrogation, which is in compliance with the justice system.

He also presented a VCD of the interrogation.

The VCD shown to the press yesterday pictured Lt Thawatchai, in Crime Suppression Division (CSD) custody, expressing sorrow over the alleged bomb attempt. He said he had been unaware that the Daewoo car he had been hired to drive and park had been stuffed with explosives that could have harmed the public.

He called on political parties and groups to stop fighting each another for the sake of the nation. But he did not identify the mastermind behind the suspected bomb plot.

His wife, Sangworn, sought his release on bail from the Military Court but to no avail. The court said the case was too serious and also dismissed her bid for bail due to his thyroid disease.

Police have already traced the ownership history of the Daewoo Espero car in which the explosives were found.

Kunakorn Pakpongkanchai, owner of a used car dealership, said he had sold the Daewoo to a man known as ''Seh Tee'' of the Internal Security Operations Command. Police will question him.

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/29Aug2006_news01.php

Anything this guy says is drug induced. Just ignore it as it is only a Thaksin tool.

Something's not right indeed.

"I am sorry for [driving the car around] knowing that the car is loaded with explosives. The Siam Thewathirat Guardian Angel proves to exist [to me], making the bomb fail.

"If the bomb went off a lot of people would suffer and I would be sinned forever. Why do we Thais do this [to each other]? All this started from a game of power play.

"I want all sides to turn to each other and talk in order to end all conflicts. I want to apologise to the public and the prime minister for what happened.

This part sounded like Thaksin talking.

"I make all statements at my own will. No one made me do it. I will take responsibility for driving the bomb-laden car. Will I implicate other people? I wouldn't. I am a soldier and a man of my word. I and I alone take the blame."

This part was obviously from the police.

It all sounds like he's been told what to say, again. The police say they won't bother finding others possibly involved and he now says he won't squeal :D Although I still believe it was all an act, isn't it a crime to withold information that could lead to more arrests? :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

POST REPORTERS

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has cited the alleged attempt on his life as the reason for placing his own classmates into key army positions in this year's military reshuffle, army sources said yesterday. The sources said Mr Thaksin ordered army chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin to scrap the revised list said to have been a compromise between Gen Sonthi and caretaker Defence Minister Gen Thammarak Isarangkura na Ayudhaya.

According to the sources, Mr Thaksin told his former classmates, who voiced concerns about his safety after the alleged bomb plot, that he had asked the army chief to reconsider the list.

Mr Thaksin was believed to have discussed the reshuffle during a meeting yesterday afternoon with leaders of the armed forces at Ban Phitsanulok.

Lt Thawatchai Klinchana, arrested on Thursday in connection with the alleged plot, was denied bail yesterday by the Military Court, while police vowed to find the mastermind within 10 days.

The sources said Maj-Gen Prin Suwandhat, chief of the 1st Division has been proposed as the 1st Army Corps chief.

Maj-Gen Daopong Rattanasuwan, commander of the Phetchaburi Army Circle, will replace Maj-Gen Prin as chief of the Bangkok-based 1st Division, which used to be a key player in past coup d'etats.

The sources said Mr Thaksin wanted Maj-Gen Prin to be in command of the 1st Army Corps to maintain leverage with 1st Army Region chief Lt-Gen Anupong Phaochinda. Other Class 10 members from the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School are also due for promotion in the Supreme Command, army and air force.

Maj-Gen Thuanchai Phanpermsiri will move up a notch to become head of the army's Engineer Department. However, a decision has yet to be reached over the defence permanent secretary post because the incumbent, Gen Sirichai Thanyasiri, backs Adm Bannawit Kengrian, his deputy, to take his place, while Mr Thaksin favours Gen Lertrat Rattanawanich, said the sources.

Meanwhile, Gen Sonthi doubted that the truth about the alleged bomb plot against Mr Thaksin would be pinpointed as his investigation committee has had little access to the suspected lieutenant.

The army chief complained about the difficulty in gaining access to Lt Thawatchai who has remained in police custody.

''We want to question Lt Thawatchai ourselves but the chances of this seem to be low because he is in police custody. So initially we have to request information from the police,'' Gen Sonthi said.

Senior police, however, insisted that army representatives could see Lt Thawatchai.

Pol Lt-Gen Achirawit Suphanphesat, assistant police chief and police spokesman, said a military judge advocate has been involved in the interrogation, which is in compliance with the justice system.

He also presented a VCD of the interrogation.

The VCD shown to the press yesterday pictured Lt Thawatchai, in Crime Suppression Division (CSD) custody, expressing sorrow over the alleged bomb attempt. He said he had been unaware that the Daewoo car he had been hired to drive and park had been stuffed with explosives that could have harmed the public.

He called on political parties and groups to stop fighting each another for the sake of the nation. But he did not identify the mastermind behind the suspected bomb plot.

His wife, Sangworn, sought his release on bail from the Military Court but to no avail. The court said the case was too serious and also dismissed her bid for bail due to his thyroid disease.

Police have already traced the ownership history of the Daewoo Espero car in which the explosives were found.

Kunakorn Pakpongkanchai, owner of a used car dealership, said he had sold the Daewoo to a man known as ''Seh Tee'' of the Internal Security Operations Command. Police will question him.

Out of control! :o Let us hope that some action by the opposition can be taken to correct the serious mistakes made by this regime of outlaws. :D

:D Saw it, but now all should.

ASSASSINATION PLOT

Paranoia as mystery grows

Video of interview session shows lone suspect talking of 'power play' and apologising to the public and premier

- The Nation

So did he, or didn't he, know about the explosives ?

The man "Jui", who allegedly asked him to drive the car, may not even exist ? Like they don't know this even now ?

The arrests may be within 10 days, or may never be made, although Thaksin knows who the plotters are ?

The evidence of bomb-making materials mysteriously changed well after the police had taken posession of the car ? The driver signed-for 3 items, but now it is claimed to be seven ?

The ownership of the car has already been traced, but will not be known for another 10 days ?

And the 'confession' video has, from what we saw on TV this morning, been edited, no doubt to add clarity and truth ?

This bomb-hoax pantomime has become a farce. :o

More Farcical Events For Ricardo's Benefit... courtesy of the PM:

Thaksin plans ISOC clean-up

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will soon order a clean-up of the Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC) where Lt Thawatchai Klinchana, suspected of planting Thursday's car bomb, had worked, an army source said yesterday. The source said Mr Thaksin wanted to revamp the ISOC as many officers at the agency were suspected of involvement in the attempted car bomb attack near his residence in Bang Phlad district on Thursday morning. According to the source, Mr Thaksin views the ISOC as a gathering place of retired military officers who were given jobs without an organised system and may be up to no good.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/29Aug2006_news13.php

=============================================================

Military court rejects bail request of Thawatchai

The Military Court Monday declined to grant a bail for Lt Thawatchai Klinchana who was arrested with a car loaded with explosives near the prime minister's house last week.

Thawatchai's wife, Sangworn Klinchana, told the court that the army officer had health problem but the court said the charges against Thawatchai were severe and he could try to escape if he was released on bail.

The Nation

------------------

now, if he had been a policeman, with say.. oh, I don't know... first degree murder charges for shooting two tourists dead... and had already previously spent a month on the lam avoiding capture..... then bail WOULD HAVE been granted.

==============================================================

Edited by sriracha john

More Farcical Events For Ricardo's Benefit... courtesy of the PM:

Thaksin plans ISOC clean-up

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will soon order a clean-up of the Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC) where Lt Thawatchai Klinchana, suspected of planting Thursday's car bomb, had worked, an army source said yesterday. The source said Mr Thaksin wanted to revamp the ISOC as many officers at the agency were suspected of involvement in the attempted car bomb attack near his residence in Bang Phlad district on Thursday morning. According to the source, Mr Thaksin views the ISOC as a gathering place of retired military officers who were given jobs without an organised system and may be up to no good.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/29Aug2006_news13.php

He's now acting on simple made up suspicions. :o An insane and dangerous man. Does anybody remember Jim Jones?

Also one thing i'd like to point out about this guy in custody refusing to name names.

We all know that the first thing Thai's do is squeal, partly because they wanna save their own skin, but mostly because the police use torture to get confessions.

Now if this guy was really guilty don't you think for such a thing as plotting to blow up the PM they would use a few 'persuasive techniques'.

They would have had a full confession out of him before you can say The Rack.

His statement made on TV has obviously been written by someone else.

This B movie has nearly run it's course, I really can't believe anyone could believe it.

It shows just how gullible the poor in the N and N.E are.

It doesn't matter what spin is put on it on Thai TV, the conflicting statements, timing and just about every matter relating to this shown on the TV make it obvious it's a set up.

I really can't believe anyone is so stupid as to believe it.

Also one thing i'd like to point out about this guy in custody refusing to name names.

We all know that the first thing Thai's do is squeal, partly because they wanna save their own skin, but mostly because the police use torture to get confessions.

Now if this guy was really guilty don't you think for such a thing as plotting to blow up the PM they would use a few 'persuasive techniques'.

This B movie has nearly run it's course, I really can't believe anyone could believe it.

It doesn't matter what spin is put on it on Thai TV, the conflicting statements, timing and just about every matter relating to this shown on the TV make it obvious it's a set up.

The really dangerous thing is that there are people who do believe it.

At the moment certain news stories are well off the "front page". The military look like they'll be forced to accept Mr. Thaksin's cronies in all important positions. Demonstrations in Bangkok will be harshly dealt with and those elsewhere not even allowed. TRT MPs are openly threatening to bring huge paid mobs to Bangkok. This is a serious situation, but it still looks like Mr. Thaksin will make it to the election he cannot lose, barring some upcoming court decisions. Political stability for Thailand looks a long way off. Stability will not be returned by the election as many are now realising.

The really dangerous thing is that there are people who do believe it.

At the moment certain news stories are well off the "front page". The military look like they'll be forced to accept Mr. Thaksin's cronies in all important positions. Demonstrations in Bangkok will be harshly dealt with and those elsewhere not even allowed. TRT MPs are openly threatening to bring huge paid mobs to Bangkok. This is a serious situation, but it still looks like Mr. Thaksin will make it to the election he cannot lose, barring some upcoming court decisions. Political stability for Thailand looks a long way off. Stability will not be returned by the election as many are now realising.

Sure looks that way. :o

Soothing news to placate the masses:

post-9005-1156837159.gifpost-9005-1156837159.gifpost-9005-1156837159.gifpost-9005-1156837159.gif

Deputy PM: Thawatchai's interrogation will make people believe that bomb plot was not an attempt to create a situation

Deputy Prime Minister and Justice Minister Chitchai Wannasathit said the broadcast of the VCD on Lt. Thawatchai Klinchana's interrogation will make members of the public more convinced that the car bomb plot was not aimed at creating a disorder.

Pol. Gen. Chitchai commented that Lt. Thawatchai, the suspect of this assassination attempt, is a man of his word, following the interrogation. The Deputy Prime Minister said all sides will have a better understanding of the situation, and officials are now advancing further on this case, as Lt. Thawatchai did not refer to the responsible party behind this act.

The Justice Minister said the police officers are determined to solve the case after they stated that it will be concluded within 10 days.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand (ThaiNews)

post-9005-1156837159.gifpost-9005-1156837159.gifpost-9005-1156837159.gifpost-9005-1156837159.gif

there you go... it's all been resolved... the show's over... everyone go home now....

Edited by sriracha john

BP report said that he didn't know there were explosives in the car, The Nation reported exactly the opposite.

Any explanations?

Here are some interesting factoids from the Nation:

The rush by police investigators to conclude - even before a formal investigation began - that the bomb was meant to kill Thaksin, has already raised a lot of suspicions. Their conflicting reports punched a big hole in their claims that the assassination plot was well planned and well coordinated. They, therefore, were at a loss for words when the owner of a second car, which broke down on Krung Thon Bridge and was initially alleged to be part of the assassination plot, turned up to state his innocence.

Metropolitan Police chief Lt-General Wirot Chantarangsi confidently told a news conference that the car in question had been left on the bridge to force Thaksin's motorcade to take the main street so it would face the full blast of the explosion.

Talking to the chiefs of the three armed forces at Government House in the presence of reporters hours after the alleged assassination plot was uncovered, Thaksin claimed that his security guards had spotted the suspicious-looking sedan pass by his residence several times. He even related that the sedan was originally parked in the alley leading to his home, laying in wait for his motorcade.

But the next day, Thaksin blamed the media for inaccurately reporting his account. His new version of things was that the car was never seen near his residence, instead it had been earlier spotted near the exit of the military airport at Don Muang where he was taking a flight for one of his trips to the provinces.

Thaksin apparently forgot that everything he said was recorded by TV cameras.

My gosh these guys are good... way beyond the Bangkok Herald-Examiner, National Lampoon, Monty Python's Flying Circus, The Daily Report... The best international comedy writing teams couldn't match this stuff.

Gen. Thammarak has not been notified about army officers who were involved in bomb plot

Defence Minister Thammarak Isarangura Na Ayutthaya has not been informed about the four army officers who were involved in the assassination plot against Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. However, he would like all sides to stop bringing up political issues as the area under discussion.

Gen. Thammarak said the information relating to these four army officers has not yet turned into a case yet, and therefore, people should not raise this issue to discuss. As for Lt. Thawatchai Klinchana, the suspect who was involved in the car bomb attempt nearby the premier’s residence, Gen. Thammarak said the interrogation will be carried out justly and the Judge Advocate General's Department will join the investigation of this case as well. He ha also requested all sides to jointly condemn the ill-intentioned parties rather than blaming each other for creating a situation.

The Defence Minister said further that the important topics that need to be considered are how did the car loaded with explosives was parked in the area and who was behind the scene. People should not just consider whether or not the bomb was ready to be detonated, and they should not relate this case with political matters.

Source: ThaiNews

Apparently the Defence Minister has not talked to the Prime Minister for days nor read any of the dozens of reports quoting the Prime Minister about it, and who btw, is the only one to "raise this issue."

By Seth Mydans The New York Times

SUNDAY, AUGUST 27, 2006

BANGKOK Sounding desperate, Thailand's harried leader, Thaksin Shinawatra, wrote to President George W. Bush last spring with what sounded like an SOS. Thai democracy, he said, is under threat.

"Key democratic institutions, such as elections and the observance of constitutional limitations on government, have been repeatedly undermined," he wrote in a letter published in the Thai press.

Thaksin had been forced by public pressure to give up his office in April, he explained, but was staying on as what he calls a caretaker prime minister.

Bush sent a friendly but noncommittal, and possibly nonplussed, reply.

Since then, things have only gotten worse for Thaksin as court rulings go against him, allies desert, his party faces a possible ban in court, and an election scheduled for October that he could see as his lifesaver appears about to recede farther into the future.

Critics have now accused him of fabricating the assassination attempt against him that was reported Thursday.

Some say this is the endgame in a campaign against him that has included huge street demonstrations and an opposition boycott - and the subsequent annulment in court - of an election that Thaksin won handily in April.

The underlying question is this: Who is threatening democracy and undermining constitutional limitations on government - the people who have taken to the streets and turned their backs on a election, or Thaksin himself?

His critics say that Thaksin has so eviscerated democratic institutions and processes in his five years in power that they had no other means of opposing him or protecting the Constitution.

In a rationale that echoes the one given in the Philippines for repeated "people power" uprisings, they argue, in effect, that they must destroy democracy in order to save it.

"It's not true that Thaksin represents genuine democracy and overthrowing him in the streets is unacceptable," said Thitinan Pongsudhirak, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University. "I think democracy is nuance; it's subtle and has to be contextualized. Just because you have someone coming along and winning elections is not tantamount to having democratic rule."

Thaksin is an election winner, the biggest in Thai history. He still has the overwhelming support of the country's poor and rural voters and would almost certainly be re-elected in a new ballot.

But that would not solve the country's problems, or end the current impasse, his critics say.

"Thaksin says he plays by the rules, but he's the one who broke the rules most of the time," said Kavi Chongkittavorn, a political commentator at the daily newspaper The Nation. "I think democracy means a lot of things. It doesn't just mean elections; it also means checks and balances, it means transparency, it means how you use your powers, it means you are accountable as a leader."

There is some excitement here about replicating Philippine "people power," but if the Philippine experience has anything to offer Thailand, it is a warning.

Precedent is powerful, the Filipinos found: Democracy is fragile, and once the fire of popular putsch is lit, it can smolder for years, then flame up anew to burn down another government.

The response to this in both the Philippines and Thailand is that their democracies are young and imperfect and that their self-regulating mechanisms cannot always be relied on, as they are in more mature democracies.

In the Philippines, for example, former President Joseph Estrada was ousted in 2001 by a popular uprising - "People Power 2" - after a constitutional impeachment process failed because of corruption in the Legislature.

In Thailand, Thaksin's manipulation of democracy has been as thorough and direct as anything the Philippines has seen in recent years. He came to power in 2001 with the country's first outright majority in Parliament, the result of a new Constitution, passed in 1997, meant to create more stable governments.

Once in office, his critics say, Thaksin used his electoral mandate as a cover to begin weakening the checks and balances that limited his power.

He packed his allies onto independent commissions on elections and corruption, the constitutional court and the Senate as well as the military leadership; he undermined civic organizations, intimidated the press and monopolized television; and used his overwhelming mandate to crush political opposition.

His critics say Thaksin has used his office to hugely enrich himself, his family and favored associates. The chief spur to the uprising against him was the sale by his relatives of the family's telecommunications empire to a Singapore firm for $1.9 billion, avoiding most taxes.

As his struggle for political survival intensifies, some military and government officials have warned of the possibility of violent clashes if the street demonstrations resume.

On Thursday, the police announced they found a bomb in the trunk of a car parked near Thaksin's house. An army lieutenant was arrested in connection with the incident, which the government called an assassination attempt, and a general was dismissed.

Newspapers immediately speculated that the incident had been contrived by Thaksin for political purposes.

One option Thaksin has mentioned in the past is the declaration of a state of emergency that would allow him to assume special powers.

Thaksin's aggressive use of power and the uprising against him have set the country on an uncertain course stretching the limits of the constitution and, as Thaksin said, threatening democracy.

"My fear is that we will emerge out of this crisis many months from now so bruised and so bloody that we'll be unrecognizable," Thitinan, the political scientist, said.

A question that many opponents of Thaksin, as well as those of Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, who succeeded Estrada, fail to ask is what would come next if their elected leaders were overthrown, sidestepping the democratic process.

In the Philippines, Arroyo is the product of people power. Yet she has disappointed the public, so she in turn has become the target of people who want to push her from office.

My gosh these guys are good... way beyond the Bangkok Herald-Examiner, National Lampoon, Monty Python's Flying Circus, The Daily Report... The best international comedy writing teams couldn't match this stuff.

Gen. Thammarak has not been notified about army officers who were involved in bomb plot

Defence Minister Thammarak Isarangura Na Ayutthaya has not been informed about the four army officers who were involved in the assassination plot against Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. However, he would like all sides to stop bringing up political issues as the area under discussion.

Gen. Thammarak said the information relating to these four army officers has not yet turned into a case yet, and therefore, people should not raise this issue to discuss. As for Lt. Thawatchai Klinchana, the suspect who was involved in the car bomb attempt nearby the premier’s residence, Gen. Thammarak said the interrogation will be carried out justly and the Judge Advocate General's Department will join the investigation of this case as well. He ha also requested all sides to jointly condemn the ill-intentioned parties rather than blaming each other for creating a situation.

The Defence Minister said further that the important topics that need to be considered are how did the car loaded with explosives was parked in the area and who was behind the scene. People should not just consider whether or not the bomb was ready to be detonated, and they should not relate this case with political matters.

Source: ThaiNews

Apparently the Defence Minister has not talked to the Prime Minister for days nor read any of the dozens of reports quoting the Prime Minister about it, and who btw, is the only one to "raise this issue."

It must be difficult being in Mr. Thaksins politcal organ. It must be so hard to know what you can say and what you cannot say and what is the talking point of the day and who has said what and...

Far easier to just say we shouldnt/cannot talk about that.

Seriously, I wonder if some of his more intelligent helpers are even embarrassed at the ill thought out childlike rants and statements that have been coming from the PM and his more sycophantic helpers.

Analysis on insanity

For the people of Thailand turbulent times lie ahead. Just looking at assorted news clippings across several threads it has become obvious that much more is going on that is generally known. At the moment this is not a moment of democracy, but it is a moment of taking over the country. Although the King and the people of Thailand would clearly like to see democracy, Thaksin will only tolerate democracy as long as he can control it.

If you take in to account the following, a fake assassination threat, posturing by the TRT to squash any others would express their opposition, reshuffling of the military to put Thaksin friendly people back in key positions, court dates looming for Thaksin. All this spells one thing, the desire to survive at all costs. Each thing alone is not significant in itself, but collectively the are a threat to all in Thailand. Like a fly on a Venus fly trap, the plant jaws close slowly to avoid alarming the fly until it is too late. Lets hope the Thais can see this.

Right now Thaksin’s actions are not the actions of a greed filled man, they are the actions of a cornered and guilty man who will do anything to avoid going down. Thaksin is pulling out all the stops to stay in power. The threat of 10 million pro-Thaksin protesters arriving in Bangkok is a very unsettling thought. This sets up a condition that could go off like a bomb. It would provide the excuse for Thaksin to use emergency powers. One he does that he will continue his act to root out any remaining threats. This is one of the triggers Thaksin may use. You can clearly expect Bangkok to look and act like the south if this happens.

The military changes can only be for one reason, secure power and remove threats. If the October vote looks like it will go south for Thaksin he will simply take over the country in a coup. Already the police are his and with this move he will control the military too. If the courts look like they will finish him off then he will simply move the time frame up for the coup and assume a position as Dictator. There is no other reason for Thaksin to intervene in military affairs. The adjustments Thaksin ordered look to reverse the ones just made weeks ago. Those adjustments we designed to reduce Thaksin’s influence on the military and reduce the chance of a coup. This is no subtle hint, it is clearly his plan to reseat his power in the Military and insure his survival. By making this move, not only does his orders insult the intelligence of the officers by implying that are inadequate he insults the country.

Unfortunately I expect bloodshed. I hope the people in the military remember that they are the military of the King and not Thaksin. Once Thaksin falls the people who danced wilt the devil will pay the price.

As this is looking less and less like a democratic process and more and more like a takeover, I suspect it will only be a matter of time before Thaksin forces the hand of the King. However I feel Thaksin will ignore the words of HRH as many feel he has already done.