General questions about buying a Kei Truck (Daihatsu Hijet or similar)

kekalot

I am going back to Thailand in 3 months or so and been looking to get a Kei Truck.

lived around Mueang Phetchaburi, seen those "Songthaews", a lot of the Daihatsu Hijets and also some "less known" brands (can't recall the name at the moment)

at first I planned to get a Honda CBR300R or CB300F or something similar but a kei truck would be a better investment because then I can travel with my dog if needs be AND bring my other bike in the box (and the rest of my stuff here)

for the occasional little drive around, stuff that can't be done with a motorbike.

might make some long distance trips once in a while (moving around)

but definitely not a daily driver.

also,

I had been watching this 1998 Hijet on some website for 130,000 baht but after inquiring about it, I was told it wouldn't have registration. nope.

if anyone is curious which one I was looking at, you can google H29140008 and its the first link

I'm not really looking for someone to try dissuade me from buying one, my choice is already made I just want to figure out the best options and set my pricing expectations

well aware that those trucks are not powerful and that I can't expect them to be super fast and whatever, I am fine with that

if anyone has experiences with those.. I am asking the following questions for you:

which ones are the better buys?

what kind of pricing to expect for 2nd hand?

and

where the hell would be the better places to look to buy such little truck?

Edited by kekalot

truck2hand.com

cool website, a little bit hard to navigate without translating it (or am an idiot and can't find En part) at least found a few with interesting prices on there, thanks.

Cool truck. Seen a few around but never checked them out.

The one in your link looks brand new.

it does, wish it would come with registration.. very clean for a 98

I am kind of partial to the older models, for pricing and looks reasons.

but ya. they want cash and it comes without the blue book. so in theory you could buy it and never register it without the blue book. then the next day get flagged down by cops saying you stole the vehicle.

Edited by kekalot

Prior to Thailand I lived in Japan for many years where the K truck owns the roads. I owned a new Daihatsu hi jet 4wd mini van for the last 4 years there. When I first came here I looked at several. All too expensive and old. I talked to a couple car shops and found out these are all import models and parts are expensive and timely to procure. Really had my mind set on another K but feasibility in Thailand is problematic. I went to the chinese knockoff dealer that sells their version of the K and was very unimpressed.

I ended up getting a Chevy.

would you think the Suzuki Carry would have the same issues you mentionned? I quite prefer the older models (of anything) to the new ones but I know they still sell the Carry at Suzuki dealers even now.

I think the new ones were about 475,000 baht when I inquired... out of my price range for the amount of usage I plan to put on it.

thanks for that, it does settle the issue of pricing... DFM was the other one I couldn't recall and also read about Tata (little more expensive apparently)

still not sure if I should go for DFM over Daihatsu as far as reliability and whatnot goes but that did make me bookmark like 15 pages

Why isn't it registered ? If it's all legal there is no reason not to. Walk away.

not sure why that specific one is not registered but I did fine another one on OLX that (hopefully) will be registered and it's 11k cheaper

I looked at the suzukis. If you want a k truck, i think thats your baby.

yeah, I love the suzukis but I can't seem to find them in my price range.

If I had a lot of use for it I'd be willing to pay up to full retail prices but afaik they were almost 500,000 baht new.