Hydration in Thailand

h90

Today I went 56 km, which was a bit over 2 hours from roughly 10 AM to noon, here in the south. With one big bottle and a small bottle on the bike. (don't know how much is in there? 0.75 and 0.5 liter??).

Mix 30 % Apple juice 70 % water.

Weather sun shine and wind.

I stretched them over the distance and when I came back I needed 3 big Heineken to get hydrated again laugh.png

How do you do it? If you go 100 or 200 km you need a trailer only for the water.....

Today I went 56 km, which was a bit over 2 hours from roughly 10 AM to noon, here in the south. With one big bottle and a small bottle on the bike. (don't know how much is in there? 0.75 and 0.5 liter??).

I stretched them over the distance and when I came back I needed 3 big Heineken to get hydrated again laugh.png

How do you do it? If you go 100 or 200 km you need a trailer only for the water.....

Perhaps do the same as we do in the states - if you can't carry enough fluids plan your rides so you pass a 7/11 along the way.

It also sounds like you could use a fluid replenishment that includes electrolytes. 7/11s often sell Gatorade and the like which could do the trick.

It does seem that you cut yourself short for fluids for that length of ride. I would think that you need a minimum of one large bottle per hour and in this heat and humidity probably closer to two.

The more precise method for determining fluid needs is to perform a sweat test. Weigh yourself before a one hour ride, track the amount of fluids your drank and also if you peeed and weigh yourself as soon as you return. That should give you a fairly price approximation of your sweat loss rate.

Edited by SpokaneAl

If you can't carry enough fluids try to plan your rides so you pass a 7/11 along the way.

It also sounds like you could use a fluid replenishment that includes electrolytes. 7/11s often sell Gatorade and the like which could do the trick.

It does seem that you cut yourself short for fluids for that length of ride. I would think that you need a minimum of one large bottle per hour and in this heat and humidity probably closer to two.

The more precise method for determining fluid needs is to perform a sweat test. Weigh yourself before a one hour ride, track the amount of fluids your drank and also if you peeed and weigh yourself as soon as you return. That should give you a fairly price approximation of your sweat loss rate.

Edited by SpokaneAl

I enjoy an occasional stop to top up my water bottle. My preference is to start off with one larger bottle of water and a smaller one, which is a mix of Red Bull and Sponsor. How much I drink depends on the weather, there is never a shortage of villages shops to buy a 7 baht bottle of water and the ice is always free. Just a few minutes out of the saddle seems to make a big difference to my comfort level as well.

• Like 1

For me I need around 1 large bottle (750ml) per hour. I mix this with electrolyte from High5, SIS or Gu. They're dry tabs that you can just carry in your jersey pocket and add to your water when you refill. It's a bit more expensive than buying stuff from 7/11 or familymart, but I find it far more effective, and no longer suffer from cramps during long/hot days in the saddle.

Hydration packs are good (I have a Camelback one that holds 3L for my MTB), but I find they are uncomfortable on a road bike and you sweat even more due to the lack of airflow over your back.

This is the stuff I use, I would say though that Chocolate milk is just a good recovery drink after a ride as any dedicated recovery drink, so won't be buying any more once I've used this bottle up:

post-22504-1424424266589_thumb.jpg

Edited by moonoi
  • Like 2

For me I need around 1 large bottle (750ml) per hour. I mix this with electrolyte from High5, SIS or Gu. They're dry tabs that you can just carry in your jersey pocket and add to your water when you refill. It's a bit more expensive than buying stuff from 7/11 or familymart, but I find it far more effective, and no longer suffer from cramps during long/hot days in the saddle.

Hydration packs are good (I have a Camelback one that holds 3L for my MTB), but I find they are uncomfortable on a road bike and you sweat even more due to the lack of airflow over your back.

This is the stuff I use, I would say though that Chocolate milk is just a good recovery drink after a ride as any dedicated recovery drink, so won't be buying any more once I've used this bottle up:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1424424264.374471.jpg

are these electrolytes available in Thailand?

Where?

That sounds like a nice solution to refill the bottles with water from the shop + a tap from this electrolytes

Where?

That sounds like a nice solution to refill the bottles with water from the shop + a tap from this electrolytes

I normally mail order mine from Wiggle, Evans or Chain Reaction. Cheaper than buying locally even with delivery charges. I've tried the local electrolytes, they aren't the same the concentrations are different.

• Like 1

Wow, having to wear something like that would really ruin my day.

clap2.gif Mine also ..cheesy.gif

I like to cycle every two or three days;

it's in E-San and do an average of 100 kilometers each time;

sometimes less, often more ;

I have two bottles on my MTB; it's about 1,5 liter of water with nothing inside the water = pure water .

arriving at home it's very rare if they are empty .

Before cycling, I have a big breakfast and drink much .

As say Villagefarang if I want I can stop to buy biscuits, cookies ; drink some orange juice or a Coke...

It's very rare in Thailand to cycle many kilometers without looking after a minimart;

in the north of Pitsanulok province or Nan province which are like deserts ...it's a little bit more difficult.

Edited by Assurancetourix
  • Like 1

If it's a long ride - say 50 km, I'll get through a 700 ml water bottle, stop for a 100plus or something, and maybe a pepsi at the same time, and another 600 ml of water.

And then stop to rehydrate and some lunch at the char kway teow stall across the road

post-60794-0-27477700-1424439878_thumb.j

SC

Agree with Moonoi.

Road bike: Two big botttles - 1 for water, the other for performance enhancing substances. +gels. Plan rides to include 7/11 resupply, and coffee!

MTB: Bottles just don't work. Camelbak style; up to to 3l water, plus gels.....[ and spares, tools, first aid kit etc.....]

Recovery: Choc Milk or Heiniken.

When you are on a 50K run in the middle of nowhere; fashion is not really important.

I sweat buckets (sweat rate is up to 2 liters an hour), wearing this very lightweight backpack won't make a difference. Not just for liquids either, I need food, electrolytes, head torch, mace (when in Thailand) and some of the Ultras require one to carry varying amounts of clothing.

I don't think for fashion, more of wearing that heavy stiff thing. But of course no choice in the nowhere on long distances....For bicycle a backpack might be a good alternative (beside 7/11)

Where?

I normally mail order mine from Wiggle, Evans or Chain Reaction. Cheaper than buying locally even with delivery charges. I've tried the local electrolytes, they aren't the same the concentrations are different.

great info! That helps me a lot thumbsup.gif Will do the same!

When you are on a 50K run in the middle of nowhere; fashion is not really important.

I sweat buckets (sweat rate is up to 2 liters an hour), wearing this very lightweight backpack won't make a difference. Not just for liquids either, I need food, electrolytes, head torch, mace (when in Thailand) and some of the Ultras require one to carry varying amounts of clothing.

I don't think for fashion, more of wearing that heavy stiff thing. But of course no choice in the nowhere on long distances....For bicycle a backpack might be a good alternative (beside 7/11)

I'm permanently on the look-out for a big saddle bag that can take some tools and small pump, a spare inner tube, sandwiches and a couple of cans of beer, but without success - I'd love to be able to get rid of my backpack and let the sweat evaporate.

SC

I'm permanently on the look-out for a big saddle bag that can take some tools and small pump, a spare inner tube, sandwiches and a couple of cans of beer, but without success - I'd love to be able to get rid of my backpack and let the sweat evaporate.

SC

Have you tried a lumbar pack? I find them much more comfortable than a backpack.

The best for your and mine back is to don't have anything on it .

We are not here for competition, but for cycling and shoot photos; so we can easily arrange a break , a stop for buying some food and drink along the roads....

Even on red, laterite roads , we can easily find minimarts .

If, like me, you like to cycle on deserts roads like road 1339 from Na_Muen to Nam_Pat in Pitsanulok province ..

A so beautiful road but difficult.

You MUST have some more water bottles in your saddlebag ;but not in a bag on your back .

A lumbar pack should be the unique solution if it's a belt one.

The best for your and mine back is to don't have anything on it .

We are not here for competition, but for cycling and shoot photos; so we can easily arrange a break , a stop for buying some food and drink along the roads....

Even on red, laterite roads , we can easily find minimarts .

If, like me, you like to cycle on deserts roads like road 1339 from Na_Muen to Nam_Pat in Pitsanulok province ..

A so beautiful road but difficult.

You MUST have some more water bottles in your saddlebag ;but not in a bag on your back .

A lumbar pack should be the unique solution if it's a belt one.

yes you are right.....I actually never brake, but you are right, I should brake a bit, buy water and some banana.....To point of being self sufficient when everything is available...

I recently ran a 100K with this on my back and didn't even know it was there. It are very lightweight and there is no frame, so no stiff parts.

SC

At least for cans you can use the Heineken racing kit instead laugh.png

post-12692-0-27545100-1424489107_thumb.j

• Like 1

I recently ran a 100K with this on my back and didn't even know it was there. It are very lightweight and there is no frame, so no stiff parts.

Just in my in my imagination: When it is full with fluid, isn't it shaking, fluid splashing inside?

Well you answered that question already, still it surprise me. I recall when I was on the way with heavy backpack every day both on the bicycle and on the mountain, I didn't know that it is there as well. It is just a matter to get used to it.

Thanks for sharing this......specially as I consider to run again, as well, just didn't get an idea where, yet.....

• Like 1

Just in my in my imagination: When it is full with fluid, isn't it shaking, fluid splashing inside?

Well you answered that question already, still it surprise me. I recall when I was on the way with heavy backpack every day both on the bicycle and on the mountain, I didn't know that it is there as well. It is just a matter to get used to it.

Thanks for sharing this......specially as I consider to run again, as well, just didn't get an idea where, yet.....

Technology has generated some really nice fluid packs that are used by many ultra runners.