Hydration in Thailand

h90

I don't think for fashion, more of wearing that heavy stiff thing. But of course no choice in the nowhere on long distances....For bicycle a backpack might be a good alternative (beside 7/11)

I recently ran a 100K with this on my back and didn't even know it was there. It are very lightweight and there is no frame, so no stiff parts.

Just in my in my imagination: When it is full with fluid, isn't it shaking, fluid splashing inside?

Well you answered that question already, still it surprise me. I recall when I was on the way with heavy backpack every day both on the bicycle and on the mountain, I didn't know that it is there as well. It is just a matter to get used to it.

Thanks for sharing this......specially as I consider to run again, as well, just didn't get an idea where, yet.....

If you're riding an MTB or Hybrid type bicycle, you probably won't notice it too much, but on a road bike it is really uncomfortable due to the more aggressive riding position.

Another solution is Profile Design do a twin bottle holder that clamps to your seat post or seat rails (if you have an aero seatpost) mostly used by people in Triathlons.

post-22504-14244917246937_thumb.jpg

Just in my in my imagination: When it is full with fluid, isn't it shaking, fluid splashing inside?

Well you answered that question already, still it surprise me. I recall when I was on the way with heavy backpack every day both on the bicycle and on the mountain, I didn't know that it is there as well. It is just a matter to get used to it.

Thanks for sharing this......specially as I consider to run again, as well, just didn't get an idea where, yet.....

The bottles in front slosh more (I have two bottles in front with water and electrolytes) but even that I do not hear after some time. I run with music anyway:-)

But true, the running back-packs have come a long way. I still have an old Camelbak, the thing weighs a ton when empty.

Anyway, on the Ultras you have no choice as carrying a minimum of two liters of water is obligatory and I'd hat to carry that in my hands.

On a road bike, this should be a no-brainer, because you pass refuel stops all the time, 7/11, street stalls, mom-and-pop shops, you name it. So all you need is one large bottle. Might spoil your KOM segment time to stop for water, but if you even start thinking about that you should probably ditch Strava.

On an MTB, I never go without my Camelbak. 50 km is a 2-hours cakewalk on the road, but it is an energy- and water-draining 5-hours tour on bumpy offroad terrain. Plus as a mountainbiker you often find yourself in remote areas without shops, so refuel planning is essential. On very long tours in the wilderness I bring a waterfilter, so I can draw water from any source.

Hydration needs depend on climate and tour characteristics. Currently, the climate is hot and dry. The body cooling mechanism (sweat) works fine. In hot and humid climate, sweating doesn't work well, therefore you sweat more and therefore you need more water.

Cheers, CM-Expat

One more thing: beer is a bad idea for hydration, because it has diuretic properties; in layman terms: it makes you pee and therefore you lose more water than you take in. Best hydration is coconut water - nature's sport drink. It is sugar-free, non-acidic, and contains electrolytes, lots of potassium and other minerals. Fortunately, coconut is fairly easy to come by in Thailand. biggrin.png

Cheers, CM-Expat

Edited by chiangmaiexpat
  • Like 1

Don't take that beer thing to serious that is an ongoing joke for at least 70 years.....One doc recommended it after Sauna if you tend to kidney stones.

It is isotonic. Where I come from it has usually 1 % less alcohol and than mostly drank after sport mixed with 50% or more with fruit juice or some sodas. So 2 % or less alcohol.

Yes 50 km are supposed to be nothing, but for me after 15 years only moving my fingers it is challenging....My first trip was 17 km. End of the year I want to do 100 km easily again.....

The amount of fluid I need here surprises me. In summer Austria can be hotter than Thailand but dry air. Never been soaked wet on a flat street. Usually my tracks in the alps are along cold rivers. Small shops are the solution......

Learning......

CM-Expat: ever saw good MTB tracks in the South? While I was never good on the MTB, I miss the hard ascents.....

I overdid the rehydration last night, and I'm suffering for it now...

Overrehydration is one of the biggest problems when biking burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRRlTrnUTOl

Have a strong coffee, plenty of water and an Aspirin...

I wish you a speedy recovery!!

I overdid the rehydration last night, and I'm suffering for it now...

Overrehydration is one of the biggest problems when biking burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRRlTrnUTOl

Have a strong coffee, plenty of water and an Aspirin...

I wish you a speedy recovery!!

Mad dogs and Englishmen...

post-60794-0-20423700-1424654229_thumb.j

post-60794-0-29968900-1424654271_thumb.j

50 kilometres over the middle of the day, and four pubs...

I had about 1.6 litres of water, 900 ml of soft drinks, and 2 litres of beer without taking a piss.

Most of the elctrolyte powders sold here have identical ingredients. Just about every 7/11 sells them for about 7 baht/packet. You can get boxes of 25 packets in Makro for 65 baht.

where are they at Makro or Big C / Tesco ? Which department and are they flavored or ?????

any picture / link so I can put it on my phone ?

Thanks

• Like 1

I buy the electrolyte I put ( sometimes , not often) in my water at the central drugstore of my town;

it's a package of 50 little bags like on the photo ;

the normal price is 350 baht but I pay each time only 175 baht , so 3,5 baht piece

16618311052_aa3112e778_b.jpg

It's written one piece for 250cc ; so in the grey bottle which is 0,75 l I have to put in 3 packs but often I put only one;

I will try with two

16478486385_937202ed13_b.jpg

Don't take that beer thing to serious that is an ongoing joke for at least 70 years.....One doc recommended it after Sauna if you tend to kidney stones.

It is isotonic. Where I come from it has usually 1 % less alcohol and than mostly drank after sport mixed with 50% or more with fruit juice or some sodas. So 2 % or less alcohol.

I think you must be talking about what they call "Radler" (shandy) in German speaking countries. A beer after a hard cycling day is perfect, of course. If you are within the reach of civilisation and hydration options.

CM-Expat: ever saw good MTB tracks in the South? While I was never good on the MTB, I miss the hard ascents.....

Um, nothing that can compare to the trails around Chiang Mai. I don't think you can find 16km+ downhill routes anywhere else in Thailand. There are a couple of trails, such as Khao Ito in Prachinburi, Hin Lek Fai in Hua Hin, Tam Pratoon in Chonburi, Khao Plong in Chainat that I know of. They are all short but sweet. XC is another story; there are trails everywhere but they are hard to find and change often. For road riding, there are a couple of short steep climbs around Hua Hin.

The Alps on the other hand are in a different league. 2000m descents, fast downhill, technical singletrack, steep vertriding, restaurants and Berghütten everywhere, bike parks, it's paradise. In the summer.

Cheers, CM-Expat

I buy the electrolyte I put ( sometimes , not often) in my water at the central drugstore of my town;

it's a package of 50 little bags like on the photo ;

the normal price is 350 baht but I pay each time only 175 baht , so 3,5 baht piece

16618311052_aa3112e778_b.jpg

It's written one piece for 250cc ; so in the grey bottle which is 0,75 l I have to put in 3 packs but often I put only one;

I will try with two

Can you use too much of this ?

and if so what would happen ?

and thanks for the picture

I think you must be talking about what they call "Radler" (shandy) in German speaking countries. A beer after a hard cycling day is perfect, of course. If you are within the reach of civilisation and hydration options.

Um, nothing that can compare to the trails around Chiang Mai. I don't think you can find 16km+ downhill routes anywhere else in Thailand. There are a couple of trails, such as Khao Ito in Prachinburi, Hin Lek Fai in Hua Hin, Tam Pratoon in Chonburi, Khao Plong in Chainat that I know of. They are all short but sweet. XC is another story; there are trails everywhere but they are hard to find and change often. For road riding, there are a couple of short steep climbs around Hua Hin.

The Alps on the other hand are in a different league. 2000m descents, fast downhill, technical singletrack, steep vertriding, restaurants and Berghütten everywhere, bike parks, it's paradise. In the summer.

Cheers, CM-Expat

yes Radler....Well there is always the risk of overrehydration....sitting happy......drink one more....be hungry but a bit too lazy to eat....drink one more....

Yes, you can have too much of it.

When overused, the kidneys cannot maintain electrolyte balance in the body, which has a whole array of possible consequences, depending on which electrolyte is oversupplied. This effect can be countered by drinking plenty of water. For a healthy person, this would probably have to be quite a few bags, but one must be aware that these bags are sold in two different configurations: one for sport applications (electrolyte loss through sweating) and one for sickness (electrolyte loss through diarrhea); the latter often has 10 times the dose of electrolytes of the former.

Cheers, CM-Expat

For me I need around 1 large bottle (750ml) per hour. I mix this with electrolyte from High5, SIS or Gu. They're dry tabs that you can just carry in your jersey pocket and add to your water when you refill. It's a bit more expensive than buying stuff from 7/11 or familymart, but I find it far more effective, and no longer suffer from cramps during long/hot days in the saddle.

Hydration packs are good (I have a Camelback one that holds 3L for my MTB), but I find they are uncomfortable on a road bike and you sweat even more due to the lack of airflow over your back.

This is the stuff I use, I would say though that Chocolate milk is just a good recovery drink after a ride as any dedicated recovery drink, so won't be buying any more once I've used this bottle up:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1424424264.374471.jpg

Can you recommend any of these products over other one (without caffeine). I just wanted to order and didn;t know which one to take...

Actually, you can even have too much water. Apparently, a good number of people at Marathons these days are over-hydrated.

Wouldn't you simply pee it out?

Apparently there have been cases where people have over-hydrated and disrupted the balances in their bodies to the point of causing death.

w00t.gif

How is that possible without injecting the fluids?

I mean I know it is theoretically possible, but you would have to force fluids into you when you already feel very bad....It is not that you drink a bottle water too much and die.

I know people who drank 10 liter beer (beer with less alcohol than in Thailand) and no one ever worried for they being over-hydrated....only worried for the liver.

So I wonder what amounts in what short period of time these who died from over-hydrating drank.

Apparently there have been cases where people have over-hydrated and disrupted the balances in their bodies to the point of causing death.

w00t.gif

How is that possible without injecting the fluids?

I mean I know it is theoretically possible, but you would have to force fluids into you when you already feel very bad....It is not that you drink a bottle water too much and die.

I know people who drank 10 liter beer (beer with less alcohol than in Thailand) and no one ever worried for they being over-hydrated....only worried for the liver.

So I wonder what amounts in what short period of time these who died from over-hydrating drank.

I believe it happened on conjunction with excessive exercise which lead to the loss of electrolytes. This was apparently exasperated by further dilution by drinking too much water without replacing the electrolytes. At least that is what I remember reading. Then again you can’t always believe everything you read.

Not so much to do with exercise, I remember this story very well: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16614865/ns/us_news-life/t/woman-dies-after-water-drinking-contest/#.VO8oEFOUfJ4

It is rare, but the problem with drinking too much before a marathon is not that you will die, it is carrying liters of sloshing liquid around. It will not be very comfortable.....

Its not that rare. The consumption of excessive water causes dilution of sodium levels.

Sodium is there to balance the fluid around your cells. If there is an imbalance then that fluid can pass from your blood into the cells causing swelling. Obviously if this occurs within the brain it can lead to big trouble.

Listen to your body, drink when you're thirsty :)

Its not that rare. The consumption of excessive water causes dilution of sodium levels.

Sodium is there to balance the fluid around your cells. If there is an imbalance then that fluid can pass from your blood into the cells causing swelling. Obviously if this occurs within the brain it can lead to big trouble.

Listen to your body, drink when you're thirsty smile.png

That is the general consensus now. Don't drink x pints of water a day, drink when you are thirsty. Having said that, temperatures and humidity in our parts of the world can be harsh and I do drink before going out for a long run or ride (water that is).

That is the general consensus now. Don't drink x pints of water a day, drink when you are thirsty. Having said that, temperatures and humidity in our parts of the world can be harsh and I do drink before going out for a long run or ride (water that is).

But I thing there is a huge margin of error that won't cause any immediate problem. Without sport I guess between 0.5 (OK kidney stones) and 10 liter (many proofed it with beer) per day seems to be no problem. Kidney is well balancing it if healthy.

Some people don't feel thirsty very well (and less when stressed), but with just a minimum of common sense it is doable.....And I think the bigger problem is when in the office and you forget to drink something.

So I can't see any real life problem

But I thing there is a huge margin of error that won't cause any immediate problem. Without sport I guess between 0.5 (OK kidney stones) and 10 liter (many proofed it with beer) per day seems to be no problem. Kidney is well balancing it if healthy.

Some people don't feel thirsty very well (and less when stressed), but with just a minimum of common sense it is doable.....And I think the bigger problem is when in the office and you forget to drink something.

So I can't see any real life problem

You'd be surprised. I have at least a case a week of somebody being completely dehydrated (I work in a hotel), people just don;t drink enough.