Hydration in Thailand

h90

I think the head-to-toe coverage for athletes is less about fear of a dark complexion and more for protection against sunstroke. Full tropical sun on bare skin can raise body temperature beyond your ability to cool down by sweating alone.

In SE Asia it is certainly to avoid the skin turning dark. Go to Vietnam where girls in particular will not venture out without being covered head-to-toe. Likewise the farmers in Thailand.

I'm surprised at the labourers I see covered head to toe, and with a scarf over the face. I couldn't work like that in Scotland, let alone here.

"I have toiled Naykid, beneath my boiler suit, under the hot Govan sun"

I never had a problem cycling up Doi Suthep in the midday sun, and although the fluid loss is tremendous, it's a relatively short ride and drinking fixes the problem. In my case, heat exhaustion kicks in predictably after 4-5 hours exposure to the sun. Heat tolerance differs individually, but I can say for sure that it increases with training. Just like endurance it takes time to build up. So just keep on going. Conditioning is the key.

Cheers, CM-Expat

I recall back in Farangistan....I wasn't the strongest or best on the bike, but if it was an extreme hot day, climbing a mountain without wind (or minimal tail-wind) and I was the hero. For some reason I had a bit more heat tolerance. At this time I went twice a week into Sauna for very hot and long.

Maybe that trained it.

I am a runner, not a biker. Got a 50K run tomorrow so it will be out of bed at 2:30 am......

It is not just to beat the heat but also to beat the traffic.

People covered from head to toe is more to prevent sun reaching the pristine skin. Personally, I couldn't care less and run in shorts and vest.

If you are overheating, you may be pushing too hard. You cannot rode/run at the same intensity as you would in 18-degree weather. Take a notch out.

You may be right about me pushing too hard. I ride in the south of Phuket, there are short hills but they can be very steep (10/20%). I'm probably not fit enough to tackle them as they leave me completely drained. But I also want to get better and manage bigger climbs like Big Buddha or Kata View Point.

I also sometimes try to follow some local riders when riding around the lake at 32+km/h for a couple laps. I have to recover for 15 minutes riding at snail pace after that while they continue speeding through without shedding a drop of sweat biggrin.png

I've logged about 700km since I bought my bike. Maybe too early for higher intensity work?

What kind of bike do you have? Do you have the right gears for the steep hills? They will be murder if you don't. If it's a racing bike does it have a 34 tooth chainring on the chainset and a 32 on the back cassette? A triple chainset can make the hills easier. Are you spinning the gears ie pedaling faster on a lower gear rather than pedaling slow grinding out some huge gear? Aim for 90 pedal revolutions per minute and get comfortable with that. If you are putting the effort in on the bike which it sounds like you are make sure you are eating enough, eat lots. What you eat today is power for tomorrow. High carbs, potatoes, rice, pasta and fruits like bananas. Drinks lots too. If you don't eat and drink enough everything becomes too hard.

Racing bike with a 34*30 which is the bracket I use whenever it gets quite steep. Probably not eating enough, I haven't gained a pound since I started cycling, still way to skinny I think.

In the world of bike racing one can never be too skinny.

• Like 1

As said earlier, I don't have a problem with hydration, but extreme temperatures really do me in! Now it's warmer, I normally ride at 5 am for around 2 hours, with no problem. But last week had to go later, and it was 37 deg when finished. It took me 2 or 3 hours to cool down!

The normal early start is also so that I can do the school run at 7.45 ;) BTW if I'm doing an early start, and riding for up to 2 hrs, I find I don't need to eat before, as long as I've eaten well the night before.

I'm currently down in Krabi, and it sure makes a nice change from Khon Kaen!

• Like 1

As said earlier, I don't have a problem with hydration, but extreme temperatures really do me in! Now it's warmer, I normally ride at 5 am for around 2 hours, with no problem. But last week had to go later, and it was 37 deg when finished. It took me 2 or 3 hours to cool down!

The normal early start is also so that I can do the school run at 7.45 wink.png BTW if I'm doing an early start, and riding for up to 2 hrs, I find I don't need to eat before, as long as I've eaten well the night before.

I don't eat before I go out - maybe a piece of fruit and a sugary drink or a glasses of milk and fruit juice, and I find that cycling doesn't give me a big appetite, but I occasionally stop for something to eat mid-route, if it's a long one, or it takes me past a meal time; I prefer to get home first, though.

SC

The normal early start is also so that I can do the school run at 7.45 wink.png BTW if I'm doing an early start, and riding for up to 2 hrs, I find I don't need to eat before, as long as I've eaten well the night before.

I don't eat before I go out - maybe a piece of fruit and a sugary drink or a glasses of milk and fruit juice, and I find that cycling doesn't give me a big appetite, but I occasionally stop for something to eat mid-route, if it's a long one, or it takes me past a meal time; I prefer to get home first, though.

SC

I take something like 2 Banana with me. Good enough for 2-3 hour ride and the skin of it can be thrown beside the street.

When running the accepted formula is that neither drink nor food is really required for runs that last less than an hour. I don't need food for runs up to 2.5 hours; anything longer than that without food and I'll boing around the 30 kilometer mark.

When running the accepted formula is that neither drink nor food is really required for runs that last less than an hour. I don't need food for runs up to 2.5 hours; anything longer than that without food and I'll boing around the 30 kilometer mark.

For me it is the same on the bicycle.....Just of course it depends, if I go in the morning and the last food was yesterday in the evening, like 12 hours ago, I'll get hungry earlier. But if I ate 1 hour ago, I still have something inside myself.

But of course common sense.....when hungry eat, if not hungry don't eat. If eat, in moderation and not fat...Banana are good for me....fried pork leg with mayonnaise would be too heavy in the stomach....common sense....

As we move into the hot season the heat is brutal, even as I begin my five day a week runs by 6:30 each morning. I run two, three of four two mile loops and each loop takes me by my car where I have water waiting. I also usually take a bite from my peanut butter and jelly sandwich, just because it tastes so good. Before leaving the house I have a banana or two, a coffee and some orange juice. And I always make sure I am eating within 15-30 minutes of finishing my run. I usually run 28-30 miles per week and am 64 years old. I have been running for 37 years, and have competed in triathlons for the past ten years.

Edited by SpokaneAl
  • Like 1

For me it is the same on the bicycle.....Just of course it depends, if I go in the morning and the last food was yesterday in the evening, like 12 hours ago, I'll get hungry earlier. But if I ate 1 hour ago, I still have something inside myself.

But of course common sense.....when hungry eat, if not hungry don't eat. If eat, in moderation and not fat...Banana are good for me....fried pork leg with mayonnaise would be too heavy in the stomach....common sense....

You'd be surprised what some people eat during Ultras. Most people can only stomach so many gels before the stomach revolts. For me, a curry or chicken soups works but I have seen people wolf down pretty much anything. One guy was eating Enchiladas!!!

• Like 1

You'd be surprised what some people eat during Ultras. Most people can only stomach so many gels before the stomach revolts. For me, a curry or chicken soups works but I have seen people wolf down pretty much anything. One guy was eating Enchiladas!!!

I when running and have a little bit too much in the stomach, I feel not well, like my stomach doesn't like that something is shaking inside. But no problem on the bike. But if eat too much I feel tired and my performance falls to almost nothing. I guess everyone is different and you can get used to it.....I read about people drinking coke (with the CO2 inside) I couldn't, don't even need to try.

Enchiladas licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-WpuUk8n I think if I smell them, I would have to stop from hunger.....