Monthly rent Phang Nga?

pollnow

Hey there. First of all I hope I post this in the right forum (new to Thai Visa).

I'm a Swedish cyclist, moving to Phang Nga for a month (or maybe more) in beginning of March. Where I live now (Chiang Rai), it's not hard to find apartment for rent monthly. How is the situation in Phang Nga?

I moved to Phang Nga from Rawai, Phuket. I was surprised at how much more expensive Phang Nga was. Perhaps due to the tsunami knocking down a lot of the housing stock now replaced by hotels.

How do you like it up there? I lived some time in Rawai but the criminals, drunktards, general unpleasant people and missing nature are a bit much there so moved up to Thalang. Not bad here, quiet but still near to everything one needs. Phang Nga is something I want to check out more as it has more nature left and is still not too far from Phuket if something is needed.

Let's move this to the Krabi Forum.

Phang Nga is an hour (or 1 minute, depending on where you start) from Phuket. Krabi is at least an hour by road. That's being generous. Leave it.

Rightly or wrongly Phang Nga and Khao Lak are designated to be part of the Krabi Forum by ThaiVisa.

• Like 1

Phang Nga is a large province. It makes a big difference if you want to live in MUEANG Phang Nga or actually in the North or near Khao Lak. The Northern end of Phang Nga is actually 135 km away from Phang Nga Town ! As for Khao Lak, there are plenty of inexpensive places to be had in the low season, as it is pretty much dead from late April to end of October (and that's why it is a pleasant place during that time of the year rolleyes.gif ).

nearby Takua Pa has for sure plenty of apartment-style accomodation too where you should be able to score a modest unit for no more than 3000 Baht a month

• Like 1

I meant Phang Nga town. Sorry for not being more exact. And have found apartment for about 7000B per month in that town. But will look into it more. Will definitely look into Takua Pa, as that seems cheaper. As cycling is my main objective, i have to look into how good as a base that town is for cycling. Phang Nga town seems excellent. Thanks for all replies so far! Heading down in a week. Excited with the change of scenery after 4 months in Chiang Rai!

I meant Phang Nga town. Sorry for not being more exact. And have found apartment for about 7000B per month in that town. But will look into it more. Will definitely look into Takua Pa, as that seems cheaper. As cycling is my main objective, i have to look into how good as a base that town is for cycling. Phang Nga town seems excellent. Thanks for all replies so far! Heading down in a week. Excited with the change of scenery after 4 months in Chiang Rai!

I lived in Phangnga town for a few years many years ago. Then, there was only one 7/11 and pretty much nothing else so a weekly shopping trip to Krabi or Phuket was called for. Both are pretty much equidistant away.

Now, like most Thai towns it has grown a lot, more 7/11s and there is even a Big C mall. Beautiful area though with plenty to see and do but trust me, it rains one helluva lot!

The people, are once they get to know you very nice and friendly but they need to get to know you. I had 2 rotties back then and long walked them daily round the park or along the river. A lot of muslims, who I found to be some of the nicest people around would on seeing me approaching put out water for my dogs, something I have not really experienced in other areas.

Nightlife then was pretty much non-existent apart from a couple of sleazy Thai style karaoke joints. I think there are a few TEFLers there now so things may have changed.

I enjoyed my time there. :0)

I moved to Khuk Khak from Rawai, Phuket to volunteer for an NGO helping establish schools, etc., for the many Burmese in the area. I lived there for one year. The beaches are great! I moved to Chiang Mai Province to teach in a Thai school in the mountains. I recommend you take a look at Wikivoyage Khao Lak to get an overview of the area I lived in. I don't know much about Phang Nga town and environs. I will say that if nightlife is your primary motivation, Phang Nga is probably not the place for you.

Good info there guys. If you don't mind asking Seligne2 and South, where are you guys now that you moved out of Phang Nga and why did you move away?

Also: Any areas to recommend and to avoid?

Still in the south but back over on the east side again. Why did I leave? Moved my office to AuLuk and then moved to NST and beyond.

Recommendations: Dawn trip around Phangnga Bay, 'walk' through Tham Pung Chang and just explore the smaller unexplored parts of the province.

Avoid: Nothing I can think of really ..... oh, the rain! tongue.png

Thanks for all kind replies. Finding a apartment for short term rent in Phang Nga town for only one months looks more difficult than i imagined. Maybe a bit spoiled with all the options where I currently reside. Might have to look into the option of staying in a guesthouse/hotel or find a town/area nearby with more choice of one month rents. The area looks great for cycling! Excited.

• 3 weeks later...

Update. I have now been staying in Phang-Nga town for 10 days and it's excellent for cycling. Just a bit hot between 11 and 4 a clock. No problems finding monthly rent. It varies between 5000 to 7000 per month (not including electricity) small room with AC/Fridge/TV/Toilet. Just rented a motorbike and had a look around and found a few places. Phang-Nga is small but friendly. And there is minimal amount of smoke in the air, which is a relief! It's a little bit more expensive then Chiang Rai, but not anything crazy. I would say i spend 10% more here than in Chiang Rai.

Edited by pollnow
  • Like 2

Update. I have now been staying in Phang-Nga town for 10 days and it's excellent for cycling. Just a bit hot between 11 and 4 a clock. No problems finding monthly rent. It varies between 5000 to 7000 per month (not including electricity) small room with AC/Fridge/TV/Toilet. Just rented a motorbike and had a look around and found a few places. Phang-Nga is small but friendly. And there is minimal amount of smoke in the air, which is a relief! It's a little bit more expensive then Chiang Rai, but not anything crazy. I would say i spend 10% more here than in Chiang Rai.

No problem with a short lease?

I used to spend a lot of time around that area 15 years or so back and it's beautiful so I imagine your cycling will be fantastic!