SCT

Teak

social culture thailand

A forum back in the old days.

We would argue alot and occasionally support certain individuals, but, bloody well find heated differences in our opinions with others concerning Thailand and the lives we leed or have led there.

The debates and animosity ended SCT.

I miss the vitality.

It seems new/old expats now in CM, have more passion debating MacDonald's new menu.

....Ken

• Like 1

Decades later I am still in contact with LG, he of "haa roi baat" fame, and even Nong Od, the only woman poster with the intellectual balls to stand up to all the misogynist menfolk. But I never did contact one Thai nemesis whose name I have now forgot (begins with T) and who later went on to head one of Thailand's major Internet consortiums. But yes, the Usenet days were fun, the wild west days of the Internet, as the global corporatocracy had not yet figured out how to turn the Internet into one large advertising medium.

The end of SCT and all the Usenet groups was inevitable with all the change, but I disagree with Winnie as I think the Pickle King single-handedly caused the premature demise of SCT, although he may have been a motivating factor for George to create SCT.

LG, Geez, he was a performer... and damned good ! His nemisis the T, and I had numerous disagreements, but I always respected his OCD. That fellow from the Bangkok post was damned good.

You don't have to agree to learn something.

I keep trying to like CM every few years. Liking it less each time.

Take care ...Ken

I should add an addendum. Although I do not appreciate Thailand as I once did. I did return to the family homestead, which I had been avoiding to visit for 15 years. A small village of 70 or so households. The teak house I had built and the few rai my ex had previously owned was overgrown. My ex nephews and I had to cut a path in and broke the door down to gain entrance. Everything had been protected by the villagers. My personel effects were where I had left them and a substantial stack of 1 x 14 to 18 inch x 8 ft mai pradoo planks, laying loose and drying in the rafters was also where I had left them 15 years before. This is in a village that certainly covets wide wood.

There are many stories of bad Thai families waiting to gain profit from the outsider.

This has not been my experience over 25 years. .....Ken