Chinese pedestrians

LarryBird

Under the new law, when accidents occur between pedestrians or non-motorised vehicles and motor vehicles, except for the case where the pedestrian or the non-motorised vehicle deliberately causes the incident, the motorist must always bear responsibility. Responsibility for the motorist is reduced if the pedestrian or non-motorised side violated traffic laws

Right-of-way (Simplified Chinese: 先行权, Pinyin: xiānxíngquán, Lit: “first go rights”) is defined as such in all Chinese dictionaries, however, most Chinese drivers’ understanding of this concept is markedly different from those in societies with a strong tradition of the rule of law. Compared to the western understanding of right-of-way, which refers to the legal right to proceed forward in a vehicle without fear of being found at fault for causing a collision, right-of-way in China means, for all intents and purposes, that the person who is in the way (first) has the right. In practice, this translates into motorists and cyclists turning or merging straight into the path of other traffic believing that the onus is on the other person to avoid a collision.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically the PRC rules of the road in any accident with a Pedestrian its the drivers fault , its part of their Law if a lorry hits a car its the lorry fault if a car hit a bike or pedestrian its the cars fault

If you want a laugh read their Right of way law , basically if you get there first you get the right of way , straight up

Traffic sign mostly missing in Thailand......" Yeild" Can you remember where you saw the last triangular sign signifying to yield the right of way ?

Yeilding is not part of the culture in this country.

Enlightening post. I would be willing to bet I can tell if someone is Chinese based on their actions on the road. Would you be willing to bet against me?

Yes, I would bet against you... I would bet the ranch.

People [tourists] in an unfamiliar city are almost by definition disoriented.

Have you ever seen farang tourists at busy intersections stepping off the curb, then clumsily retreating; jaywalking and making fools out of themselves all because they are new here?

The Chinese are just more obvious because there are so many of them. Get used to it because you are going to see a lot more of them in the future.

Enlightening post. I would be willing to bet I can tell if someone is Chinese based on their actions on the road. Would you be willing to bet against me?

Yes, I would bet against you... I would bet the ranch.

People [tourists] in an unfamiliar city are almost by definition disoriented.

Have you ever seen farang tourists at busy intersections stepping off the curb, then clumsily retreating; jaywalking and making fools out of themselves all because they are new here?

The Chinese are just more obvious because there are so many of them. Get used to it because you are going to see a lot more of them in the future.

Cool, what percentage of people walking on the streets here are of Asian descent? What percentage of those are Chinese. We will set up the wager based on those numbers. FWIW, I have NEVER seen a farang, or Japanese tourist wandering aimlessly in the MIDDLE of a major 4 way intersection. But, ya, I might just be a buffoon myself.

I would guess you think that the same number of men and women commit violent crimes, because there are examples of both occurring. The overwhelming rate of men we see in jails is just a figment of my imagination.

Anyway, lay out the odds and the rules of the bet, and I'll see you at Nimman.

Basically the PRC rules of the road in any accident with a Pedestrian its the drivers fault , its part of their Law if a lorry hits a car its the lorry fault if a car hit a bike or pedestrian its the cars fault

If you want a laugh read their Right of way law , basically if you get there first you get the right of way , straight up

Traffic sign mostly missing in Thailand......" Yeild" Can you remember where you saw the last triangular sign signifying to yield the right of way ?

Totally wrong. The Thai sign is "Hai Thang" and is ubiquitous. Please learn your Thai road signs, Gonzo, before going out on the road and causing accidents.

post-32772-0-17668000-1424614227.jpeg

On a sidenote, yes i have seen them stockpiling the chocolate and seemingly medicine at Boots as well,

What baffles me is the YOGURT ADDICTION!!! What the...??? I knew thais like soymilk and all but whats

the deal???? I was eating a chinese thai spot and now they are selling the stuff--every 7-11 i go into is

full of chinese getting sim cards---beer--mama cup as YEP__YOGURT...i see em scarfing it down and

clearing the shelves....even saw one gal spponing down on the back of a mbike today---

I feel bad for the 7-11 staff--esp on Nimman!!! facepalm.gif

The Chinese have a different sense of personal space, you learn that living in Hong Kong or on the mainland. It's a big world.

Edited by crusader79

On a sidenote, yes i have seen them stockpiling the chocolate and seemingly medicine at Boots as well,

What baffles me is the YOGURT ADDICTION!!! What the...??? I knew thais like soymilk and all but whats

the deal???? I was eating a chinese thai spot and now they are selling the stuff--every 7-11 i go into is

full of chinese getting sim cards---beer--mama cup as YEP__YOGURT...i see em scarfing it down and

clearing the shelves....even saw one gal spponing down on the back of a mbike today---

I feel bad for the 7-11 staff--esp on Nimman!!! facepalm.gif

The Chinese tend to buy up any milk products. There has been a general distrust of milk products since the milk powder episode. A friend of a friend actually ships it from UK to China direct to consumers (something like Chinese ebay). It's a side business for her.

In Macau the baby milk powder is often kept in locked cabinets.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I feel bad for the 7-11 staff--esp on Nimman!!! alt=facepalm.gif>

The Chinese tend to buy up any milk products. There has been a general distrust of milk products since the milk powder episode. A friend of a friend actually ships it from UK to China direct to consumers (something like Chinese ebay). It's a side business for her.

Very difficult to buy Milk in China unless you are in a major city, We used to get the powdered milk and I ended up with Kidney stones about 2008 when the Melamine in Milk scandal was exposed. Also had both the corneas in each eye burned due to being sold "Copy" shampoo with extra Alkaline apparently. Its a lovely place to live

Totally wrong. The Thai sign is "Hai Thang" and is ubiquitous. Please learn your Thai road signs, Gonzo, before going out on the road and causing accidents.

attachicon.gifhaithang.jpeg

Right; also, it often comes as a Stop sign. Mostly right of way is clear by the size of the road, but in cases it's similar then you see signs like this one.

post-64232-0-28449100-1424657391_thumb.j

By that sense of warped reasoning, I guess I do not see any signs octagonal saying STOP in English......and for what its worth, I have probably been driving , here and in other parts of the world a lot longer than you...... must be my you-bik-quity.

One of the big challenges for SE Asia is going to be to keep control of its agriculture.

Even though standards here are not great I would say they are a whole lot better than China.

Food supply is going to be key for this area in the next decades. It could be good business or they could totally screw it up through greed and laziness.

One of the big challenges for SE Asia is going to be to keep control of its agriculture.

Even though standards here are not great I would say they are a whole lot better than China.

Food supply is going to be key for this area in the next decades. It could be good business or they could totally screw it up through greed and laziness.

Ok long time residents, lets run a vote........ which of the above two choices do you think will win out?

Seen on North Pattaya road and 2nd road approaching dolphin roundabout something like: "traffic inside circle go first". That would qualify as yield in my books, not that anybody takes any notice of the signs anyway.

They are bad about standing in groups on the corner, but the Arabs are worse about giving you enough room to pass their herd on a 3 meter wide sidewalk.

Where are these 3 meter wide sidewalks in Chiang Mai (that aren't already taken up with food stalls, motor bikes etc)?

If there were to be found a vacant 3 metre wide strip of sidewalk in CM, if would seem like a shopping mall for some street vendors.

You would have to side-step the mat of the person selling cassette tapes and 1990 publications of national geographic.

Right; also, it often comes as a Stop sign. Mostly right of way is clear by the size of the road, but in cases it's similar then you see signs like this one.

attachicon.gif[url="http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&att

Edited by roo860

Ok long time residents, lets run a vote........ which of the above two choices do you think will win out?

Both!!!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I feel bad for the 7-11 staff--esp on Nimman!!! alt=facepalm.gif>

Very difficult to buy Milk in China unless you are in a major city, We used to get the powdered milk and I ended up with Kidney stones about 2008 when the Melamine in Milk scandal was exposed. Also had both the corneas in each eye burned due to being sold "Copy" shampoo with extra Alkaline apparently. Its a lovely place to live

I see--thanks--i just sat on nimman tonite--watching them assault the little medicine man outside

the pharm next to salad concept---a father open handed his kid for climbing on it!!!

I'm not talking about merely annoying behavior. I mean idiotic and dangerous.. Walking across busy intersections without a clue of what is going on. It really is mind boggling.

Have to agree. They are a few sandwiches short of a picnic regarding road sense for sure.

Twice now I happen to have been in TOPS and they buy up all the Lindt 85% dark chocolate.

Surely must give you more sexual stamina as opposed to bear bile and lizard droppings.

Oh sidewalks, dunno I walk in the road anyway to avoid the Thai obstacle course.

On Changklan Rd. around the Shangri La area, both sides of the road there are often 2 or large group of Chinese walking on the road. I've seen many near misses. In this same area at night in some spots even more dangerous, motorists can't see them until very close.

Perhaps all hotels should bite the bullet and give out some easy to understand brochures, at least about dangerous practices.

I visited many Chinese cities for years doing project work. I regularly noticed the locals walking on the road rather than the footpath (where one existed).

Twice now I happen to have been in TOPS and they buy up all the Lindt 85% dark chocolate.

Surely must give you more sexual stamina as opposed to bear bile and lizard droppings.

Oh sidewalks, dunno I walk in the road anyway to avoid the Thai obstacle course.

On Changklan Rd. around the Shangri La area, both sides of the road there are often 2 or large group of Chinese walking on the road. I've seen many near misses. In this same area at night in some spots even more dangerous, motorists can't see them until very close.

Perhaps all hotels should bite the bullet and give out some easy to understand brochures, at least about dangerous practices.

I visited many Chinese cities for years doing project work. I regularly noticed the locals walking on the road rather than the footpath (where one existed).

As mentioned before, it is their Traffic laws that make poeple cross the road without looking , I was their for a few years and when I started doing it too it was time to leave

I think im going to open a little street stall that sells Yogurt---Chocolate---OTC Meds and Sim cards, oops and IBerry Shirts...

You will soon see me speeding down HK road in my Mercedes....Out of my way you Loso Cretins!!!!

maybe a side stall with a hot water kettle for mama cups..and a cooler for cold beers for the men...and......welcomeani.gif

^ That's the spirit! And it's actually very similar to what small local shops do, which over the years have shown an incredible ability to adapt to market conditions. Shops that went from 'long distance call' to fax services, book exchange, laundry, massage, internet cafe, fish spa, coffee shop & smoothies, and on and on.