Are US forces still based in Udon Thani?

Kenny202

maybe US forces aren't based here, but do not doubt for one minute that Uncle Sam still has his hands all over this place....Thailand in many ways is an extension of America....just look at the roads...who do you think funded those??

If America funded Thai roads, it was a bad investment. We have dirt farm roads in America, that have fewer potholes.

Are US forces still based in Udon Thani?

Simple answer is...No. However there may be some US military presence at many

Thai military bases these days...only a small presence though.

Fact...back in the hey days of the US military presence, all the bases in Thailand

were under Thai military control. The US only had control of it's personnel and operations

on the bases such as aircraft movements etc. The bases were not US bases in a legal

sense...they were Thai bases which allowed the US Mil to use & operate from said bases.

With the possible exception of the "buffy cage".

When Saigon fell on 30 April 1975, relations between the US & Thailand started to go bad.

In May of 1975 the RTG (Royal Thai Government) asked the USG to close all of it operations

in Thailand & remove their personell by June 1976.

By 20 July 1976 there were only approximately 250 US military personnel left in country.

• Like 1

I am again amazed at the ignorance of typists on this venue. YES, the USA is all over Thailand. Thailand is a client state of USA (look up the phrase).

Low profile is the name and fewer uniforms worn off bases, but USA war planes "temporarily" park in Thailand, spy radio and transmission stations are here, and the clandestine fellows are like fleas on dog here especially since new govt took over. USA war ships are welcome here as well as USA high tech of all military kinds. There is at least one very active airport for USA here.

News claims some "rendition" captured Arabs were "questioned" by USA or for USA here and perhaps jailed here, even now. The only change since VN war is the volume of traffic is lower, and lower key, and dupes, I do not mean cars on the road.

One way to look at the current situation is that Thaksin, USA and IMF's man in Thailand is out and MAYBE the new govt knows to re-position itself and play the big powers off against each other..... what have you done for me lately? Sucking in Red Chinese, Japanese, and even French money can help Thailand and if USA remains in lots of control, USA can stand by and see their Thai friends fleece some other money sources. USA can never give up Thailand as its rock solid position, geographically as well as otherwise, can not be lost.

Hey, "they" did not recently make the USA Embassy in BKK into more of a fortress for nothing and with no anticipation of bullet proof glass, even for Citizens Services, would ever be needed. Please fellow thaivisa typists, just write about what you know, or stop trying to cover up what you do know.

I know there are no U.S. military bases currently in Thailand. However, between 1961 to 1975 the U.S. Military did have a presence here as guests to the Royal Thai Military. I served here during part of that time and my job took me to many of the Royal Thai Air Force bases that the U.S. Air Force were stationed at. The ones I visited during that time were Takhil, and at that time they had about 70 F-105s, about 12 KC-135s, 6 F-111s, about 15 EB-66s; Korat Royal Thai AFB which had F105s, U-Tapao which had B-52s and KC-135s, Don Muang RTAFB, which was mostly a resupply base for the U.S. with some C-130s and C-47s, and Nakhon Phanom RTAFB, was a search and rescue base for the most part. Two other bases that I never visited during my stay were Ubon RTAFB which I was told at the time had F-4 Phantoms and Udorn which I was told also had F-4 Phantoms at the time. I also visited a U.S. Army special forces detachment that was at the Royal Thai Army base in Lopburi that gave advanced training to Thai troops for deployment to Vietnam. The Thai Amry troops I met in Lopburi were from the Thai Army's special forces group called the Queen's Cobras. I believe about 50,000 Thai Army troops served along side the U.S. troops in Vietnam. There were also several U.S. Army special forces units assigned to Thai units serving along the border with Laos to counter communist insurgency that was a major problem during that time. Also there were numorus small units of U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force manning listening stations near border areas including a good sized post in Chiang Mai. There was also a secret base in Laos that was run by Air America/CIA, it is a tourist site today. Note my observations of this were made during the 1967 1968 times. This is what was in place at that time.

There still are listening posts in Chiang Mai at Doi Suthep masked as a Seismographic centre and Mae Hong Son.....a place on a hill with so many antennas it can not be missed ....

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

maybe US forces aren't based here, but do not doubt for one minute that Uncle Sam still has his hands all over this place....Thailand in many ways is an extension of America....just look at the roads...who do you think funded those??

If America funded Thai roads, it was a bad investment. We have dirt farm roads in America, that have fewer potholes.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't know the roads are pretty good...Everytime I get done with a rant or something about Thailand and someone says "don't you have anything positive to say about this place" I say "yea, at least there are good roads"

The USA has about 4,000 people stationed in Thailand including a lot of military associated with JUSTMAG and on going operations and programs. The air base at Utapao is used frequently by the USA. I am told that the number of DEA agents in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai are over 100. The short wave station built in Bandung was completed about 20 years ago and continues to operate.

Current government holding hands with China will cause the USA to put out more money to compete. I have been living here 31 years and have seen 4 coups. Everything changes but nothing ever changes. Brown suit boys come and go at will.

• Like 2

Not based here but about four years ago I saw a load of US Army within the Central Plaza shopping Plaza wearing their khaki's and wait for it...............luminous reflective bibs.ermm.gif.pagespeed.ce.7f2Kr9k8HCxvlbix7X Haven't seen the US Air Force flying above the city for a couple of years now.

Might possibly be some American military chaps skulking about in Udon-Thai following the example set by this Japanese fellow.

Fair bit of back pay to come if that is the case.cheesy.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroo_Onoda

Edited by siampolee

While crossing the crossing the Cambodian-Thai border at Aranjaprathet +/- 8 years ago a Chinook helicopter overflew the border in Thai direction....does Thai or Cambodian air-force's have Chinook's...???

Yes the RTA has Chinook helicopters.

I always wondered who I could blame for the roads. And sometimes the worst ones are the newest ones. Thanks, America.

I am again amazed at the ignorance of typists on this venue. YES, the USA is all over Thailand. Thailand is a client state of USA (look up the phrase).

Low profile is the name and fewer uniforms worn off bases, but USA war planes "temporarily" park in Thailand, spy radio and transmission stations are here, and the clandestine fellows are like fleas on dog here especially since new govt took over. USA war ships are welcome here as well as USA high tech of all military kinds. There is at least one very active airport for USA here.

News claims some "rendition" captured Arabs were "questioned" by USA or for USA here and perhaps jailed here, even now. The only change since VN war is the volume of traffic is lower, and lower key, and dupes, I do not mean cars on the road.

One way to look at the current situation is that Thaksin, USA and IMF's man in Thailand is out and MAYBE the new govt knows to re-position itself and play the big powers off against each other..... what have you done for me lately? Sucking in Red Chinese, Japanese, and even French money can help Thailand and if USA remains in lots of control, USA can stand by and see their Thai friends fleece some other money sources. USA can never give up Thailand as its rock solid position, geographically as well as otherwise, can not be lost.

Hey, "they" did not recently make the USA Embassy in BKK into more of a fortress for nothing and with no anticipation of bullet proof glass, even for Citizens Services, would ever be needed. Please fellow thaivisa typists, just write about what you know, or stop trying to cover up what you do know.

Hahahah thats funny crap you wrote. The US has only a handful of personnel and no installations anywhere in Thailand. Edited by 2fishin2
  • Like 1

Japan maybe?

Trust our American friends to think that everything good in the world must come from the US. In fact, Japan is the largest foreign donor in Thailand (esp. infrastructure) by quite a margin and for some time. It has been the top donor since 1972 and since 1960 has provided over US$16 billion in development aid. This compares to $1.4 billion from Germany and $1.3 billion from the US. If anyone 'owns' this country, it is Japan... and the Chinese are coming over the hill. Anyway, instead of patting yourselves on the back, you have Japan to thank for those nice country roads...

See https://books.google.com.sg/books?id=Mo2QBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA55&lpg=PA55&dq=japan+largest+donor+to+%22thailand%22&source=bl&ots=NzoJyLLwMf&sig=6x8XN8BVspYIy4xvaqxaElQhc4s&hl=en&sa=X&ei=mcvqVMr7F4OZuQS074GQCQ&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=japan%20largest%20donor%20to%20%22thailand%22&f=false.

Maybe. I overtook a truck load of American soldiers two years ago somewhere on the main road (can't remember exactly now) between Korat and Udon.

Are you familiar with joint exercise Cobra Gold which is happening now? When it is over everyone goes back to where they came from.

• Like 1

According to press reports, the US does have an agreement to refuel its military aircraft here en route to Diego Garcia or elsewhere. Takhli RTAF base in Nakhon Sawan was the designated stopover point but I've heard this has now been expanded to include U-tapao and possibly Udon and other former bases.

Japan maybe?

Trust our American friends to think that everything good in the world must come from the US. In fact, Japan is the largest foreign donor in Thailand (esp. infrastructure) by quite a margin and for some time. It has been the top donor since 1972 and since 1960 has provided over US$16 billion in development aid. This compares to $1.4 billion from Germany and $1.3 billion from the US. If anyone 'owns' this country, it is Japan... and the Chinese are coming over the hill. Anyway, instead of patting yourselves on the back, you have Japan to thank for those nice country roads...

See https://books.google.com.sg/books?id=Mo2QBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA55&lpg=PA55&dq=japan+largest+donor+to+%22thailand%22&source=bl&ots=NzoJyLLwMf&sig=6x8XN8BVspYIy4xvaqxaElQhc4s&hl=en&sa=X&ei=mcvqVMr7F4OZuQS074GQCQ&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=japan%20largest%20donor%20to%20%22thailand%22&f=false.

Actually the old point to point roads such as highway 1 and 2 had major funding from US but that was more than half a decade ago. And the roads today are almost totally different than originally designed.

US Navy are the only war ships that stop in Thailand

China was invited by the US to participate in the recent drills

"US Navy are the only war ships that stop in Thailand"

Where do you people (Americans) get this stuff from? Here's a piece about a warship from Myanmar docking in Thailand last year: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Myanmar-warship-visits-Thailand-30247835.html And Singapore sells naval vessels to Thailand, does frequent coordinated military exercises with them, and its own vessels make frequent port visits there. The difference is that Singapore tends to be more quiet about these things because they like to keep their immediate neighbours guessing about their capabilities. Remember that Singapore has mandatory national service for all male citizens but not the land, air, or sea territory to provide training. Hence, training takes place to a large extent overseas, much of it on the down-low for political and strategic reasons.

• Like 1