Are US forces still based in Udon Thani?

Kenny202

US Navy are the only war ships that stop in Thailand

China was invited by the US to participate in the recent drills

"US Navy are the only war ships that stop in Thailand"

Where do you people (Americans) get this stuff from? Here's a piece about a warship from Myanmar docking in Thailand last year: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Myanmar-warship-visits-Thailand-30247835.html And Singapore sells naval vessels to Thailand, does frequent coordinated military exercises with them, and its own vessels make frequent port visits there. The difference is that Singapore tends to be more quiet about these things because they like to keep their immediate neighbours guessing about their capabilities. Remember that Singapore has mandatory national service for all male citizens but not the land, air, or sea territory to provide training. Hence, training takes place to a large extent overseas, much of it on the down-low for political and strategic reasons.

Ive trained with quite a few Sing pilots and aircraft maintenance personnel in Singapore and Thailand. Training is MAINLY in Sing for all their branches of the service. But like all countries, they do conduct regular exercises internationally. Nothing unusual and nothing "on the down-low" sorry no conspiracies there or in Thailand regarding US military personnel.

For the record, the main layover base is Utapao as that is where the Thai refueling, cargo, and logistics support for US heavy aircraft are based. Again, no conspiracies there either.

Nothing in Takhli either. US conducts 2 military exercises a year. One in Feb COPE TIGER (Marine exercise) and one in Mar (Air Force exercise). Been doing it for many years now.

There can be several other small training exercise conducted throughout the year depending on needs but this is usually very small with less than 100 people conducting very specific training missions.

There is nothing covert going on here. No secret spy bases or the like. There are much better sources of conspiracies around the world other than this.

• Like 2

Where do you people (Americans) get this stuff from? Here's a piece about a warship from Myanmar docking in Thailand last year: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Myanmar-warship-visits-Thailand-30247835.html And Singapore sells naval vessels to Thailand, does frequent coordinated military exercises with them, and its own vessels make frequent port visits there. The difference is that Singapore tends to be more quiet about these things because they like to keep their immediate neighbours guessing about their capabilities. Remember that Singapore has mandatory national service for all male citizens but not the land, air, or sea territory to provide training. Hence, training takes place to a large extent overseas, much of it on the down-low for political and strategic reasons.

Ive trained with quite a few Sing pilots and aircraft maintenance personnel in Singapore and Thailand. Training is MAINLY in Sing for all their branches of the service. But like all countries, they do conduct regular exercises internationally. Nothing unusual and nothing "on the down-low" sorry no conspiracies there or in Thailand regarding US military personnel.

For the record, the main layover base is Utapao as that is where the Thai refueling, cargo, and logistics support for US heavy aircraft are based. Again, no conspiracies there either.

Nothing in Takhli either. US conducts 2 military exercises a year. One in Feb COPE TIGER (Marine exercise) and one in Mar (Air Force exercise). Been doing it for many years now.

There can be several other small training exercise conducted throughout the year depending on needs but this is usually very small with less than 100 people conducting very specific training missions.

There is nothing covert going on here. No secret spy bases or the like. There are much better sources of conspiracies around the world other than this.

Ah, denial of a conspiracy, the first real evidence to support it--aren't all Americans with the CIA?

• Like 2

Lived in Singapore for more than15 years with many friends in the services, and I can tell you that there are things that don't get talked about. Nothing about conspiracies here. As I said, it's kept quiet for strategic and political reasons (in the sense that it's not talked about in the media, which the government 'oversees'). For example, you might understand that a government such as Singapore's would not want to advertise military cooperation with Israel to its larger Muslim neighbours or military cooperation with Taiwan to China (these being fictitious examples, of course). As you are no doubt aware, Singapore is geographically far more vulnerable than the US so must follow a different strategic path.

Here's an Israeli piece on one of those fictional, non-conspiratorial relationships I mentioned: http://www.haaretz.com/a-deep-dark-secret-love-affair-1.128671

Edited by Docno

Lived in Singapore for more than15 years with many friends in the services, and I can tell you that there are things that don't get talked about. Nothing about conspiracies here. As I said, it's kept quiet for strategic and political reasons (in the sense that it's not talked about in the media, which the government 'oversees'). For example, you might understand that a government such as Singapore's would not want to advertise military cooperation with Israel to its larger Muslim neighbours or military cooperation with Taiwan to China (these being fictitious examples, of course). As you are no doubt aware, Singapore is geographically far more vulnerable than the US so must follow a different strategic path.

Here's an Israeli piece on one of those fictional, non-conspiratorial relationships I mentioned: http://www.haaretz.com/a-deep-dark-secret-love-affair-1.128671

Guy, I just told you that I have trained with the RSAF (royal singapore air force) IN SINGAPORE and Thailand. Been here done that got the tshirt. I was involved in pilot training. There arent any big secrets going on anywhere. The RSAF does train pilots on their F-15s at Mountain Home AFB in Idaho on initial qualifications. Training of all Sing forces is MAINLY conducted in Singapore and again with exercises in other countries no different than any of the other forces in he asian region. There are NO conspiracies except for people like you who try and make them up. In your post you said "there are things that dont get talked about", thats a load of crap because if true, they damn sure wouldnt talk about any of them to a person who doesnt have a need to know....

• Like 1

Guy, I just told you that I have trained with the RSAF (royal singapore air force) IN SINGAPORE and Thailand. Been here done that got the tshirt. I was involved in pilot training. There arent any big secrets going on anywhere. The RSAF does train pilots on their F-15s at Mountain Home AFB in Idaho on initial qualifications. Training of all Sing forces is MAINLY conducted in Singapore and again with exercises in other countries no different than any of the other forces in he asian region. There are NO conspiracies except for people like you who try and make them up. In your post you said "there are things that dont get talked about", thats a load of crap because if true, they damn sure wouldnt talk about any of them to a person who doesnt have a need to know....

Guy, you've trained with them in ONE place. I'm not talking about Singapore's cooperation with Thailand. Read again

BTW - you seem to downplay the training of Singaporean servicemen overseas. Well, by 1989 140,000 troops had been sent to Taiwan alone for training (3-6 month periods): https://books.google.com.sg/books?id=moqbJAj2b1kC&pg=PA69&lpg=PA69&dq=singapore+military+exercises+in+taiwan&source=bl&ots=Okh1RWgc4j&sig=SEOpaL32sHZZYT0Ct9aJ1qIFn-I&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WeTqVK6KDI6OuASFkIHoAQ&ved=0CGQQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=singapore%20military%20exercises%20in%20taiwan&f=false

Edited by Docno

Where have you trained with them at? What affiliation with the military do you have, your "friends" ha? You cant even comprehend what I wrote, I said conducted pilot training with them in both Singapore and Thailand. All of your arguments are arm chaired quarterbacked from OLD google searches where mine, is CURRENT actual face to face interaction and training with REAL RSAF personnel. Again, no conspiracies except for ones you are trying to look up on the internet. Please keep dredging up your poop.... And what does this have to do with US forces in Udon Thani anyways?

2fishin2 said, "Guy, I just told you that I have trained with the RSAF (royal singapore air force) IN SINGAPORE and Thailand. Been here done that got the tshirt . . . "

Your t-shirt must have been misprinted; RSAF in regard to Singapore is the Republic of Singapore Air Force.

• Like 2

2fishin2 said, "Guy, I just told you that I have trained with the RSAF (royal singapore air force) IN SINGAPORE and Thailand. Been here done that got the tshirt . . . "

Your t-shirt must have been misprinted; RSAF in regard to Singapore is the Republic of Singapore Air Force.

Huh? Thats what I said also....

There are no active US Military bases left in Thailand but there are many US Military expats living here in Thailand.

I am the current Commander for the Veterans of Foreign Wars here in Bangkok and we have six (6) post here in Thailand. Chiang Mai, Udon Thani, Korat, Bangkok, Pattaya and we just installed a new post last weekend in Bang Chang near Rayong.

Where did you install the new "post"?

In Thsetsaban 25, in one of the girlie bars?

There are no active US Military bases left in Thailand but there are many US Military expats living here in Thailand.

I am the current Commander for the Veterans of Foreign Wars here in Bangkok and we have six (6) post here in Thailand. Chiang Mai, Udon Thani, Korat, Bangkok, Pattaya and we just installed a new post last weekend in Bang Chang near Rayong.

good on you for keeping old servicemen in touch with kindred spirts

Do you have any organization to negotiate wages and conditions for your veterans?

I am from Heidelberg, former site of the 7th US Army in Europe. I worked with journalists engaged in the American Servicemen Union (ASU) in the 70ies, and set up a theoretical model for the explanation of the military in developing countries (comparative political science at University of Heidelberg)

Would JUSTMAG with 100 oficers not qualify as a USA military base. Time to wake up!

JUSMAGTHAI is the U.S. Security Assistance Organization (SAO) in Thailand as stated on there web site - it is just located on an area of a Thai military base, due to size, rather than the more normal Embassy location. They explain there purpose as:

"JUSMAGTHAI has primary responsibility, or otherwise directly supports, a variety of missions. These include a robust Joint Combined bilateral Exercise Program (averaging over 40 exercises a year), one of the largest International Military Education and Training (IMET) programs in the world, Humanitarian Demining, and Counterdrug missions".

Would JUSTMAG with 100 oficers not qualify as a USA military base. Time to wake up!

JUSMAGTHAI is the U.S. Security Assistance Organization (SAO) in Thailand as stated on there web site - it is just located on an area of a Thai military base, due to size, rather than the more normal Embassy location. They explain there purpose as:

"JUSMAGTHAI has primary responsibility, or otherwise directly supports, a variety of missions. These include a robust Joint Combined bilateral Exercise Program (averaging over 40 exercises a year), one of the largest International Military Education and Training (IMET) programs in the world, Humanitarian Demining, and Counterdrug missions".

Correct. It is not a US facility. (RTARF actually - the website uses outdated terminology)

Ah, denial of a conspiracy, the first real evidence to support it--aren't all Americans with the CIA?

Nah...not all...some are with NSA.

Huh? Thats what I said also....

No, you said " . . . (royal singapore air force) . . . "

For 2 fishin2...from an old soldier....

OK...2fishin2...if you have trained with the RSAF (pilot training) then you should know
to never define the Singapore Air Force as the "(royal singapore air force)" first &
foremost. That "Royal" designator doesn't happen in Singapore. It does happen in
Malaysia, Thailand & Cambodia though...amongst other nations in the world where a
King or Queen reigns as head of state whether or not there is a Constitutional Monarchy
present.

The correct definition of RSAF takes two incarnations...Republic of Singapore Air Force
or Royal Saudi Air Force.

I trained the "security" forces of both nations once in my life...I tossed away the t-shirts
after a few washes.

There are things one forgets over time and then there are things one never forgets,

especially if one worked with "foreign" militaries. One of the main items one never

forgets is ND's...Nation Designators.

Nah...not all...some are with NSA.

And the majority of US citizens voted for a lawyer from the slums of Chicago, and they made him the President of the United States.

And there were soldiers like Edward Snowden who served their country and stopped when they saw some was going wrong.

Now the few US troops in UdonThani are temporary servants of the Thai government, not the commanders anymore.

From my memory, I don't remember any situation where Thais were not the better managers in crisis situations. Probably due to their National talent for quick decisions and co-operation.

For 2 fishin2...from an old soldier....

OK...2fishin2...if you have trained with the RSAF (pilot training) then you should know

to never define the Singapore Air Force as the "(royal singapore air force)" first &

foremost. That "Royal" designator doesn't happen in Singapore. It does happen in

Malaysia, Thailand & Cambodia though...amongst other nations in the world where a

King or Queen reigns as head of state whether or not there is a Constitutional Monarchy

present.

The correct definition of RSAF takes two incarnations...Republic of Singapore Air Force

or Royal Saudi Air Force.

I trained the "security" forces of both nations once in my life...I tossed away the t-shirts

after a few washes.

There are things one forgets over time and then there are things one never forgets,

especially if one worked with "foreign" militaries. One of the main items one never

forgets is ND's...Nation Designators.

The RSAF, refers to themselves as RSAF. Just as all the other local military's refer to them as same.

Sorry about the royal and republic semantics. I was still thinking about the RTAF.

Ok back on topic....we have strayed from original post

• Like 2

It seems ignored now that the Us attempted a legitimisation of presence under the guise of "climate research" when they had Yinluck put a proposal to grant " US territorial status" somewhere in Thailand. That proposal was quickly defeated and public opinion was in the majority of support of that defeat. But in reality I am aware that most countries have an official US base of some description. Quite a few have them as an infliction rather than a welcome. Dominance makes it mandatory.

Where did you install the new "post"?

In Thsetsaban 25, in one of the girlie bars?

Bernie. My guess is your a tourist as your name suggests "On Tour". The VFW does many great things here in Thailand helping people and honoring the veterans of many countries.

• Like 1