noodle soup not so healthy

crickets

i really laugh hard with all the MSG is not dangerous

it is an excitotoxin ... if you got alzheimer in 20-30 years, you won't remember how you got it anyway :)

excitotoxin = it overstimulated neurons so hard, they die

but good for you all, that like to be ignorant ... live in the now, like most thai

I'd be more concerned with what's in Thai beer than msg any day.

Yep you could be right there. A Canadian mate in Hua-Hin a few years ago said in Toronto there is a huge warehouse that sells beer from all over the globe. He asked why they didn't sell Chang. The reply was they didn't know what was in it. I thought it was just filtered canal water with alc. colouring and flavouring. So there you are.

I know people who refuse to eat anything with MSG, but have no problem with Knorr's seasoning. For those not familiar with Knorr's, there are 8 or 10 varieties of Knorr's....everything for soup, yahm, pad thai, jok, you name it. I'm looking at my package of pork Knorr's.....my wife uses it in everything.....I use it on microwaved popcorn. The ingredients (in Thai):

salt 41%

MSG 26%

sugar 17%

garlic powder 1.1%

pepper 0.8%

Disodium 5'-ribonucleotides 0.6%

pork powder 0.4%

Just because it doesn't look like MSG doesn't mean it's not MSG.

If you have to examine every ingredient in your Thai foods...you will likely not eat anything...

Best you go to Lotus or some other large food store and buy farang foods...which are full of sugars, salts, and preservatives...

If you are in Thailand for the healthy food you certainly made a wrong turn ... MSG, deep fry, salt, buckets of sugar, veggies as a decoration, white rice, noodles and let's not forget the fermented raw fish and parasite carrying mini crabs. It's worse than the standard American diet albeit consumed in considerably smaller quantities. The one bright light is that it's cheap to buy the equipment for and maintain a hydrophobic garden.

If you are in Thailand for the healthy food you certainly made a wrong turn ... MSG, deep fry, salt, buckets of sugar, veggies as a decoration, white rice, noodles and let's not forget the fermented raw fish and parasite carrying mini crabs. It's worse than the standard American diet albeit consumed in considerably smaller quantities. The one bright light is that it's cheap to buy the equipment for and maintain a hydrophobic garden.

Do tell us more on the art of growing things without water.....i can go live in a desert then.

MSG myth debunked.

http://www.thekitchn.com/food-myth-debunked-msg-isnt-bad-for-you-food-news-207644

If you don't believe that one, just search in Google, loads more agree that it's just on old myth that refuses to go away.

If you're after something that will support your point of view - any point of view - you will find it on the net. That doesn't necessarily make it true.

I have an allergic reaction to large amounts of MSG in the food and It's not the result of an overactive imagination. I wanted to make sure it was the MSG that caused it so I did a blind test where I had my wife prepare two portions of noodles (one with, one without MSG) for several days and I got it right every time (not hard when you feel your neck and upper back tingling like crazy). The only variable was the MSG, and I added enough chilli to eliminate the risk of ..well, tasting anything.

(For Pattaya residents: If you want to know if you react to MSG or not try the noodle soup at Maesri Ruen, just across from the entrance to the mall just before Thepprasit meets Sukhumvit. Worst I have yet encountered in Thailand).

Anyway, this topic has been done to death almost as much as sinsod, frugal living and red/yellow shirt politics.

If it tastes good eat it, if it doesn't don't

The stress you cause yourself worrying about food will give you heart disease sooner then eating anything that is "bad" for you

Generally the lack of exercise is a far greater factor in poor health then diet.

Most dishes have MSG.

Ask around though, and you'll probably find a noodle soup vendor who can serve it to you without.

I doubt it - most shops and stalls simply pour it into the large cauldron in which they cook each serving of Noodles - along with lots of sugar, which I hate more than MSG!

Patrick

Absolutely. My Mrs brought me back some noodle soup as a snack recently and I told her to throw it away as it was loaded with sugar.

Used to be the 'condiments' were separate and one could mix it up to their taste.

If it tastes good eat it, if it doesn't don't

The stress you cause yourself worrying about food will give you heart disease sooner then eating anything that is "bad" for you

Generally the lack of exercise is a far greater factor in poor health then diet.

EXACTLY! This sort of thread always amuses me to no end. You can pick almost any food or drink and there'll be some study out there that says it's not healthy. Eggs? Forget about it. Ditto red meat. And milk. And fried potatoes. And bacon. And bread. And white rice. And packaged foods. Vegetables? Oh but there might be pesticide or some other inorganic fertilizer. Sweets? Absolutely evil! Even orange juice, if it's not freshly squeezed. I can go on and on.

To simplify, I just make sure I consume the four food groups in moderation and exercise. That's it.

I'd be more concerned with what's in Thai beer than msg any day.

Yep you could be right there. A Canadian mate in Hua-Hin a few years ago said in Toronto there is a huge warehouse that sells beer from all over the globe. He asked why they didn't sell Chang. The reply was they didn't know what was in it. I thought it was just filtered canal water with alc. colouring and flavouring. So there you are.

Chang is brewed like every other beer in the world. Barley, hops, and yeast.

It is made with deep well water.

I don't think it's a great beer, but it has won gold medals for best south-east Asian lager in 2010 and before.

There's probably simply no market in Toronto for a mediocre beer from Thailand, nothing to do with how it's made.

Every chang bottle seems to taste different and the next day after drinking it i have a massive head ache and feel like i have run a marathon. San miguel gives me no effects.

beer taste is personal and subjective.

So are the perceived headaches; perhaps the 6% vol has a bit to do with it.

Anytime someone is comparing beers in Thailand, generic middle of the road lager is being discussed.

I've never experienced one bottle of Chang different from batch to batch. In a huge scale brewery that is virtually impossible, in a micro-brew in the States or Europe far more likely.

MSG naturally occurs in tomatoes, Parmesan, potatoes, mushroom and other vegetables and fruits, so you may want to stop eating these. MSG powder is the same chemical composition that you find naturally in fruit and vegetable, in fact MSG powder is extracted from vegetable or seaweed.

MSG naturally occurs in tomatoes, Parmesan, potatoes, mushroom and other vegetables and fruits, so you may want to stop eating these. MSG powder is the same chemical composition that you find naturally in fruit and vegetable, in fact MSG powder is extracted from vegetable or seaweed.

It has been shown to cause heart palpitations etc in some people. Naturally occurring and high concentration with out all the other parts are different birds. Some things we eat contain things that would be poisonous in high concentrations by themselves. And I am NOT saying that MSG is poisonous. Just making a point.

MSG myth debunked.

http://www.thekitchn.com/food-myth-debunked-msg-isnt-bad-for-you-food-news-207644

If you don't believe that one, just search in Google, loads more agree that it's just on old myth that refuses to go away.

There are varying qualities of MSG, of course street vendors are most likely going for the cheapest.

But as far as whether it is 'good' for you or not....well, just pay attention during your next MSG-overdose and judge for yourself. biggrin.png

• 1 month later...

The stuff in the meat and fish "balls" is lots of chemicals and sugar. Yummy!

If someone opened a street noodle soup stall and offered a completely naturally done soup with manually cooked broth from bones and veg, without added chemicals or too much salt and sugar and charged double the standard price, would they have many customers? coffee1.gif

It's clear today's standard Thai noodle soup is suspect. There are so many easy shortcuts and naturally they are all taken. I'm curious to know what similar dishes were like 100 years ago before the food technology industry was available to create the mess we've got today.

Try the noodle soup in Japan some day if you want to know what real noodle soup is like. However it is a bit more expensive at 150-250 baht per bowl.

It has been shown to cause heart palpitations etc in some people. Naturally occurring and high concentration with out all the other parts are different birds. Some things we eat contain things that would be poisonous in high concentrations by themselves. And I am NOT saying that MSG is poisonous. Just making a point.

Actually it hasn't been shown. Science cannot directly link msg to symptoms people report.

All the evidence is anecdotal

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...