noodle soup not so healthy

crickets

There's nothing wrong with MSG, it's in pretty much every food.

I guess your eating days are over rolleyes.gif

Some people have some kind of allergic reaction to it, not me though.

While there is nothing wrong with MSG in small amounts I am not sure if the same counts for huge amounts.

Beside that it helps to mask poor quality food.

Most dishes have MSG.

Ask around though, and you'll probably find a noodle soup vendor who can serve it to you without.

I doubt it - most shops and stalls simply pour it into the large cauldron in which they cook each serving of Noodles - along with lots of sugar, which I hate more than MSG!

Patrick

Most dishes have MSG.

Ask around though, and you'll probably find a noodle soup vendor who can serve it to you without.

I doubt it - most shops and stalls simply pour it into the large cauldron in which they cook each serving of Noodles - along with lots of sugar, which I hate more than MSG!

Patrick

I have found places in CM, BKK, and Rhek Thum, that served soup/food without MSG.

Most because many people are asking for MSG free food nowadays, but in Rhek Thum because I went almost daily, and they kindly set it aside for me.

Msg actually isn't really bad and most people who think they get headaches from it have an active imagination.

That said, it's pretty clear to me however they make the broth, it isn't good stuff.

Clearly these noodle stalls don't create a natural meat/vegetable stock from scratch like for a good western soup.

So it's a bunch of processed chemical crap, isn't it?

I don't know exactly what's in it ... does someone else?

No doubt way too much salt, that's for sure.

So much of cheap Thai street food is the opposite of health food.

I was eating noodle soup and i saw the cook pour a packet of powder in it and i asked him what it was.

He showed me and it was a big bag of msg.

Will not eat noodle soup anymore.

Will not eat fried rice anymore.

Will not eat corn flakes anymore.

Will not eat toast anymore.

Will not eat ping gai anymore.

Will not eat BBQ fish anymore.

Will not eat Korean BBQ anymore.

Will not eat snake anymore.

And the list goes on.

The stuff in the meat and fish "balls" is lots of chemicals and sugar. Yummy!

If someone opened a street noodle soup stall and offered a completely naturally done soup with manually cooked broth from bones and veg, without added chemicals or too much salt and sugar and charged double the standard price, would they have many customers? coffee1.gif

It's clear today's standard Thai noodle soup is suspect. There are so many easy shortcuts and naturally they are all taken. I'm curious to know what similar dishes were like 100 years ago before the food technology industry was available to create the mess we've got today.

Edited by Jingthing

If someone opened a street noodle soup stall and offered a completely naturally done soup with manually cooked broth from bones and veg, without added chemicals or too much salt and sugar and charged double the standard price, would they have many customers? coffee1.gif

It's clear today's standard Thai noodle soup is suspect. There are so many easy shortcuts and naturally they are all taken. I'm curious to know what similar dishes were like 100 years ago before the food technology industry was available to create the mess we've got today.

I had friends in the USAF stationed at U-tapao and they used to tell me that the initiation ritual for new guys was to take them on their first night out for Monkey Ball [look chin] Soup. Many really believed they were eating monkey balls.

Supposedly there are a few places that still make them from quality ingredients. Notably the noodle cart, Look Chin Nahm Sai Yaowarat, on Pattanakarn 15.

Most vendors probably get them from food factories and there is no telling what is in them.

There was a short segment on Thai television about 6 months ago warning about white noodles. They recommended eating the yellow noodles instead. Some of the yellow noodles I've seen look like fresh noodles. As opposed to the brittle and hard white noodles. I'm guessing they are fresh egg noodles????

As far as MSG goes, I don't put salt or sugar into my soup. Don't want MSG either. And I don't use fish sauce.

I would be a bit circumspect with MSG. There is a lot of type 2 diaberes in Thailand, and I worry that it increases the bodys ability to absorb sugar. There's a lot of that in Thai food too. A sprinkle? Well OK, I guess.But here it seems to be treated like a major food group.

I've also wondered about obese Americans, could that somehow be related to growth hormones fed to cattle? Sorry, I'm not trying to be derogerty to our colonial cousins, just my personal observations

Msg actually isn't really bad and most people who think they get headaches from it have an active imagination.

That said, it's pretty clear to me however they make the broth, it isn't good stuff.

Clearly these noodle stalls don't create a natural meat/vegetable stock from scratch like for a good western soup.

So it's a bunch of processed chemical crap, isn't it?

I don't know exactly what's in it ... does someone else?

No doubt way too much salt, that's for sure.

So much of cheap Thai street food is the opposite of health food.

in general there is not very much salt in the soup,

you, or the cook later put in fish sauce,

but you can tell him when he prepair your pot, no salt and you will add as much as you need or like !!