Thai Tourism Authorities look beyond China

webfact

Thai Tourism Authorities Look Beyond China
By Khaosod English

14246787431424680517l.jpg
Chinese new year celebrations in Bangkok on 18 Feb 2015.

BANGKOK – Tourism officials expect the number of Chinese visitors in Thailand to reach a record high this year, yet stress that Thailand's tourism industry must look to new markets to secure stable footing for the future.

"Even though Chinese tourists account for 18.66 per cent of visitors and continue to increase indefinitely, I don’t believe it is a sustainable path to developing the tourist industry in the long run if we only concentrate on the Chinese market," said Santi Chudintra, the Deputy Governor for Policy and Planning at the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

He continued, "We must find a new market at the same time … such as drawing potential tourists from Europe and India so that our national revenue will not be affected even if there are problems with the Chinese tourist sector."

The comments came during a mass influx of Chinese tourists to Thailand for the "Golden Week" of the Chinese New Year. Although Chinese tourists generate millions of baht in revenue for Thai businesses, they have become a frequent target of criticism among Thais, who say they are “poorly behaved” and insensitive to local customs.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1424678743

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-02-23

I am surprised to learn that now as the TAT has finally found the "quality tourists" they were looking for, they see the need to "look beyond them".

or maybe is it that due to their poor knowledge of English, TAT actually wanted to say " we need to look DOWN on them" ? rolleyes.gif

OK, let me see, anyone got a world map... ok, ok, GOT IT!! Beyond China is ... Mongolia cheesy.gif

Nepal looks a good bet and what about Nigeria, now there is place with some interesting tourists!

OK, let me see, anyone got a world map... ok, ok, GOT IT!! Beyond China is ... Mongolia cheesy.gif

Nepal looks a good bet and what about Nigeria, now there is place with some interesting tourists!

Turkmenistanis?

Chinese are not free-spenders like the western world is. for every amount they spend they want double back... I'm sure if you ask any thai vendor that... i'm sure they would they would have a lot to say on this... not trying to involve ethics...but the nature of their culture... (every part of the world they live in experiences that). what the MOT fails to report back is the profits...

"Although Chinese tourists generate millions of baht in revenue for Thai businesses, they have become a frequent target of criticism among Thais, who say they are “poorly behaved” and insensitive to local customs."

Someone would need to do a "PnL" statement to see if the 'revenue' is + or - to the economy in Thailand or just to the government... as Tax is the only advantage to the government but a negative to the vendors as they have to pay whether a Chinese does or doesnt. And i am sure, as they leave, they go to that counter to get back their VAT for tourists... which probably is not accounted for...

hehe, so just another "lets fluff up the figures" article.

"Thailand seeking out new tourist markets in Vanuatu, Tahiti, Fiji and American Samoa."

Thailand has beautiful beaches, palm trees and clear waters for snorkeling, plus some exotic birds. Something which the Polynesians will appreciate.

So why would they come here? Jet-skis?

I recall TAT had already targeted India...months ago...something to do with Indian weddings being held in Thailand and the huge amount of money spent on the weddings by the Indian folk.....TAT amnesia setting in?........or has the TAT dept lost it's piece of paper......listing "Previous Promoshuns"

As an aside...why would an Indian couple haul their family/friends entourage to Thailand to get married anyway...??

At one point Thailand had it all but their own greed and stupidity put paid to that.

It is possible to revive the European market but that would require a complete change in Thai attitudes (basically do away with Thainess). On top of that it will also require hard work and a firm resolve.

Considering the factors of Thainess, hard work and a firm resolve I suspend the European market will stay well away from Thailand.

First of all...

Thai' must learn a little about European cultures first to be so optimistic.

European people are always looking for qualities ....

They nature is to suspicious travelling to other countries.

This kind of weird things just happened in Los quickly spread over European people and even those who never tried Asia.

I was surprised in conversations between some people's finding that they know so much about situation in every aspect in today Thailand where they even never see Los before.

Yes, bad news are spread quickly.

Another thing is European's have big choice for holiday without leaving this continent. ...

Thai's seeing European tourist's as a Thailand future must strongly be advised that we are not like russians even living close to them.

They should start from teaching kids in schools geography and about at least some European cultures to just start understand other people nature.

I can only say that I just can not believe how much my Thai girlfriend know about world around her.

She is decent woman and hard working but when comes to talk about anything what is around the world...she is not even much interested. ...but I know she pretends that she is.

This is exactly the same with those who are on the top in Thailand planning their unrealistic future.

For me they are look as desperate kids.

Edited by gigman

this is the core problem here...thais look for a ''gimik,a new slogan, or a group to target''..the problem is in their backyard...take care of the beaches ,the taxi prdetors and the tour buses which have destroyed inner city life, and people will come,typical thai arrogance(ignorance)...''cant be us,must be the tourists''....

Edited by mok199

Thailand wanted to have it all, tourists from the whole world paying top prices. Now they should be happy with the chinese groups since that's all they can get.

Asking top$ and deliver low quality doesn't last long in the western world.

Thai baht is far too high at the moment. Also imported products are far too expensive in Thailand. Scams still not stopped so there's still much work to be done for the General.