Thai Air's New Jumbo Jets @ CNX - did they stop?

realthaideal

I've tried looking around at a few flight schedules, but it seems to me that the new jumbo jets we were talking about last year - maybe the 787s and A350s have stopped flying here. Just curious as I do notice that maybe at 10a, 3p, and 5p the planes do have a very different sound to them, quite a roar of a powerful engine. I remember several had said they were being put on the BKK-CNX route so that pilots could get some hrs on them before switching to use in long-haul flights.

Like I said, I tried searching but came up only with lists or 330s and 777s at those times. Any of you more web/plane savvy folks might know better, and any links or info offered are appreciated. Just curiosity as I like to be able to tell them apart from size, looks, and sound.

Good question, OP. The only time I saw a 787 was a while back and was from a distance and Yingluck (can we say "Yingluck" on this forum?) was on board. I haven't heard of any of those aircraft being at CNX for quite a while.

Edited by mesquite

For your info, TG's A350's (4 on order) will not enter into service before next year.

As far as the Boeing 787 is concerned, the first one ("“ONGKHARAK”, registration HS-TQA) was delivered in July last year. Four of the type (-800's) are in service, flying to Chiang Mai (inaugural flight), Perth and Tokyo.

• Like 2

Well, OP, as I was passing by the runway on an afternoon recently, I saw one Thai AIr BIG mother getting ready for take-off. If it wasn't Jumbo's mama, it should have been on a diet! Two engines, each larger than the average Hillside 4 condo! Don't know where it was going, but there's no rocket large enough to get it to the moon! Perth? Ok! That's pretty close!

Happy plane spotting!

A 350 ? Thai does not have any A350. In fact, the first ever A350 to be delivered to an Airline was the one for QATAR AIR and that was just a few weeks back. No other Airline in the world than QATAR AIRis flying the A350 at this moment yet.

B787 - THAI had one daily flight to CNX on a B787 end of last year, but the aircraft has been changed again. routes I am aware of where those aircraft are being employed are Singapore, Narita and Phuket. Thai operates four B787 at this moment, but only owns one of them, whereas the other three are leased

• Like 1

Well, OP, as I was passing by the runway on an afternoon recently, I saw one Thai AIr BIG mother getting ready for take-off. If it wasn't Jumbo's mama, it should have been on a diet! Two engines, each larger than the average Hillside 4 condo! Don't know where it was going, but there's no rocket large enough to get it to the moon! Perth? Ok! That's pretty close!

Happy plane spotting!

That was probably a B-777; they are huge twin-engined aircraft and dwarf most other jets flown into CNX. I have also flown many times either to or from BKK aboard a TG 747. The flight number out of CNX was 123. Also flew aboard a brand new 787 into CNX one time several months ago. A beautiful airliner indeed.

• Like 1

Goodness only knows what planes are about - but the flight paths have changed so now I get a Korean and Chinese plane shaking my house late at night early hours ... and some otehr noisy plane early morning ... they seem to follow the 121 and divert off at the appropriate road ... .. Is some one using a Freebie Chiang Mai Guide Map to navigate?

If Thai Airways stop catering to people who own a lot of stock of the company and expect to get some low price cuts or free flights, the airlines might make a decent profit. And that is the major problems with all the transportation companies. To much catering to every "Joe Blow" that wants a free ride at the expense of the company. From tour bus lines, to airplanes. Anyone

who thinks they are important and own a little interest holdings........expects a free ride and paying little if any for free service for themselves, family members, and distance relatives. This has to stop!!!

While on the subject of aircraft types , can anyone tell me what has happened to the airport Kan Air have built half way up the mountainside on Koh Phangan? Every time I pass a Kan Air office, I ask, and every time I am either met with blank incredulity, or they tell me that it will be in service next month!

Anyone know the real truth?

I too believe it's probably a 777 variant that I'm noticing by size and sound. Trouble is that I'm often out on the moto when I notice them overhead and then never remember to look them up on flightradar24 when home and they're still in the air.

This page seems to have the kind of info I'm looking for, and seems to be current. http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do

Mainly I wanted to know if the 787s were in service here anymore or if I really was just seeing the fat 777s up there (though I suspected they'd be easy to discern by sight). I'm certainly no plane expert and that's also why I was posting. I guess some of the other new jets aren't even in service yet, like the 350 - but see that's why I was posting - to find out what's in service and what might be up there when it draws my attention.

Reading up on some of the newer Airbus 330s too - will have to research a little more to compare to 777 sizes and what's actually in the CNX-BKK TG routes. Seems the 777s win on engine size, though the A330-300's carrying capacity is seemingly close to those of the 777. But we'll save more investigations for the next round of procrastination in a few hours.

I remember the 380 fiasco. I waited for a cpl hrs on the footbridge by the motor vehicles office only to hear it had had a fender-bender on its press tour inaugural voyage from BKK. Couldn't be bothered to wait a cpl more hrs to see it arrive that day, though remember hearing it.

Met some friendly Menonites up on the bridge that day - truly a cross-section of CM showed up to watch or photograph the event.

• Like 2

I catch the 10.10am (TG103) from CNX to BKK regularly. The flight originates in Frankfurt and was mostly 747's but now more often they're using 777's.

Previously with the Jumbo's, if you were travelling "business" and you checked in early at CNX.. they'd bump you up to First Class, but not now with the 777's.

I catch the 10.10am (TG103) from CNX to BKK regularly. The flight originates in Frankfurt and was mostly 747's but now more often they're using 777's.

Previously with the Jumbo's, if you were travelling "business" and you checked in early at CNX.. they'd bump you up to First Class, but not now with the 777's.

This seems to me the biggest aircraft flying out of CNX. It really rattles the windows.

post-111567-0-64354000-1424946981_thumb.

A 350 ? Thai does not have any A350. In fact, the first ever A350 to be delivered to an Airline was the one for QATAR AIR and that was just a few weeks back. No other Airline in the world than QATAR AIRis flying the A350 at this moment yet.

B787 - THAI had one daily flight to CNX on a B787 end of last year, but the aircraft has been changed again. routes I am aware of where those aircraft are being employed are Singapore, Narita and Phuket. Thai operates four B787 at this moment, but only owns one of them, whereas the other three are leased

In December last year they also flew to and from Ho Chi Minh City. I flew on the B787 from Ho Chi Minh to Bangkok last December. I think Hanoi is another route where the B787 is operating. Anyway, there are so many changes to their schedules, it's hard to keep track. First it was Perth, then no longer. Then Tokyo, Singapore, Chiang Mai, Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi and apparently Perth again.

This seems to me the biggest aircraft flying out of CNX. It really rattles the windows.

United flies to Chiang Mai? wink.png

Anyway, the loudest by far would be the older TG 747s, mostly used around peak holiday times. But that probably gets less and less, and TG will be (trying to) sell most of their 747s.

But at least those were 747-400s.

Remember these? Even louder. They were great! wink.png

75504_1288949785.jpg

But seriously, that's a nice reminder of what it was like before; first: no choice at all, just TG. Then the market opened up and you got all kinds of cowboy companies flying old clunkers all over the place.

And now.. bliss. Lots of great airlines like Air Asia and Lion Air, PG.. all flying perfectly sane, new small Airbus planes.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai