Targeted young Lao teens prohibited from entering Thailand

webfact

Targeted young Lao teens prohibited from entering Thailand

Vientiane (Vientiane Times) -- The Lao authorities have acknowledged Thailand's decision to ban Lao teens from entering the Kingdom, aimed at combating transnational human trafficking.

Head of Border Checkpoint for Laos at the second Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge, Bounkham Phoutthichak said the Lao authorities had received the official letter from Thai immigration authorities in charge of border checkpoints at the second Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge.

"We have already submitted a letter informing about the move to Administrative Office of Savannakhet province," he told Vientiane Times yesterday.

Head of Border Checkpoint for Laos at the first Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge, Somboun Souvannachoumkham said the Thai authorities at the checkpoint had already taken action to carry out stricter migration procedures prohibiting at-risk groups from entering the kingdom.

He stated that the Thai immigration authorities had not informed the Lao side officially that they would impose the tougher rule but he had received reports that the implementation of the rule had already taken place.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Targeted-young-Lao-teens-prohibited-from-entering--30254742.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-24

Last week they were complaining that Thailand would need over 3 million new workers over the next 2 years now they want to ban some people from entering the country because of their age. Karaoke bars are full of young Laos girls but nothing is done about this. Just banning all teenagers will not stop human trafficking but I suppose they will tell the international community see we are doing something about the problem.

Edited by barry51

If this is done with a little sanity then it's a good move. Just make sure teenagers are accompanied by a legal parent or guardian and never allow in large groups of teens in the company of only one or two adults...stuff like that. People who are familiar with trafficking should be able to come up with some well thought out rules...oh yeah, TIT.

They were not only targeting teens, they were targeting "single" Lao ladies. Pulled aside, many questions asked and up to 1,000 baht (usual 200) later lady could go. No problem last weekend, apparently they relax in late afternoon, maybe already have enough to pay their Lao mia noi's?

Last week they were complaining that Thailand would need over 3 million new workers over the next 2 years now they want to ban some people from entering the country because of their age. Karaoke bars are full of young Laos girls but nothing is done about this. Just banning all teenagers will not stop human trafficking but I suppose they will tell the international community see we are doing something about the problem.

Maybe where you are nothing is being done about the Laotians in karaoke bars but here in rural Surat several bars have already been shut down. Only the bars with Isarn ladies are still open but even many of them are voluntarily closing because the police still raid them anyway.

• Like 1

They send over those above 35 of age. Very low probability of human trafficking and those bars would triple the sales of alcohol which is needed to soften the blow.

• Like 1

I hope the Lao return the favour and keep Thai teens from entering Lao....I have seen Lao youth and Thai youth and believe me, its the Thai youth that run away with the award for Simian, reckless and rude behaviour far and beyond Lao youth....infact I have found Lao youth to be respectful, earnest and relatively sincere compared with the types I encounter on this side of the river...but thats just my experience....

as I sat at a guesthouse and shared a joint with some of them, one pointed to me and said "freedom for this here in Lao" obviously talking about how such action wouldn't fly across the river...

Edited by Smurkster

Those Lao's should thank their lucky stars they can't come here. After all; now they can't get the rap for every murder, rape, robbery, credit card theft or fake goods movement/sale in Thailand. Nope; they will have to keep arresting Burmese, as we know Thai people '' would never do anything like that '' !

• Like 1

Gee wiz!

Do you think maybe this has something to do with the number of Lao teens in Karaoke bars and the like?

They are trying to make a difference.

Just not good enough for you I guess.

Thing is that they start 'marrying' and having kids as young as 12 or 13 and need to support them.

Then again with the amount of teenage girls in the area that have been knocked up and even those pretending to be knocked up (buying tampons in a shop where the guy you are pretending is a daddy to be works isn't clever)by the male Laos workers in the area due to the girl trying to get herself a husband and of course the randy fella it maybe a good thing. Then again what's to stop them back home, lack of income ? Nah.

This won't stop them coming or working in bars, only the police closing down all the bars would , but will they bite the hand that feeds ? Nah.

Damn....

That river is not as deep as the one in Mexico. A quick swim...and in some places...just wade through...or hide in some boat. I had a hispanic grandpa from my mom.

My grandma smuggled quite a bit of hootch from Canada in the Prohibition. Spoke french.

The saint Lawrence is a lot tougher to cross than both the Mekong or the Rio Grande. My dad's parents.

You guys got to be kidding me. I can wade across some places in the Mekong. Especially now. No border guards.

Edited by slipperylobster

Gee wiz!

Do you think maybe this has something to do with the number of Lao teens in Karaoke bars and the like?

They are trying to make a difference.

Just not good enough for you I guess.

"They are trying to make a difference." blink.png

Then why have they not done anything before?

I highly doubt their sincerity.

Or honor for that matter.

They had two years from Tier 2 to Tier 3, and did nothing.

In classic Thainess, they were hoping all the attention would just go away.

This, is just window dressing.

Cynical at best.

The Lao authorities have acknowledged Thailand's decision to ban Lao teens from entering the Kingdom, aimed at combating transnational human trafficking.

Let's see, if we can spot the mistake here!

"...ban Laos teens from entering the Kingdom, aimed at combating transnational human trafficking..."

Hmmmmm....if they are entering at the Tha- laos Friendship Bridge.....legally entering Thailand...with documents and passport...human traficking...hmmmm....

...and these clowns seriously can't figure out, why no one takes their "fighting human trafficking" efforts serious!

This is just to show some actions, fishing for compliment to getting better rated again.

I hope the Lao return the favour and keep Thai teens from entering Lao....I have seen Lao youth and Thai youth and believe me, its the Thai youth that run away with the award for Simian, reckless and rude behaviour far and beyond Lao youth....infact I have found Lao youth to be respectful, earnest and relatively sincere compared with the types I encounter on this side of the river...but thats just my experience....

as I sat at a guesthouse and shared a joint with some of them, one pointed to me and said "freedom for this here in Lao" obviously talking about how such action wouldn't fly across the river...

Pork joint was it?

• Like 1

Here in Mae Sai the river crossing into Myanmar 20 feet across and at this time only 2 feet deep. Burmes are crossing both ways,even during daylight

Holy smoke to compare Mae Sai River/Creek(ca. 25mtr) with Mekong(ca. 550mtr. wid). in Nongkhai getting is just ridiculous, getting a clue.