Chilean cyclist's funeral to be held at temple in Khon Kaen

webfact

Chilean cyclist's funeral to be held at Thai temple
By Coconuts Bangkok

cyclist.head__0.jpg

KHON KAEN: -- The funeral of the Chilean cyclist who was killed Saturday on a Thai highway will be held at a temple in Khon Kaen in keeping with his last request.

Juan Francisco Guillermo, 47, set out in 2010 to cycle 250,000 kilometers in five years to set a Guinness World Record.
He was eight months from finishing when a truck swerved into his lane and struck him on a highway in Nakhon Ratchasima Saturday.

His Singaporean wife Ng-Poh Leng, whose life was spared along with their 2-year-old son as they were riding another bicycle, said the family will hold the funeral at Wat Pa Tham Uttayan in Khon Kaen province.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/02/24/chilean-cyclists-funeral-be-held-thai-temple

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-02-24

This story makes me so sad, and mad.

A Chilean doing something positive with his life gets taken out by an insignifcant Thai doing nothing with his life.

"insignificant Thai doing nothing with his life"?

For once I am relatively speechless...

• Like 1

What a tragic waste of life.

It is long past time the government insisted on Thai learning to drive properly.

It is a damned disgrace the standard of driving in this country.

Go to the driving license office put your foot on a pedal when you see a red light, then get a license.

I know it was a stupid crazy bas...d who took away my ability to walk, paralysed for life .

What happened to the pickup driver (senior government official) SWEET F...ALL

rest in peace, sorry your dream was not fullfilled

Govt compensates family of dead world cyclist

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Tourism and Sports will handover this week Bt300,000 in assistance money to the wife and son of the late Chilean intercontinental cyclist Juan Francisco Guillermo, 48, Nakhon Ratchasima Tourism and Sports Office director Pichet Dechakhamphu announced Tuesday.

Guillermo was killed in a road accident in tambon Bua Lai in Nakhon Ratchasima's Bua Yai district on Saturday while completing the final leg of a five-year, round-the-world cycling journey.

Guillermo's 39-year-old Singaporean wife, Pei Ling, and their two-year-old son, were also injured in the accident, and Tuesday remained at Bua Yai Hospital. Pei Ling sustained a broken leg and will take another week to recover.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Govt-compensates-family-of-dead-world-cyclist-30254764.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-24

• Like 2

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Tourism and Sports will handover this week Bt300,000 in assistance money to the wife and son of the late Chilean intercontinental cyclist Juan Francisco Guillermo, 48, Nakhon Ratchasima Tourism and Sports Office director Pichet Dechakhamphu announced Tuesday.

Guillermo was killed in a road accident in tambon Bua Lai in Nakhon Ratchasima's Bua Yai district on Saturday while completing the final leg of a five-year, round-the-world cycling journey.

Guillermo's 39-year-old Singaporean wife, Pei Ling, and their two-year-old son, were also injured in the accident, and Tuesday remained at Bua Yai Hospital. Pei Ling sustained a broken leg and will take another week to recover.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Govt-compensates-family-of-dead-world-cyclist-30254764.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-02-24

So 300,000 baht is what Thaines thinks this mans life and destroyed family is worth. Unbeliveable.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-02-24

So 300,000 baht is what Thaines thinks this mans life and destroyed family is worth. Unbeliveable.

It is a gift from the government. The driver's insurance is another source. The driver himself is yet another. Finally, and most importantly, the victim's insurance company should pay.

If a foreigner dies in a road accident in my country the US government will pay nothing.

The Federal govt would'nt pay, but the state might. New York State has an agency the purpose of which is to compensate victims of uninsured motorists. I doubt there is any such provision in the red states, where the citizen can enjoy his freedoms without assistance from the state.

It is long past time the government insisted on Thai learning to drive properly.

Go to the driving license office put your foot on a pedal when you see a red light, then get a license.

I know it was a stupid crazy bas...d who took away my ability to walk, paralysed for life .

I am so sorry to hear of your own experience....what a dreadful thing to have happened to you. GB.

• Like 1

wrong in america government does not have to pay anything because insurance would kick in and pay all medical bills , and a great amount of money considering husband in good health died. and if that was not up to the wife expections she would be free to sue the driver and his insurance company, if no coverage his personal assest would be at risk. THAT IS WHY PEOPLE DRIvE PROPERLY WHERE WE LIVE BECAUSE IT WILL PUT YOU IN THE POOR HOUSE. at 10k in dollars i could drive blind and kill people off by the dozens think about that and still have money to tip the cops at the scene. the 300k the family got still has to go to medical bills in thailand

The Thai Government didn't cause the accident. So the offer of 300,00 baht was very generous.

You wouldn't get a penny in any other country. And to be honest is it a good idea to bicycle around rural Thailand, given the danger on the roads.

Your comparative assessment is absolutely correct. The 300Kbht from the Thai government is quite generous, all things considered.

However, my main concern, after the fact, is how the Thai government will handle the judicial aspects of the incident. Will a Thai magistrate

step-up to the plate, by sending a clear, nation-wide public message to the Thai people: "The irresponsible and reckless operation of a motor

vehicle, that causes the loss of another human-being's life, carries both a severe financial and incarceration penalty for the perpetrator".

The enforcement of that regulatory statute would be (universally) considered, as responsible (adult) governance. Behaving as a GROWN_UP, begins @ the highest social levels of society.coffee1.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-02-24

It is a gift from the government. The driver's insurance is another source. The driver himself is yet another. Finally, and most importantly, the victim's insurance company should pay.

If a foreigner dies in a road accident in my country the US government will pay nothing.

The Federal govt would'nt pay, but the state might. New York State has an agency the purpose of which is to compensate victims of uninsured motorists. I doubt there is any such provision in the red states, where the citizen can enjoy his freedoms without assistance from the state.

There's no reason to assume that the driver didn't have insurance. Insured drivers pay into the fund that covers uninsured drivers in NY. It isn't state funds

Regarding the post above. Innocent until proven guilty perhaps rings a bell.

Edited by jdinasia

where did you hear that the driver as a senior government official? never said it in any of the news I read. The driver waited for the police to arrive instead of flee. So he was arrested and let out on bail.

This is a debate that i have thought hard about. Who is actually responsible for something like this and many more cases like it around the world. For instance in any developed nation, laws are put in place so as to not jeopardize yourself and others. This goes through from health and safety in construction right up to putting your seat belt on, these implementations have over the years cost billions of tax payers money to put in place. Example, ''you would not be allowed to build a swimming pool right next to a street light in most countries''! Visitors to these countries benefit from these laws. However countries such as Thailand and others can advertise without spelling out the dangers the country poses for the unknowing visitor. I just feel that this is wrong, i think the world travel industry needs to address this issue and countries with high mortality rates for tourists should have to pay higher premiums to be allowed to advertise themselves on the world market. I should assume it would be difficult to get insurance for a 5 year around the world record attempt, then again why should people be made to pay hideous insurance premiums to visit a country that can portray itself in the same light as a developed nation when marketing itself in countries that are fundamentally safety conscious. If the world does not start making these countries liable for their recklessness what incentive is there for it to address the problems. There has to be some financial policing and these countries should be made to pay for these things if they wish to benefit from the same playing field as the countries who cater for the well being of its visitors.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-02-24

In America you would not find a driver who has probably been at the wheel for the past 14 hours. We are giving them the gift allowing these countries to market and advertise for tourists on the same playing field as a developed country.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-24

I think this statement is very unfair. There was an accident and the government is paying for damages. Of course it is not his life being paid for.

where did you hear that the driver as a senior government official? never said it in any of the news I read. The driver waited for the police to arrive instead of flee. So he was arrested and let out on bail.

If you read colinneil's post again I think you will realise that he was referring to his own experience of being the victim of a reckless driver.

Edited by chickenslegs

I wonder why some people stay in Thailand with there hatred of Thai's. anyone know what temple and date of the funeral

"... hatred of thai´s" - do you mean why people would like to see some Justice ... ? Like the bastard pickup-driver in prison, what punishment do you think would be okay ? A slap on the wrist bah.gif ?

I wonder why some people stay in Thailand with there hatred of Thai's. anyone know what temple and date of the funeral

"... hatred of thai´s" - do you mean why people would like to see some Justice ... ? Like the bastard pickup-driver in prison, what punishment do you think would be okay ? A slap on the wrist bah.gif ?

I assume you are from a Western country. What is the appropriate penalty for someone who has not had a trial?