more traffic chaos - Sukhumvit road works

sedge

Just a heads up - my staff have downloaded from the Pattaya City Hall website, maps indicating the new one way traffic flows on the sois running east off Sukhumvit ... which start at 9am tomorrow according to the website ..... thought you might like to know!

True. Apologies for my abruptness. I tend to get a bit irritating when people post cryptic, relatively useless things about important subjects, that leave with nothing more than more questions.

So, could you please give us enough information to help us understand what is going to happen to the traffic patterns? Either a URL that will lead us to clear information; or a written description that specifies those changes.

Thank you.

It would be very helpful if someone could provide some extra information about this. I have tried to look at the City Hall site and found nothing.

So sedge if you have got this info could you please put either the URL or post the maps on this topic.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

www.pattaya.go.th must be the official website. It's one of the most worst websites i ever saw. laugh.png

This is what I found on there:

Services on the traffic and transportation

The management of the traffic and transportation is one of the functions that Pattaya City regards as important issue to be settled for projects; and shall be operated in order to solve problems together with other organizations and offices in the area.

1. “Parking without worrying and moving safely” is the slogan for the parking service center for car and boat parking. The Pattaya City is now working on the construction of the parking center in order to make the tourist comfort and safe to travel with the good standard of the road, or to travel safely through the water route.
  2. The automatic traffic light control, which is controlled by the computer, has been connected at every junction. The heaviness of the traffic has been checked and the traffic light has been adjusted to suit the density of the traffic, so that the green –red traffic lights are related at every junction.

"""Just a heads up - my staff have downloaded from the Pattaya City Hall website, maps indicating the new one way traffic flows on the sois running east off Sukhumvit ... which start at 9am tomorrow according to the website ..... thought you might like to know! """

I'm trying to understand why any member of ThaiVisa would be interested to know that your staff have downloaded maps indicating the new 1-way traffic flows.

• Like 2

Damn.......a poster takes the effort to post valuable information but unfortunately the link as mentioned got lost or was forgotten.

Immediately all kind of "ūbermensch"-like of people start moaning about this.

Long live the close expat-community in Pattaya.

If you would like to know about the traffic flow on Sukhumvit, get on/in your vehicle and drive/ride from East to West (or v.v.) crossing Sukhumvit

• Like 1

I saw this posted yesterday on another local forum (no link, sorry, I can't remember where I saw it exactly). The stuff about the Dark Side didn't interest me as I seldom go over there, so I can't tell you what was involved, but I was interested to see that they're also changing the system at the Pattaya Klang/Third Road junction. Apparently you won't be able to turn east heading towards Big C Extra and Foodland into Klang any more (or go straight ahead if you're actually on Klang). So how do you get to Big C Extra/Foodland unless you're coming west from Suk? I've no idea! And yes, the maps were all in Thai.

So how do you get to Big C Extra

That should be easy, as there is an entry/exit possible from 3rd road.

When I left the car park I always landed at 3rd road.

I hope the link works:

https://goo.gl/maps/1xSSK

True, BENQ, BUT ... There is no traffic signal at the turn from 3rd Rd into that BIG C entrance. So, with no other entry from the north, imagine the traffic mess there! Once a line of vehicles making that left turn off of 3rd Rd gets a break in the north bound 3rd Rd traffic, that north bound traffic will come to a halt - likely backing all the way back up to Klang during busy hours.

I fail to see any logical (there's that word again!) reason for eliminating the left turn onto Klang from 3rd Rd. How was that a problem?

And does the final comment by Guderian mean that you now MUST turn either right or left onto 3rd Rd when coming up from the beach on Klang? If so, this whole "plan" looks like a knee jerk reaction to the fact that their closure of the Klang/Suk intersection (an idiotic decision to begin with) caused a massive backup on Klang.

Honestly, these people haven't got a CLUE! They are killing the poor business owners on Klang! (No, I'm not one of those owners.)

Mods, May I make another suggestion? This thread is another addressing the subject of the traffic problems related to the tunnel construction. Shouldn't you close it, and transfer its content to the main Pattaya Forum thread on this at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/801450-east-sukhumvit-intersection-wpattaya-klang-closed/ ? Again, it seems like we're splitting the subject here, aren't we?

Mods, May I make another suggestion? This thread is another addressing the subject of the traffic problems related to the tunnel construction. Shouldn't you close it, and transfer its content to the main Pattaya Forum thread on this at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/801450-east-sukhumvit-intersection-wpattaya-klang-closed/ ? Again, it seems like we're splitting the subject here, aren't we?

With a complete lack of information from the OP I reckon do not close this one just delete it.

So how do you get to Big C Extra

That should be easy, as there is an entry/exit possible from 3rd road.

When I left the car park I always landed at 3rd road.

I hope the link works:

https://goo.gl/maps/1xSSK

True, BENQ, BUT ... There is no traffic signal at the turn from 3rd Rd into that BIG C entrance. So, with no other entry from the north, imagine the traffic mess there! Once a line of vehicles making that left turn off of 3rd Rd gets a break in the north bound 3rd Rd traffic, that north bound traffic will come to a halt - likely backing all the way back up to Klang during busy hours.

I fail to see any logical (there's that word again!) reason for eliminating the left turn onto Klang from 3rd Rd. How was that a problem?

And does the final comment by Guderian mean that you now MUST turn either right or left onto 3rd Rd when coming up from the beach on Klang? If so, this whole "plan" looks like a knee jerk reaction to the fact that their closure of the Klang/Suk intersection (an idiotic decision to begin with) caused a massive backup on Klang.

Honestly, these people haven't got a CLUE! They are killing the poor business owners on Klang! (No, I'm not one of those owners.)

OK, I found the map again of the new Klang/3rd Road system. Supposed to take effect from today - has it anyone? It doesn't make much sense to me either, but it looks like they are completely blocking off the east-bound lane of Klang east of that junction.

post-51556-0-54085800-1424839228_thumb.j

BTW, I don't think we're supposed to post links to other chat forums on this board are we? Plus you need to be a member to read this thread. Anyway, if you want to find the maps of what's supposed to happen in East Pattaya as well then the board it's on is a Secret (or it used to be, at least) and the thread is entitled New Traffic Management At Intersections In Pattaya From Feb 25th.

• Like 1

I saw this posted yesterday on another local forum (no link, sorry, I can't remember where I saw it exactly). The stuff about the Dark Side didn't interest me as I seldom go over there, so I can't tell you what was involved, but I was interested to see that they're also changing the system at the Pattaya Klang/Third Road junction. Apparently you won't be able to turn east heading towards Big C Extra and Foodland into Klang any more (or go straight ahead if you're actually on Klang). So how do you get to Big C Extra/Foodland unless you're coming west from Suk? I've no idea! And yes, the maps were all in Thai.

Yes Guderian and many, many thanks for that map of the Klang/Third cockup!

I came upon this unannounced "traffic management feature" at 8.30 PM last night as I drove north on Third wanting to turn east on Klang and escape along Sukhumvit to the Highway 7 ramp. Absolute mayhem, as they had channeled 3 lanes back into 2 lanes heading north on Third. I was lucky and caught the lights so, in true falang loo mahk style and ignoring the cop blowing his whistle and frantically waving his flashlight at me, I did a 2 point-turn in the intersection, headed back the way I came for 50 m and took Chaloemprakiat Soi 8 (the first road east) that feeds onto Arunothai via Chaloemprakiat Soi 10 and the traffic lights at Big C Extra, turned right and escaped.

Coming west from Sukhumvit, you will need to take the turn into Nua and exit first left (before the bus station) onto Paniadchiang towards Klang and turn right into Big C Extra or left at the Klang lights to Foodland. You can also use several soi coming west off Sukhumvit to connect with Paniadchiang.

OK, I found the map again of the new Klang/3rd Road system. Supposed to take effect from today - has it anyone? It doesn't make much sense to me either, but it looks like they are completely blocking off the east-bound lane of Klang east of that junction.

Yes. Yesterday travelling east from 2nd Road along Klang towards Sukumvit you were obliged to either turn left or right onto 3rd Road instead of going straight ahead. Of course this also makes it very hard to reach BigC and when I got there the car park was unusually empty.

Yes. Yesterday travelling east from 2nd Road along Klang towards Sukumvit you were obliged to either turn left or right onto 3rd Road instead of going straight ahead. Of course this also makes it very hard to reach BigC and when I got there the car park was unusually empty.

Other than to sabotage Big C Extra's and Foodland's customer base, any idea why they've done this at the Klang/3rd Road junction?

Other than to sabotage Big C Extra's and Foodland's customer base, any idea why they've done this at the Klang/3rd Road junction?

Good question.

It's quite surreal to see half the road empty as I watched last night

And for a while last night they even blocked off Klang at the junction of second road although I don't know why. Other than the odd motorbike no vehicles going all the way up Klang -an amazing sight!

Edited by Asiantravel

Its seems a rather bizarre solution IMHO as this only makes Klang one-way (west) for a whole 260 m between the Third road traffic lights and the Big C Extra (Charoemprakiat/Arunothai traffic lights.

Earlier in the day, they had police directing traffic at the top end of Third at the Nua traffic lights... where they happily allowed buses coming in from Sukhumvit to make u-turns. I didn't go east on Nua but is this because they may have blocked the u-turn in front of the bus terminal to allow faster egress from Sukhumvit?

Edited by NanLaew

Maybe it is all part of a learning curve towards a one-size-fits-all solution to both regular rush-hour and tourist bus traffic as well as the major tunneling works? I have seen more traffic cops (or cops directing traffic) in the past 24-hours than I have seen in years. Hopefully, they will realise that on top of the typical, local Mon-Fri morning and late afternoon rush hours, there's market days and the pre- and post-show and dining evening flood by buses full of Chinese and Indians. They may also note the dozens of empty buses that park up along the RED & WHITE kerb on Third between Tai and Pratumnak during the shows/dining, reducing rush-hour traffic to single-lane each way.

Once they have that all managed... it will be the weekend where the dynamics change and it all goes out the window.

Yes, Guderian. As I said the other day, this was an ill conceived knee jerk reaction to the backup caused by their ill conceived shutdown of the left turn from Klang onto Sukhumvit. All of which, of course, along with the rest of the screwed up traffic flow changes, is a result of their ill conceived tunnel tea money project!