East Sukhumvit Intersection w/Pattaya Klang Closed

patsfangr

We knew this was coming. Just thought I'd those of you who haven't been out to discover it yet that the intersection for a right turn into Pattaya Klang from Sukhumvit; or a right turn from P. Klang to Suk; is currently closed due to the tunnel construction activity. If you're travelling south on Suk, you will have to go to the U-turn opening just before Big C to turn back, and get to P. Klang.

I didn't see any signs indicating how long it will be so. If anyone knows, it would be helpful to all if you could post that information here.

• Like 1

Thanks, Mobi. I didn't realize that a thread was already running. I've set to "Follow" it; and suggest that others do the same; and that the mods close this one with a reference to the established thread.

I do think it will be helpful to many here if we post updates to that thread to keep all advised of closures and effective detours.

I also knew it was coming. However, yesterday I wanted to go to the bank in Pattaya on my bike. I turned out of Siam CC road and could not turn left in to Klang. "OK I thought, just go down to South Pattaya Road. Horrendous, they were re-surfacing parts of Sukhumvit and the traffic chaos was enormous - at 11am.

I raise this because I cannot understand the logic of re-surfacing Suk between Klang and South at the same time as closing the access. Does the right hand know what the left is doing?. I'm just glad I wasn't in the car.

• Like 1

I also knew it was coming. However, yesterday I wanted to go to the bank in Pattaya on my bike. I turned out of Siam CC road and could not turn left in to Klang. "OK I thought, just go down to South Pattaya Road. Horrendous, they were re-surfacing parts of Sukhumvit and the traffic chaos was enormous - at 11am.

I raise this because I cannot understand the logic of re-surfacing Suk between Klang and South at the same time as closing the access. Does the right hand know what the left is doing?. I'm just glad I wasn't in the car.

LOL! Did you just use the word "logic" in a sentence addressing Thai infrastructure activity? ROFLMAO!

Are the traffic lights still working on that intersection? Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they did wink.png

If I remember correctly the traffic lights at Suk/Klang has been off since Sunday.

So they've got that part right tongue.png

Are the traffic lights still working on that intersection? Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they did wink.png

If I remember correctly the traffic lights at Suk/Klang has been off since Sunday.

So they've got that part right tongue.png

No lights working at all. Good luck at rush hour everyone when trying to squeeze into northbound traffic that's been cut to (effectively) 2 lanes, sometimes 3.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

The sign says works for 800 odd days...... so at least 5 years then sad.png

?

800 days is a little more than 2 years.

"odd"? odd/even? Still not 5 years.

I couldn't remember the exact number of days the roadwork sign says 860, 890, 889.....

whatever the sign says its almost guarenteed that it will take longer than planed...my guess is at least 5 years.

I used Klang onto Sukhumvit at 2 pm on a scooter. It was a metre by metre crawl. Police were blocking the 90-degree left onto Suk from Klang. You and the thousands of other cars at rush hour are going to have to squeeze 3-4 Klang lanes into two at the little left-hander slip road before Suk and then one lane at the outlet onto Suk. OMG, what a clusteryouknowwhat. Three years of this.

I now am seriously considering moving back to the beach side of Suk.

• Like 1

I used Klang onto Sukhumvit at 2 pm on a scooter. It was a metre by metre crawl. Police were blocking the 90-degree left onto Suk from Klang. You and the thousands of other cars at rush hour are going to have to squeeze 3-4 Klang lanes into two at the little left-hander slip road before Suk and then one lane at the outlet onto Suk. OMG, what a clusteryouknowwhat. Three years of this.

I'm not being funny but the developing situation in Pattaya with traffic is one of a number of reasons why I am going back to Europe.

I honestly believe the place will grind to a halt one day. It only needs a serious accident at somewhere like the crossroads of 3rd Road and Klang to gridlock the whole place.

Lived on the darkside for 7 years and I just wish some businessman with imagination had built a 'superstore' this side. It's simply a nightmare now going shopping in the town.

It might be 'the city of fun' at night, as my radio station keeps telling me, but its certainly not that during the daytime.

Returning home is a theme I'm hearing more and more from friends and acquaintances. Many are going back for much longer than usual. I'm one of them. Planning at least a 2-month long return, a personal record for me. As it is for emilymat, there are many reasons for leaving, one of them being the cost of living here constantly on the rise, partly due to exchange rate changes. Now the traffic nightmare has begun, or I should say, has increased exponentially from the usual Pattaya nightmare.

Yes, a Darkside superstore would be a big help.

Accurate description of the mess, only thing you forgot were the busses that still think that they have a god given right to park on Northbound Suk right before the Duty Free store, thus making the merging even more frightful

Unfortunately the drivers here have no idea of the concept of "alternate" merge. I remember on German autobahns the traffic would hardly slow down when merging since everyone understood that they couldn't all be me first

The sign says works for 800 odd days...... so at least 5 years then sad.png

?

800 days is a little more than 2 years.

"odd"? odd/even? Still not 5 years.

If you take in consideration that it takes 1 hour for a Thai to show up, when he says he will be around in 5 minutes, then 800 days is way over 5 years.

• Like 1

Thanks Forkinhades smile.png

After discussion it has been decided that as the other topic is a News topic in Pattaya News Clippings we should have one main thread in Pattaya about this three year nightmare project at Pattaya Klang

Now, let's imagine for a moment that the geniuses of the Pattaya government had decided to build an OVERPASS, rather than a <deleted>' TUNNEL.

Significantly LESS time. Significantly LESS expense; Significantly LESS disruption of existing traffic patterns.

Most overpasses today, some right here in our area, are built with one central support structure. That could have been done using the existing median strip along Sukhumvit Road.

Tell me this decision wasn't based on money going into the bottomless pockets of politicians and their friends! ... HELLO? ... HELLO" ... Is anybody there?