Is a Filipino online teaching diploma worth the paper its written on?

davidst01

Here is a link for an online Filipino teaching diploma...

http://www.trecemartirescitycollege.com.ph/

Will completing this diploma satisfy the requirements for a teaching diploma or is it worthless.

What about this thai one:

http://www.stic.ac.th/inter/main/en/images/home/graduate-diploma-1.gif

Has anyone actually completed any of the above qualifications and have you subsequently obtained a TL. Im hoping that no one working at the Filipino institution reads this as Im after truthful answers only...

I currently work for a thai govt uni where a TL is not required but Im trying to plan ahead in life.

thanks

Short answer: NO.

The TCT will pretty soon announce its new regulations and from what I've heard will you have to have a degree from your country of origin.

A degree from the Philippines is as good as a degree from Thailand. Please correct me if I'm wrong. wai2.gif

Some of these degrees are adequate for the purposes of getting a Thai teacher's licence at the moment. However their usefulness outside of Thailand and the Philippines is the issue - they're unlikely to help you secure employment anywhere else. So their use is of limited applicability in terms of life planning. There are other qualifications available from other academic institutions which are worth exploring: from the UK, Sunderland and Nottingham university offer post-graduate teaching level degrees though not the much sought after Qualified Teacher Status ('QTS') ; there are US and Australian universities too that offer similar qualifications. The general advice would be that you'll get the best teaching jobs on the best wages and terms with credentials, experience and 'QTS' status from your 'home' country. If you are young enough and have the inclination, go home and do it - then the world will be your lobster!

• Like 1

If you're going to study, then it'd make sense to either:

1/ Study in your home country, where you can receive a degree which is from a good university while only paying domestic tuition fees (I assume your country, like most, subsidizes tertiary education for locals).

2/ Study in Thailand, there are international programs etc which are available for foreigners, and should provide you with the necessary qualification for Thailand. Even if you were to study at a lower ranked university in Thailand, the qualification should always be accepted in Thailand, since it's from a Thai university. Although I'd encourage you to study at one of the better universities if possible, since then your degree would have more use outside of Thailand (Although at a good university the tuition fees would be higher, possibly almost as much as studying in your home country).

• Like 1

Some of these degrees are adequate for the purposes of getting a Thai teacher's licence at the moment. However their usefulness outside of Thailand and the Philippines is the issue - they're unlikely to help you secure employment anywhere else. So their use is of limited applicability in terms of life planning. There are other qualifications available from other academic institutions which are worth exploring: from the UK, Sunderland and Nottingham university offer post-graduate teaching level degrees though not the much sought after Qualified Teacher Status ('QTS') ; there are US and Australian universities too that offer similar qualifications. The general advice would be that you'll get the best teaching jobs on the best wages and terms with credentials, experience and 'QTS' status from your 'home' country. If you are young enough and have the inclination, go home and do it - then the world will be your lobster!

Good advice

When I was young ie 27, I thought of doing my PGCE but procrastinated and now I am too old 52.

The world is still my lobster though.

• Like 1

Eh it feels like one of those things, if you want to stay here with it fair enough. I would wonder how well it transfers to other countries, especially ones that only hire NES teachers. Sometimes in life you get what you pay for.

Having said that, I have no personal experience with it. Hoping for the best with it, as I know lots of teachers are scrambling to get their professional portfolios better =)

• Like 1

Good advice

When I was young ie 27, I thought of doing my PGCE but procrastinated and now I am too old 52.

Blooming heck I'm doing the Nottingham PGCEi right now at 56 and it is going ok, I hasten to add. I really don't want to stay here, though, the education system really depresses me. So young man, if I may say so, you're never too old!

• Like 2

Good advice

Blooming heck I'm doing the Nottingham PGCEi right now at 56 and it is going ok, I hasten to add. I really don't want to stay here, though, the education system really depresses me. So young man, if I may say so, you're never too old!

Respect Sir!

To be honest with 3 kids between 15 and 26, I can't really afford a course like Nottingham. PLus, I would like to retire soon so wouldn't be worth it.

• Like 1

Good advice

That's nice to know. i am signing up for the Nottingham course this year. I have done some online study before and it kind of suited me....however its a bit trying at times and I wasn't working full time when I did it. Still, the bachelor degree I studied really didn't have much to do with teaching. At least this course is 100% relevant to what I am doing here in Thailand. I am looking forward to it (albeit with some trepidation) AND hopefully finally getting this bl**dy teaching licence! When I do finish it I am guessing it should also open some doors as far as the kind of schools I can work at.....happy with my current school BUT and extra 20 k a month for a Mon - Fri gig wouldn't go astray.

• Like 1

The TCT will pretty soon announce its new regulations and from what I've heard will you have to have a degree from your country of origin.

A degree from the Philippines is as good as a degree from Thailand. Please correct me if I'm wrong. wai2.gif

I've also read this. Apparently it will be applied to balance the new ASEAN employment quota and comply with labor rules.

I've also read this. Apparently it will be applied to balance the new ASEAN employment quota and comply with labor rules.

Doesn't that also mean that they'd basically receive the same salary a Thai teacher starts with? Or what a teacher with a Filipino teachers' license is making back home?

• Like 1

Really?

But then ban and void all those degrees obtained by each and every foreigner here in Thailand, too!

Something really fishy is going on at the TCT. You met the folks who have fake degrees? Why can't the TCT have some panel to verify the basics?

• A day of testing. Let them do some academic writing
  • let them handle an academic discussion on a subject they had at the university (say it's an accounting degree, Black & Scholes on options or something easy like time value of money?
  • let them analyse some text - above the IELTS level.
  • let them handle some conversations. Yes, that's right. i swear I encountered "teachers" who couldn't even engage in small talk with an American who wasn't from Texas.

Some piece of paper + being a foreigner + a TOEIC score of 600 (or less, depending on kickbacks paid?) = voila, someone is a teacher.

Seems Thailand needs to figure out how to attract the right kind of NES and teachers.

Presently, it's mostly cost-driven. (Many schools recruiting Cameroonians etc. - National origin doesn't make someone a bad or good English speaker & teacher. Granted. But I'm referring to folks who clearly are not academically gifted and who couldn't write a lesson plan if you gave them 3 hours time).

EQUAL TREATMENT would be nice, wouldn't it? Some guys get it all, WP, waiver, change of status at Immigration being just 20 and never having been a day at a university. While a friend from the UK, a trial solicitor with incredible oral and other skills must keep fighting to get permission to teach).

The TCT needs to look at w h o the people are they are handing waivers to.

Rant over.

Onlycw, you forget one small thing though...... it is, as you said, cost-driven, thus proving that someone's degree is legitimate, needs to not incur any costs to the Thai Government.

Which is why they've brought in the requirement that foreign teachers must have their university send a letter verifying the degree, directly to Krusapa, at the teacher's expense (Which for me will range from 500THB - 3000 THB, depending on what specifically is required and the method of delivery).

Personally I don't think that they'll make any changes that void the legitimacy of degrees studied outside of a person's home country, and believe that this is just gossip (It was probably suggested, and explored as an option, but I can't imagine it being selected as an option due to the complications involved).

That would be the end of the Chulalongkorn and ABAC's Educational Programs.

The head of my school's personnel dept. went to the TCT a few months ago to find out the cheapest and quickest way for us to meet their requirements. She was told that NO Teaching Post Grad Diplomas from Thailand would be accepted! blink.png However, this was just word of mouth and the person at the next desk would probably say something different the next day.facepalm.gif

Onlycw, you forget one small thing though...... it is, as you said, cost-driven, thus proving that someone's degree is legitimate, needs to not incur any costs to the Thai Government.

Which is why they've brought in the requirement that foreign teachers must have their university send a letter verifying the degree, directly to Krusapa, at the teacher's expense (Which for me will range from 500THB - 3000 THB, depending on what specifically is required and the method of delivery).

Personally I don't think that they'll make any changes that void the legitimacy of degrees studied outside of a person's home country, and believe that this is just gossip (It was probably suggested, and explored as an option, but I can't imagine it being selected as an option due to the complications involved).

A teacher at my school has just been through this and it had to be delivered "unopened" to Krusapah... not direct from the uni.

I agree about the gossip

• 2 weeks later...