Pro-Junta Polls Only, Says Prayuth

Lite Beer

The next election will be for a "parliament" that is weighted in favour of the current regime. A quick look at the progress of the constitution will show you that.

It looks like it is going to guarantee a presence for the military and their allies regardless of votes.

Another issue may be the nature of the candidates allowed to stand.....some will be "banned" from politics etc etc

Most Thai people I know like the junta.

Gee, did you ever think maybe because its technically illegal for them to publicly say otherwise?

Gee. Did you think that maybe people say things to their friends that they wouldn't say in public.. Also a large majority of Thais are willing to give them a chance.. Rightly or wrongly.

Gee, did you ever think maybe because its technically illegal for them to publicly say otherwise?

Gee. Did you think that maybe people say things to their friends that they wouldn't say in public.. Also a large majority of Thais are willing to give them a chance.. Rightly or wrongly.

You mean the same friends, that practically could get you into trouble for not hanging up some certain ones picture in your home?

a) I wouldn't be surprised, if there was a certain underlying fear, that keeps people from speaking their mind nowadays, with LM- cases going through the roof and Martial law in place and

b ) I wonder, how many "average" Thais actually ever discussed politics among them, let alone with farang.

Edited by DM07
  • Like 1

Luckily there are some Thai citizens who are cognizant, and they fear what might come from the Junta. Also they are unhappy their vote was taken away..

Most Americans will tell you how proud they are of their country, but in truth only about 14% actually took part in the revolution.

Numbers can be deceiving and may not legitimate anything.

Are you so naive as to think that the illegality of certain viewpoints has no effect whatsoever on discourse between friends?

• Like 1

It seems that some people here on TVForum have the perception that Khaosod likes to publish a load of anti-NCPO lies.

I put it to you that the NCPO have got eyes on everything that Khaosod publishes (and the NCPO have people who read both Thai and English), and any falsehoods will be flagged and Khaosod would be forced to issue apologies and/or prosecuted.

The fact that these Khaosod "lies" have gone unpunished leads me to think that the stories are, in fact, not lies.

My perception is that Khaosod is anti-coup, but does not make up untrue articles.

The very fact that Khaosod still exists is, surely, living proof that there is still some freedom of speech in Thailand ??

The very fact that the Nation newspaper, sometimes puts up articles that don't cheer on the junta, is also proof that freedom of speech still exists in Thailand. No ??

And this ThaiVisa website. Lots of people come here, and make comments that are not cheering on the junta. ThaiVisa has not been shut down yet. It might be shut down later or soon, but it's still here. Is that proof that freedom of speech still exists in Thailand ??

Or, do people feel that freedom of speech has been kept and preserved, and it's because the junta has to make itself look good ?? Surely, everybody accepts that booting out the BBC (and other foreign groups) will harm Thailand's image ??

The Thai population isn't ready for democracy anyway, so i don't know what we are complaining about.

such a patronising attitude!

And the British population, is the British population ready for democracy ?? How many people in Britain feel that none of the big parties represent their views, and the don't like UKIP either ? Bearing in mind that democracy works far better back home than in Thailand, and when you consider how many people in Britain feel that democracy is not working, well, is Britain ready for a democratic vote ?? :)

As for polls, who is more unpopular ? Cameron in Britain or Thaksin in Thailand ?? :)

The Thai population isn't ready for democracy anyway, so i don't know what we are complaining about.

such a patronising attitude!

And the British population, is the British population ready for democracy ?? How many people in Britain feel that none of the big parties represent their views, and the don't like UKIP either ? Bearing in mind that democracy works far better back home than in Thailand, and when you consider how many people in Britain feel that democracy is not working, well, is Britain ready for a democratic vote ?? smile.png

As for polls, who is more unpopular ? Cameron in Britain or Thaksin in Thailand ?? smile.png

quite simple - just try posting anything you like about the UK authorities and see what happens.

there seems to be a lack of understanding amongst many members - it is nothing to do with "harmony" and everyone being swathed in "happiness" - it is abourt perpetually arguing and as near as possible getting people's wishes heard.

as Churchill said: -

"It has been said that Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that we have tried form time to time"

It seems that some people here on TVForum have the perception that Khaosod likes to publish a load of anti-NCPO lies.

I put it to you that the NCPO have got eyes on everything that Khaosod publishes (and the NCPO have people who read both Thai and English), and any falsehoods will be flagged and Khaosod would be forced to issue apologies and/or prosecuted.

The fact that these Khaosod "lies" have gone unpunished leads me to think that the stories are, in fact, not lies.

My perception is that Khaosod is anti-coup, but does not make up untrue articles.

The very fact that Khaosod still exists is, surely, living proof that there is still some freedom of speech in Thailand ??

The very fact that the Nation newspaper, sometimes puts up articles that don't cheer on the junta, is also proof that freedom of speech still exists in Thailand. No ??

And this ThaiVisa website. Lots of people come here, and make comments that are not cheering on the junta. ThaiVisa has not been shut down yet. It might be shut down later or soon, but it's still here. Is that proof that freedom of speech still exists in Thailand ??

Or, do people feel that freedom of speech has been kept and preserved, and it's because the junta has to make itself look good ?? Surely, everybody accepts that booting out the BBC (and other foreign groups) will harm Thailand's image ??

The "survival" of some criticism is by no means proof of freedom of speech - in fact TV operates a pretty draconian system itself on many aspects of Thai life. just look at the rubric they issued after the coup and they are desperate to toe the line.....They obviously are concerned about the survival of their business in times of restricted freedom of speech.

Any government that restricts freedom of speech does so to maintain their own public image. Consequently they also know that if they blatantly prosecute case after case it will eventually have an adverse effect - so essentially they are testing the water to see what they can get away with without incurring too much criticism at home and abroad.

Edited by cumgranosalum
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong with that statement and nothing like the Thai Sun's interpretation of it!!!

He is on a mission to create a better and fairer society by attacking corruption and those who commit it and he doesn't want anyone stopping him by sabotaging his work because it interferes with their operations.

He doesn't say that "any polls that show him and his team of missionaries in a bad light should be banned" or anything like this - he needn't have said this BTW as ALL of the polls are (unsurprisingly) positive to the extreme regarding what he is accomplishing!!!

He is on a mission to create a better and fairer society by attacking corruption and those who commit it and he doesn't want anyone stopping him by sabotaging his work because it interferes with their operations.

Thanks, that really made me chuckle. biggrin.png

What is there to chuckle about?

Would you not agree with me that Prayut has done more to promote the stamping out corruption than YS or TS. They seemed more intent on the actual promotion of corruption (and they were experts at it) - probably down to Thaksin using what he learnt from his 'criminology' doctorate to serially abuse the system for his own means!!

Lets see if you chuckle about that one.

To suggest that any political faction in Thailand is less susceptible to graft, nepotism and corruption than the others is so naive as to be risible.

Chuckle, it is laughable. Usurp power from a popularly elected government to save the country, just around the time they were tabling the idea of amnesty for Thaksin? Is the Junta going after corrupt individuals or is it setting up a frame work to make corruption more difficult or both ? And how are they going to do this and have clean and fair elections in 12 months time?

• Like 1

Freedom of speech hasn't been completely eliminated, just severely curtailed.

Try going to a university to organize a seminar on democracy, or go to Victory Monument in Bangkok and hold up a sign calling for elections, or describe the current government using the D-word here on Thai Visa. You'll find limits on freedom of speech that don't exist in free societies.

• Like 2