Foreign leaders ask President Joko Widodo to cancel death penalties

webfact

Foreign leaders ask Joko to cancel death penalties

25-2-2558-10-16-17-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Leaders of Brazil, France and the Netherlands on Tuesday called President Joko Widodo on the telephone, asking the Indonesian government to cancel the imminent execution of their citizens, The Jakarta Globe reported.

Joko said the leaders of those countries asked that their citizens be spared the firing squad.

United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon also appealed to Indonesia last Friday not to execute the prisoners on death row for drug crimes. Eight convicted inmates are due to face the firing squad after Joko rejected their clemency pleas in January.

The drug convicts on the death row include citizens from Australia, Brazil, France, Ghana, Indonesia, Nigeria, and the Philippines.

Joko said Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbot was not among those who called.

The Indonesian president last week stated that the government would proceed with the second round of executions and asked that other nations respect Indonesia’s sovereignty.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/foreign-leaders-ask-joko-cancel-death-penalties

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-25

Interesting article from the Guardian, executing foreigners at home telling governments to keep their noses out, while they bid for the lives of their own on death row in countries abroad,

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/16/bali-nine-indonesia-has-death-penalty-double-standard-says-brother-of-spared-maid

Edited by sungod
  • Like 2

Thian, Indonesia has sort & won clemency for over 200 of its citizens on death row in other countries. So obviously they don't agree with their people being executed, so why not give clemency to others in their countries. The 2 australians on death row have been rehabitated & have done a lot of good for the locals, they'd be more useful to Indonesia alive than dead; however, Widodo is not going to loose face over this.

• Like 2

Who do those country's think they are ? They have nothing to say in Indonesia.

Oh really ? then why is Jokowi begging for the the life of his numerous countrymen on death row in other countries ?

start using your brain before talking rubbish !

• Like 2

Who do those country's think they are ? They have nothing to say in Indonesia.

Oh really ? then why is Jokowi begging for the the life of his numerous countrymen on death row in other countries ?

start using your brain before talking rubbish !

Really? Where can I find evidence of this?

Indonesia has been working like ALL Governments to try and stop its Citizens being executed for crimes committed in other Countries - FACT.

Indonesia still has the death penalty for certain crimes in its country - as does USA (some States) and many other Countries - it is not a religious issue but it is more prevalent in Muslim countries.

All Countries had the death penalty in their past, but most have removed this provision - Indonesia is one of some yet to do so. The issue is to try and find a way to get Indonesia and others to also remove the death penalty - and threats and force will only make them dig in. It is not murder - it is extremely harsh law enforcement and it is wrong for many reasons.

Personally, I am against the death penalty for one reason only. Because the Courts make mistakes, and once someone is executed wrongly, it cant be 'taken back'. Life in gaol offers the opportunity for the innocent to have their sentence of guilt overturned. The innocent who are wrongly convicted are still alive and therefore so is hope.

And I would also like to ad that those currently on death row in Indonesia who sought to take drugs to Australia, have little/no sympathy from myself. The drugs that people like that bring into the West have destroyed countless lives and killed many young people. I would not be surprised to learn that most leaders in the West is pleased about the publicity, not just because it may save them, but because others will be less inclined to do the same if/when they are executed. I feel the same - hope they are not executed - but there is something good to come out of it if they are.

Every country is free to have it's own laws. Other country's have nothing at all to do with that.

The drug convicts on the death row include citizens from Australia, Brazil, France, Ghana, Indonesia, Nigeria, and the Philippines.

So tell me, what does a country like Holland have to do with this? The fact that everybody can buy/use drugs in Holland doesn't mean the rest of the world has to follow them.

Every country is free to have it's own laws. Other country's have nothing at all to do with that.

And every country is free to find another country's laws, and the inconsistent application of them, abhorrent, hypocritical and barbaric.

• Like 1

And every country is free to find another country's laws, and the inconsistent application of them, abhorrent, hypocritical and barbaric.

Yes Holland is free to think what it wants. That doesn't mean they have to call the president and tell they don't agree with it.

Singapore also uses the death penalty for drug traffickers, will Holland also call them when they hang one?

Holland has nothing to do with it, so who do they think they are?

Can Indonesia also call Holland and tell them to stop their free drugpolicy? Can i also call you if you punish your kid/dog for whatever it did? Or when you eat meat or drink to much alcohol??