Thorough Property Lawyer In Chiang Mai?

wisemonkey

Hi, I will be purchasing a condo soon in Chiang Mai so will be needing a property lawyer to deal with all the legal work and advise me on what actions I need to take, wondering if anyone can recommend a good reasonably priced property lawyer that is thorough and professional, as in they will go through and ensure there is a title search over the property, look at title deeds, etc. Any info much appreciated, cheers,

Alex

My lawyer is Dr. Khettai who used to be the Dean of Payap Law School. He is now just a professor at Payap University... being a Dean takes up too much time. Where is he? Soi 5 off of Nimm. Take a left and go very slow off Nimm. He is next door to a nail place. He puts up cones for me so I can park in the strip in front of his office. He has helped me with my property every year. Taxes and so forth. Perfect English. Juris Doctor from a British Law School.

• Like 1

You mentioned a pool. A pool is your responsibility. You have to test the water, show the Thai the test kit results and beg for more chlorine and soda ash. If you are not willing to buy a test kit and be on top of pool maintenance, then do not get a condo with a pool. Try to buy a new one. A "used" condo will have problems. Pay more rather than less. In that way you avoid drunken neighbors and loud noise.

Pools ? Dont know if that was mentioned at all, might have the wrong thread? Also your advise on buying new rather than used is rather ridiculous, There is little value in the new condos, established well run and well located condos is far more valueable than a new condo poor location, etc, anyway I digress, just wanting a lawyer to help with a rather simple transaction.

Bump: Just wanting some recommendations from people who have bought condos using a lawyer, should be a very easy transaction, seller is a foreigner so its in the foreign quota, basically just needing them to do title deed search to ensure nothing owing on the property, go over the contract, etc.

Bump: Just wanting some recommendations from people who have bought condos using a lawyer, should be a very easy transaction, seller is a foreigner so its in the foreign quota, basically just needing them to do title deed search to ensure nothing owing on the property, go over the contract, etc.

Have you tried Sumalee Jennapa at 29tanin.com? Based on previous recommendations here, that was going to be my first stop for similar business. In my case, that particular deal fell through before I got to the point of contacting the Ms. however.

• Like 1

I am no lawyer, but I would suggest renting and not buying. Given the risks due to things like lack of zoning and usage laws, lack of control over the building's owners (you only own inside the unit) why oh why would you want to buy?

Its better than having money just sitting in the bank, whos value is being eroded daily with world leaders quantitative easing measures. I would rather have a solid roof over my head, and a place that my family could go if shit hit the fan, rather than having some digital numbers on a screen whos value is declining daily. Thats my reasoning.

Its better than having money just sitting in the bank, whos value is being eroded daily with world leaders quantitative easing measures. I would rather have a solid roof over my head, and a place that my family could go if shit hit the fan, rather than having some digital numbers on a screen whos value is declining daily. Thats my reasoning.

Nice to have a roof but there is no guaranty that the value of your purchase will have more value than money in the bank. In spite of what people generally think, property prices do go down. Ask a 1990's Japanese commercial property owner or a 2007 US home buyer.

Hey Dante, very aware of the property cycles, especially in countries laden with debt. However I am not really looking at it as an investment, more of a safety net as a place I can live, a base in life, not thinking monetary at all, just want to know that no matter what happens in life always got a place for me and my fam. Its more important to have a good life and enjoy this experience of being alive in a human body than worrying about collecting money (which I am guilty of being the later for a good portion of my time) but as you grow you realise the important things. Also with the trillions of dollars the central banks of the world are printing, the inevitable inflation that is around the corner I would rather have something solid, bricks and mortar. Anyway everyone is different and sees things differently with different values and priorities, we arent all on the same page, makes life fun!

• Like 1