New traffic law to empower Thai police to suspend car use

webfact

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

PS - Come to Chiang Mai you 'pussys' in BKK who are complaining about scooters delaying you getting to your next Latte/Chardonnay. Being tailgated or overtaken in the bike-lane by a big 4WD/UTE doing 120+km on a local road (not a highway) - NOW THAT'S A KNIFE !!! whistling.gif

Fearless, proud and stupid..

Have you considered enlisting in the military?

You are the kind of guy they want in uniform!wai2.gif

I feel so sorry for these poor motorcycle guys bearing the brunt of all school fees for any Thai cop the are unlucky to meet.. While dangerous hooligan car drivers scream past without a care gobbling down one more redbull a handful of amphetamins and another bottle of sangsom... We know bikes are an easy target.. we know bikes are for the poor.. why not crack a different egg? Just for one day..

To do this would they need to computerize the whole system?

So when they stop someone they can run the plate through their system and see if they have any unpaid fines, or they are being caught for a repeat offence?

They already do this in Pattaya. If you have an unpaid ticket, it will show up when they run your plate. Just like the U.S. If you have a ticket, just pay it.

I just give up! Another dictum, total waste of time and by people who clearly have no idea how to approach these problems - it is fairly obvious that if enforced by the police and not a legal authority the whole system - such as it is - would be up for corrupt practices - there are no checks for this are there???

and what do they mean by - "to suspend the use of a vehicle" - total gobbledygook

I feel so sorry for these poor motorcycle guys bearing the brunt of all school fees for any Thai cop the are unlucky to meet.. While dangerous hooligan car drivers scream past without a care gobbling down one more redbull a handful of amphetamins and another bottle of sangsom... We know bikes are an easy target.. we know bikes are for the poor.. why not crack a different egg? Just for one day..

What is the fatality rate for motorbikes here~ 75% of all road deaths? Surely they all weren't run down by car drivers. Only have to wait a month and a bit for the latest culling to occur when all those non drinking or on drugs, helmet wearing law abiding bikers set themselves up for the holiday slaughter...

That sounds good.

But please do it, not only talk about it.......as usual.

I think that the civilized worl has been doing that for fifty years! computers can keep an eye on the offenders. BUT giving the Thai police authority to impound vehicles for unstated traffic offenses souinds like a scam! the only reasons that vehicles should be impounded is "drunk driving, serious accidents where someone is killed or injured, driving without a license, driving on the WRONG side of the road!

What is the fatality rate for motorbikes here~ 75% of all road deaths? Surely they all weren't run down by car drivers. Only have to wait a month and a bit for the latest culling to occur when all those non drinking or on drugs, helmet wearing law abiding bikers set themselves up for the holiday slaughter...

To be honest I think most are killed by cars.. though a large portion of those is responsible themselves as they don't wear a helmet and act crazy. Then again lots of car drivers are just as irresponsible as those bikers. As a biker i see a lot more of traffic as the average car driver. Unlike a car driver a biker does progress more through traffic (takes half or less the time as with a car). Some car drivers drive like total idiots. They drive their car as if it were a bike.. zig zagging through traffic, its dangerous on a bike.. but crazy in a car. Not that I have a problem with weaving through traffic on a responsible way, but some bikers just don't plan ahead and only react instead of anticipate.

But OT if they really want to make a difference (they don't as going over an overpass does not rate as adding to the death rate) they should just do something about red light jumpers (cars and bikes) Many smarter bikers and cars wait a bit before crossing a green light angering others that they hold up traffic. But the only reason they do that is because of all the red light jumpers. Those should be caught.. but that would mean some real work for the BIB.. and that is something they hate.

• Like 1

"they don't as going over an overpass does not rate as adding to the death rate)" - yes it does! Of course it does!

There is a tendency also for posters to look at ONE SINGLE stat - and even more so just a PART of that stat (e.g. road deaths per 100K for motorcyclists - and make the most ridiculous and illogical and unsubstantiated conclusions.

te whole picture is far more complex than that.

When in comes to enforcing any of this it is of course pretty much a hit or miss affair anyway - the roads and markings in Thailand are way too inadequate to eve agree which regulations are in force on any strip of roads have ill-defined edges and poor markings - add to this the appalling judgement of the average law enforcer and you can see it just won't work - it will descend into a round of "car-nappings" and paying money to get them back.

.......and "Terrific" is just not on the table

Provided that sanctions are applied to motorists who break the law I would say that anything the police need they should have.

Motorcycles take it in the butt because they are a nuisance and don't know the rules, they don't consider themselves to be 'road traffic' subject to the 'Road Traffic Laws" in fact most drivers in Thailand fall into this category whatever the vehicle, probably because they are mentally still riding a bike! The police believe that sanctions for breaking the law is the only way to educate drivers, there are better ways and the driving test attests to that.

'Take riding over flyovers': the lanes are separated by solid lines meaning that overtaking is not allowed. I frequently use the one on Phaholyothin, which goes over Agri University intersection and Sana intersection. There is no speed limit posted, there is no road sign forbidding motorcycles and samlo; there probably were initially. I drive as fast as other traffic in my lane but no more than 80, often vehicles are slower when I can't overtake, often faster when I am wrongly overtaken. Whatever the situation, compared to the gridlock below the flyover is always faster so one should be satisfied, drivers can't seem to get this into their thick heads. Motorcycle riders are probably banned because the nature of their vehicle makes them think that they are not 'road traffic'.

I notice more 'Big Bikes' on the roads nowadays, they are often driven as projectiles far in excess of the traffic speed, weaving in and out of the traffic in an intimidating manner, their attitude to driving should certainly mean that they are banned from flyovers.

I would like to see it go further stoped at check point

No driving licence car impounded

No insurance car impounded

Not road worthy car impounded

car or motorbike only returned when all legal requirements are met.

They would need a bloody big impound yard.

You must be joking. Even if they suspend the cars plaque or do all that you say! What difference would it make. Most checkpoints that catch you without your yearly sticker or without a license or insurance will just add bribe money to let them release you back on the road again... First they need to get real cops on the road who are not doing their job to make a fast buck. Then maybe laws can be made that will be enforced

If they were to pay law enforcement enough. that taking bribes is not worth the risk of losing the job and not necessary for the officers to support their families, they could build a good police force.

The root of the corruption is the low pay.

Money generated from impounding the vehicles of traffic offenders could be used to increase pay.

This would also motivate the officers to enforce the laws.

If this was primary school level "road safety and law" - you'd fail.

Provided that sanctions are applied to motorists who break the law I would say that anything the police need they should have.

Motorcycles take it in the butt because they are a nuisance and don't know the rules, they don't consider themselves to be 'road traffic' subject to the 'Road Traffic Laws" in fact most drivers in Thailand fall into this category whatever the vehicle, probably because they are mentally still riding a bike! The police believe that sanctions for breaking the law is the only way to educate drivers, there are better ways and the driving test attests to that.

'Take riding over flyovers': the lanes are separated by solid lines meaning that overtaking is not allowed. I frequently use the one on Phaholyothin, which goes over Agri University intersection and Sana intersection. There is no speed limit posted, there is no road sign forbidding motorcycles and samlo; there probably were initially. I drive as fast as other traffic in my lane but no more than 80, often vehicles are slower when I can't overtake, often faster when I am wrongly overtaken. Whatever the situation, compared to the gridlock below the flyover is always faster so one should be satisfied, drivers can't seem to get this into their thick heads. Motorcycle riders are probably banned because the nature of their vehicle makes them think that they are not 'road traffic'.

I notice more 'Big Bikes' on the roads nowadays, they are often driven as projectiles far in excess of the traffic speed, weaving in and out of the traffic in an intimidating manner, their attitude to driving should certainly mean that they are banned from flyovers.

"Provided that sanctions are applied to motorists who break the law I would say that anything the police need they should have." - that's a joke, right?

They should issue tickets for NO Parking, Speeding, Burnt Out Lights etc, but the Cops should not pocket the MONEY!!!!!! The money should be sent to an office of...... if not paid within 30 days then they could loose their licence, just like in the USA. They wouldn't loose it but they would have to pay more after and a added fine for not paying or having it repaired......

• Like 1

They should issue tickets for NO Parking, Speeding, Burnt Out Lights etc, but the Cops should not pocket the MONEY!!!!!! The money should be sent to an office of...... if not paid within 30 days then they could loose their licence, just like in the USA. They wouldn't loose it but they would have to pay more after and a added fine for not paying or having it repaired......

I totally agree with this idea, as I said above.

BUT of course in Thailand this is a non-starter as the role of the police is not clearly defined as in democracies and there is no precedent for such a system.

As with all the problems facing both road safety and the very system of government in the country, it requires a ground-up rethink. So long as the country is ruled by top-down dictums very little can be achieved.

also to enforce these "minor" road infringements you need to completely re-design the roads themselves.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Why would giving the police power to sanction offenders more effectively be a joke. If you break the law there are sanctions, I would only disagree with a system where you are sanctioned when you have not broken the law.

so what if "the law is an ass"?

Then break it and when you get caught and fined you can whine about the perceived "nanny state" (my favourite) here on TV - easy, isn´t it?

• Like 2

Why would giving the police power to sanction offenders more effectively be a joke. If you break the law there are sanctions, I would only disagree with a system where you are sanctioned when you have not broken the law.

Giving the police more power - in this case quite inappropriate power - is tantamount to hiring Beverly Allitt as a baby-sitter.

Anyone using a motorbike in or around Bangkok is stopped on a regular basis, sometimes 4 times a day. The police have money spots, flyovers are one of them. There are 3 outcomes, 1) allowed to go on one's way, 2) pay and go, 3) receive a ticket.

The police will often steer the rider to the police's preferable outcome on that day. e.g. If the stop is focussed on drugs, they will simply check the licence, gauge for drugs and then finish the check if they think there are no drugs.

If they have been ordered to collect cash, they will aim for option 2.

If they go for option 3, riders are given 7 days to pay. This effectively means they are free to break all traffic laws for the next 7 days using the ticket as the magic card to ward off all further fines.

I am guessing but in this rather vague proposal, I think the police will use the fact that a driver or rider is still producing a ticket instead of a licence as the trigger for suspension of vehicle use.

I also believe there is no way the police could enforce this with the current level of integration and information technology between the Land Transport Dept. and individual police stations.

Does anyone remember the points system for driving licences that was introduced a few years ago. That was also just a load of hot air.

Personally I don't mind a ticket.. I just mind the hassle of finding a police station and paying it. I drive on the right (left lane is too dangerous and my bike goes fast enough to be on the left). I know I am wrong and if caught I pay up without problems. I think its outdated especially for a 650cc bike. The problem is that sometimes you have to pay the fine at a police station and you have no idea where it is. I prefer to pay the fine on the spot (even the full fine no need to bribe them) but unfortunately that is not always possible.

I heard somewhere you could pay fines at the post office.. not sure about the truth of the matter.

From the OP: Payment of the tickets could be made at convenient store or other channels

"He said at present there are 400-500 hot spots in Bangkok where motorists regularly break traffic rules including riding motorbike crossing flyovers which is not allowed, and parking at restricted areas.'

That's right, deal with the important offenses, never mind the speeders, red light jumpers or sidewalk riders. Up here in Pathum Thani, a cop is a rare sight unless they are grouping to catch helmet-less mo'cy riders in a tunnel or under a bridge.

Get more boots on the ground khun Prawuti. You will be thanked.

I seriously get anoyed with those flyovers where motorbikes are not allowed. Its a pain in the ass for no real reason at all.

Near where I live you can take the flyover one way.. but not the way back.. crazy. Its not motorbikes that hold up traffic.. it never is. Just an outdated law same as the law that tells motorbikes to stay on the left (deathlane). I can understand it for those meals on wheels motorbikes.. but regular ones.. and big ones like me that go much faster as cars.

Let them go after red light jumpers.. but that is too much work for them. I think anyone agrees red light jumpers are a risk.. but you NEVER see them go after that. They go after easy cash.

I agree, all they need to do is limit the over passes and freeways to bikes over a certain capacity. The problem is to them a Mo Cy is a Mo Cy, there is no difference.

500cc and up should be allowed on toll roads and expressways also since there aren't many bikes that size.

• Like 1

"He said at present there are 400-500 hot spots in Bangkok where motorists regularly break traffic rules including riding motorbike crossing flyovers which is not allowed, and parking at restricted areas.'

That's right, deal with the important offenses, never mind the speeders, red light jumpers or sidewalk riders. Up here in Pathum Thani, a cop is a rare sight unless they are grouping to catch helmet-less mo'cy riders in a tunnel or under a bridge.

I seriously get anoyed with those flyovers where motorbikes are not allowed. Its a pain in the ass for no real reason at all.

Near where I live you can take the flyover one way.. but not the way back.. crazy. Its not motorbikes that hold up traffic.. it never is. Just an outdated law same as the law that tells motorbikes to stay on the left (deathlane). I can understand it for those meals on wheels motorbikes.. but regular ones.. and big ones like me that go much faster as cars.

Let them go after red light jumpers.. but that is too much work for them. I think anyone agrees red light jumpers are a risk.. but you NEVER see them go after that. They go after easy cash.

I agree, all they need to do is limit the over passes and freeways to bikes over a certain capacity. The problem is to them a Mo Cy is a Mo Cy, there is no difference.

500cc and up should be allowed on toll roads and expressways also since there aren't many bikes that size.

I can keep dreaming about this.. but it will never happen. I don't even care about the express way. I care about flyovers and the crazy stay on the left lane rule. Its not that I have been caught often. (almost never) but its annoying.

so what if "the law is an ass"?
Have you any idea what that quote means?

We are discussing laws not the law. Do you mean that you should ignore rules which don't suit you? Most laws fall into that catagory for us all, especially in Thailand, but they are still there, and we have to deal with that.

• Like 1

I can keep dreaming about this.. but it will never happen. I don't even care about the express way. I care about flyovers and the crazy stay on the left lane rule. Its not that I have been caught often. (almost never) but its annoying.

It simply CAN"T happen - there is no infrastructure to cope with it.......when was the last time you saw a TRAFFIC WARDEN in BKK??

You can't make an arbitrary decision on size! The problem is how they share the roads here, most motorcycles hug the side or even use the shoulder asa bike lane - this means that on most flyovers in BKK there simply isn't enough width.

Larger bikes can keep up - much smaller than 500cc - but again the nature of how they mingle means that unless they take up the same space as a car they are endangering themselves and other road users. So....back to basics - you can't just hand out a dictum with no groundwork first.

You can't make an arbitrary decision on size! The problem is how they share the roads here, most motorcycles hug the side or even use the shoulder asa bike lane - this means that on most flyovers in BKK there simply isn't enough width.

Larger bikes can keep up - much smaller than 500cc - but again the nature of how they mingle means that unless they take up the same space as a car they are endangering themselves and other road users. So....back to basics - you can't just hand out a dictum with no groundwork first.

I don't agree.. never any problem on flyovers at all. Its more that they want to make it hard on bikes nothing else. Its money maker for the cops. As i said flyover near ngam wong wan.. you can go one way but not the other (same bridge and so its identical). Besides if they take up the same space as a car there is still no problem. They could have 4 bikes for one car.

I don't agree.. never any problem on flyovers at all. Its more that they want to make it hard on bikes nothing else. Its money maker for the cops. As i said flyover near ngam wong wan.. you can go one way but not the other (same bridge and so its identical). Besides if they take up the same space as a car there is still no problem. They could have 4 bikes for one car.

"Besides if they take up the same space as a car there is still no problem" - just as I said, but that is not how bikes are ridden in Thailand especially in the cities - by-laws or whatever reflect that. As I aLASO SIAD IT NEEDS A GROUND UP RE-THINK - THERE IS NO CHANCE THAT THESE TOP-DOWN DICTUMS WILL WORK. - sorry about the caps - but can't be arsed to edit....