Buying a bar in Hua Hin

IsacHunt

Ahh come on guys, cut Bob some slack. Maybe 15,000 pounds is just a drop in the bucket to him. If he closes his ATM there, it'll be a cheap roll in the hay by western standards.

Or maybe he's onto a fairy tale (or is that tail) romance. Only time will tell.

We know nothing about Bob. We know nothing about that business. We know nothing about Bob's background. Hearsay and speculation. Why are posters so "concerned" about Bob's anticipated loss? Maybe, £15000 is peanuts for him.

This type of concern can be experienced in many ways. Just tell your buddies that you want to spend 4 million Baht on a decent middle class car from Mercedes, Audi or BMW. They might get concerned that you are wasting money. They might suggest to buy some Thai assembled Japanese pickup truck. They will explain why they made their own smart decisions and how much they saved. They just want to help.

In your own eyes, a 4m model could be a modest choice. In your home country and in your home circles nobody cares. In the expat community, a melting pot of all social classes, people get "concerned".

Leave this Bob alone! Mind your own business, if you've got one.

---------

maybe read the previous posts first before you comment, it was mentioned the 15k was an important psrt of his life savings. And yes I have my own business.

Well he soon will be joining other foreigners on the streets of Bangkok begging for money. Besides what is wrong with 30 baht Thai food ? Guess you don,t get out much and eat at Burger King every day.

Jealous of Bob ? And the thousands of other alcoholics sitting in foreigner bars throughout Thailand day after day in a non stop stupid daze. What are you drinking ? Must be rocket fuel.

Lot of jealous people on this thread. Lucky Bob. He can drink himself to death for free, others have to pay for the privilege.

If people weren't jealous of Bob having the $$ to piss away they wouldn't be posting so viciously, at least ole Bob isn't trying to scratch enough money together for his next order of 30 baht street food.

Some guys come to Thailand not because they can't afford their home country but because they want to try something different. Some guys have serious money backing them up.

Jealous?? Yeah me thinks many are...........

It's a good 2 hr. drive to nearest Burger King, wife is a great cook. You'll have to try a different one..............

Well he soon will be joining other foreigners on the streets of Bangkok begging for money. Besides what is wrong with 30 baht Thai food ? Guess you don,t get out much and eat at Burger King every day.

Jealous of Bob ? And the thousands of other alcoholics sitting in foreigner bars throughout Thailand day after day in a non stop stupid daze. What are you drinking ? Must be rocket fuel.

Lot of jealous people on this thread. Lucky Bob. He can drink himself to death for free, others have to pay for the privilege.

If people weren't jealous of Bob having the $$ to piss away they wouldn't be posting so viciously, at least ole Bob isn't trying to scratch enough money together for his next order of 30 baht street food.

Some guys come to Thailand not because they can't afford their home country but because they want to try something different. Some guys have serious money backing them up.

Jealous?? Yeah me thinks many are...........

It's a good 2 hr. drive to nearest Burger King, wife is a great cook. You'll have to try a different one..............

We know nothing about Bob. We know nothing about that business. We know nothing about Bob's background. Hearsay and speculation. Why are posters so "concerned" about Bob's anticipated loss? Maybe, £15000 is peanuts for him.

This type of concern can be experienced in many ways. Just tell your buddies that you want to spend 4 million Baht on a decent middle class car from Mercedes, Audi or BMW. They might get concerned that you are wasting money. They might suggest to buy some Thai assembled Japanese pickup truck. They will explain why they made their own smart decisions and how much they saved. They just want to help.

In your own eyes, a 4m model could be a modest choice. In your home country and in your home circles nobody cares. In the expat community, a melting pot of all social classes, people get "concerned".

Leave this Bob alone! Mind your own business, if you've got one.

---------

maybe read the previous posts first before you comment, it was mentioned the 15k was an important psrt of his life savings. And yes I have my own business.

If it truely is important then Sum num na Bob

Bob's Bar. Has a certain ring to it.

Might turn out to be a good thing. Hua Hin Is busy.

When I was there with wife and eldest daughter with 2 g/children in Sept . there were mostly bars with very few in , some had closed. In 2004 it was the opposite , all bars had customers. Maybe since Sept. it has picked up. As for a ferlung buying a bar girl a bar ! " There is none so blind as them what don't listen " Del Boy Only fools and horses.

I have had some excellent meals for 30 baht or even less. But of course far from a foreigner restaurant that serves total crap Thai food that no Thai would touch where prices range from 120 to 170 baht. When i look at the English menus i just laugh walk across the street and pay 30 baht for much better quality and larger portions. Besides i get a smile not the common scowl from Thais that have to deal with obnoxious foreigners all day. Bob might be picking food off the streets soon. Sorry i have no pity for him.

I rather enjoy the odd 30 baht meal.

Edited by Jungle Jim

It may not all be bad. I bought a bar here in Jomptien for my girl. It has been open six months now and runs well and makes a profit which we share. I guess the initial investment which I made will be returned if we ever sell, which we dont want to do at present.

Mind you, I have been with my girl for over three years and we have done lots of other things like condo renovation etc.

So, give Bob a chance, he may not be as stupid as he is being made out to be. Anyway, is 15k really such a huge investment? We have no details about the bar, its turnover etc. I guess bars in HH can charge good prices for their beer. It is the rent which is the critical part and any key money demanded.

• Like 1

Again, despite all this negative "anti bar girl" talk" this may not be doomed to failure.

If she has worked in a bar before it could become a roaring success.

If you wanna help as a "mate" get dowm there & give them a hand.

The soothsayers will always give the negatives, but not always right

Proof, many successful bar operations in Hua Hin & other places

Whether a bar makes money or not is the key. A friend of mine bought a bistro (goodwill) and is paying rent. Three staff. Good location with ample car parking, little direct competition, close to a Rimping supermarket and Wine Collection in CM.

Food is excellent at reasonable prices, the owner is chatty, the staff polite, and the ambience is good. But few customers. There is no rhyme or reason why it wouldn't be successful.

Maybe it's the luck of the draw. Best wishes, Bob and Lek.

Whether a bar makes money or not is the key. A friend of mine bought a bistro (goodwill) and is paying rent. Three staff. Good location with ample car parking, little direct competition, close to a Rimping supermarket and Wine Collection in CM.

Food is excellent at reasonable prices, the owner is chatty, the staff polite, and the ambience is good. But few customers. There is no rhyme or reason why it wouldn't be successful.

You sir are a woodduck.

Making money IN ANY BUSINESS is the name of the game.

So your friend ( you mean you ) bought a business it has few customers and you say its going to be successful. Yeah right. Luck has got nothing to do with it. This business is gonna go straight down the shitter and take you and the rent with it. . Quack quack.

• Like 1

Hope he has set aside a few ' bob' for stock and all the other incidentals ...e.g. Police protection ..

Love to know what Bob did for a living ..might have been in the booze business but there is more chance of having an immediate Thai election that Bob knowing how to run a bar ...

Well done Lek mark that one up ..

In addition, I would like to say that someone who drags my private affairs into the dubious public of TV, will no longer be my friend, regardless how "concerned" he might be.

Says the poster who clicked on and read the OPs story.....ironic.

-----

I only know 3 reasons for using the word "ironic" sensibly, but none of them fits in this case.

There is no irony in clicking on a subject promising to unveil a business opportunity.

There is no irony in reading the posts first before uttering an opinion. Of course, one could argue not to feed a troll post and not to respond to silly comments. I am guilty of that.

-----

In every single case i have seen a foreigner get involved with a bar girl and a bar or restaurant before very long the foreigner is flat broke. IN EVERY CASE ! No different than being dumb enough to marry a Thai hooker or massage girl. 99.999 % it is a total disaster .

You sir are a woodduck.

So your friend ( you mean you ) bought a business it has few customers and you say its going to be successful. Yeah right. Luck has got nothing to do with it. This business is gonna go straight down the shitter and take you and the rent with it. . Quack quack.

• Like 1

Ahh come on guys, cut Bob some slack. Maybe 15,000 pounds is just a drop in the bucket to him. If he closes his ATM there, it'll be a cheap roll in the hay by western standards.

Or maybe he's onto a fairy tale (or is that tail) romance. Only time will tell.

Nonsense, Bob could have a "roll in the hay" for 500 baht, not 750,000 baht. Wise up

• Like 2

Just thinking out loud here - "Why can't he get a USAFRUCT on the Bar from her - he bought it in her name, with that document she basically leases it to him for thirty years and can't sell?? Or am I climbing the wrong ladder...........I know anything can be voided in court by someone that has the means and the desire.............but with a Usafruct document in his hand, he may be able to stop a sale long enough she will tire of the situation and just di di mau??thumbsup.gif

In every single case i have seen a foreigner get involved with a bar girl and a bar or restaurant before very long the foreigner is flat broke. IN EVERY CASE ! No different than being dumb enough to marry a Thai hooker or massage girl. 99.999 % it is a total disaster .

You sir are a woodduck.

should get yourself a better class of friends then Jim

• Like 2

You sir are a woodduck.

should get yourself a better class of friends then Jim

Jim is speaking from his personal experience no doubt.

Explains hos Limited posts due to him only being able to get free wifi when the local coffee shop is open.

You guys are all wrongagain. If Bob can manage the cash coming in he can become a wealthy man. I bought a bar for 700,000 bahts in Chiang Mai. First month profit 89,000. After 5 months and it was still low season were making 150,000 bahts profit per month. Bars can be huge profit making business.

A neighbor bar is owned by a friend. He paid 500,000 for his bar and would not sell it for anything less than 2,500,000 bahts. The problem few people have that kind of money.

All you need is 7000/night. I found we made 50% profit. That becomes 3500/night. That comes out to about 1.2 m bahts a year. Payback was only a few months. And let me add, in a good night you can sell 20,000. The profits are huge.

There is no reason to sell the bar if it is any good.

Bob---go every night and take the money. You can become rich if the bar does even a small amount of business. Most farangs are ignorant of the real Thai scene.

Exactly.

Everyone's quick to say it's a stupid idea but if Bob has a business mind he can do well.

"I bought a bar for 700,000 bahts in Chiang Mai. First month profit 89,000"

Wrong. You got swindled by a bar girl, because you're bad at math.

In order to make a PROFIT of 89000/month, you need an AVERAGE profit of 2966/day, open 7 days a week.

After expenses, most businesses only make 10% to 20% of GROSS income.

So, in order to make an AVERAGE profit of 2966/day, you will need an AVERAGE of 14833 - 29660/day.

Let's say your drinks vary in cost from 50 to 150, with the AVERAGE drink price of 100 baht/drink.

That means you need to sell an AVERAGE of 148 to 296 drinks EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE MONTH.

Right, 555

• Like 1

In order to make a PROFIT of 89000/month, you need an AVERAGE profit of 2966/day, open 7 days a week.

So, in order to make an AVERAGE profit of 2966/day, you will need an AVERAGE of 14833 - 29660/day.

Let's say your drinks vary in cost from 50 to 150, with the AVERAGE drink price of 100 baht/drink.

That means you need to sell an AVERAGE of 148 to 296 drinks EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE MONTH.

Right, 555

Your GP numbers need some work. Selling a Heineken for 120 baht that he paid 30 baht for is 300% GP. A water that he paid 7baht for that he sells for 50baht is around 600% GP. I have no idea on these numbers by the way. They are a rough guess.

That affects how many drinks and ultimately how many punters he needs to make the numbers.

Having said that there are only a handful of girly bars that might do those sorts of number in CM consistently and that is due to good management and quality girls working hard to bring in the customers.

I'm sure Ebean knows that he is surrounded by a lot of lazy, badly managed bars with sloths for staff making almost nothing.

Right, 555

Your GP numbers need some work. Selling a Heineken for 120 baht that he paid 30 baht for is 300% GP. A water that he paid 7baht for that he sells for 50baht is around 600% GP. I have no idea on these numbers by the way. They are a rough guess.

That affects how many drinks and ultimately how many punters he needs to make the numbers.

Having said that there are only a handful of girly bars that might do those sorts of number in CM consistently and that is due to good management and quality girls working hard to bring in the customers.

I'm sure Ebean knows that he is surrounded by a lot of lazy, badly managed bars with sloths for staff making almost nothing.

GM can never be more than 100%. In case of the Heineken GM is 75%. Revenue minus COGS ( cost of goods sold) devided by revenue x 100.

In addition, I would like to say that someone who drags my private affairs into the dubious public of TV, will no longer be my friend, regardless how "concerned" he might be.

Says the poster who clicked on and read the OPs story.....ironic.
-----

I only know 3 reasons for using the word "ironic" sensibly, but none of them fits in this case.

There is no irony in clicking on a subject promising to unveil a business opportunity.

There is no irony in reading the posts first before uttering an opinion. Of course, one could argue not to feed a troll post and not to respond to silly comments. I am guilty of that.

-----

I'm not a troll, and you clearly don't understand what irony means.

What business opportunity did you think you were clicking on IN THAI VISA FORUMS. You want a website for business opportunities go on start up websites.

As for your opinion, I can only assume friendship to you means people watching each other fall without offering advice before or expression after. Granted TVF is not somewhere I'd ask for advice however if the OP was desperate for a second, third etc opinion then its his choice, it's not as though he gave much about "Bob" away like his life history and national insurance number is it?

Seems to me you're the troll. A very lonely one at that.

• Like 1

Right, 555

GM can never be more than 100%. In case of the Heineken GM is 75%. Revenue minus COGS ( cost of goods sold) devided by revenue x 100.

You are correct of course.

...but you know what I was going.