Buying a bar in Hua Hin

IsacHunt

A good friend of mine 'Bob' came to Thailand at Christmas to retire. I met up with Bob and some other friends in Pattaya & Hua Hin after new year. When we were in Hua Hin around mid January Bob met a bar girl 'Lek'. They got on great, so much so that when we headed off to Pattaya Bob brought Lek along with him. After a few days in Pattaya I decided to go back to Isaan. Bob said he was going to return Lek back to her bar and do a some traveling around Asia, Laos, Vietnam etc.

Fast forward to last night. I get a call from Bob telling me he has bought a bar in Hua Hin for £15,000. He goes to tell me that the bar is in Leks name and that he has had a contract made by a lawyer to say she cant sell the bar without his consent. I was half asleep when he told me this so it has only sank in this morning. To me this sounds like madness and im worried about the situation Bobs got into (buying a bar in a girls name who has known for 6-7 weeks!)

So can anyone give me a bit of advice on this. What can Bob do to protect his investment? Does he have any legal rights? I want to give Bob a call and give some advice but I don't have a clue about a farangs rights when it comes to bar ownership.

Im very concerned about a good friend so appreciate any help on this, thanks.

A little bit more info on the situation. At the moment Bob has only put a deposit down on the bar. Im not sure what contracts have been signed but hes due to take over the bar end of March.

Edited by Maestro
Fixed tags.

A little bit more info on the situation. At the moment Bob has only put a deposit down on the bar. Im not sure what contracts have been signed but hes due to take over the bar end of March.

Claffey nailed it - Costas is correct too. At this point there is nothing you can do except smile sweetly and wait for the axe to fall. Oh - and point him the direction of this forum.

• Like 1

facepalm.gif

Have you seen the bars in Hua Hin they are all empty and have been for years. Walk away now before the amount mounts up.

How many of her friends are on the pay roll that he now has to fund ?

I take it he hasn't registered his bar as a company yet or will ?

Walk away now. Sorry run away now.

If I'm right what has he actually bought ?

From the brief call we had I know hes put down a 200k baht deposit and got some contract to say she cant sell the bar. He did say it was in her name so I have no idea what paperwork has been signed etc. I have no clue about how the process works

Takes all kinds.

A friend of mine on his very first trip to Thailand, was dropped off at the Chao Phraya Massage by a scamming taxi driver, just hours after his arrival.

Ended up marrying that girl.

Yep. Met his future Thai bride at a Bangkok massage parlour 6 hours after touchdown.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

And are they still together?

The problem is that those seeking advice only listen to that they wish to hear.

Looks like our Bob is going to lose a few bob.

I recommend the chappy below as his new financial adviser.

Consultant visiting times by appointment only and in a totally secure environment.

However when dealing with an expert one is never sure if the expert is an expert or an incurable romantic.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7FCmzjaN5g96vuKTBaajqSYRgFCu8H5DYmdCpfkjLU8Y3FzMH3g

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 2

I don't know about the bar business and I certainly wouldn't be buying one, but is there any reason why Bob can't have the bar in his name instead of Lek's? If Lek really likes K Bob, she certainly wouldn't mind transferring her "new" bar to his name since he's the one paying. If not, walk away from the 200K and consider this a lesson learned.

• Like 1

I did some investigating on this bar ownership.

The bar is quiet ...you lose

The bar is busy...here we go some Ting Tong make up list of expenses ....you lose

OP is hoping to make money and get points on the side for being such a kind heart.

And a dumbass.

The real winner will be the land lord...releasing fees, renaming rights, key money and just keep selling the same bar over and over to stupid falang.

• Like 1