Discount Phones at Tesco Lotus Often Faulty

Water Buffalo

Hello all,

I would like to share my experiences with buying phones which are on sale at Tesco Lotus.

A few months ago, i bought a Lenovo at discount price, after a few days it starts heating up and after a month i can't call anyone. I couldn't return it cos it was after 7 days.

Then, a few days ago, thinking that lightening wouldn't strike twice, i buy a discounted imobile. This morning, it spontaneously heats up like before (really really hot) and then goes back to normal. I am thinking of returning it before the 7 day "warranty" runs out.

Has anyone else had such problems?

It seems to me that, when they discover a faulty batch, they put it on sale and reduce the warranty period to 7 days, just to get rid of them without the likelihood that you will return it.

Thank you for your contribution,

Firstly, i am not sure its the Thai way to purchase the cheapest product possible - i see plenty of expensive iPhone 5 in the hands of Thais. Secondly, my 300 baht Nokia lasted me about 10 years before.

I do, however, generally agree with the philosophy that buying cheap usually means you buy twice.

What my thread is supposed to be about is my suspicion that Tesco Lotus discounts faulty batches of phones to get rid of them and sets the warranty period at 7 days so there is little chance of you returning them.

A 3K or 4K phone should last a few years (if taken care of). And it shouldn't matter if it was on sale or not.

I am happy with what the phone can do - it does everything i want from a phone (and slightly more), but i am suspicious that it may be useless after a month, like my last discount purchase from Tesco.

Are you sure that the 'warranty' runs out after 7 days? Maybe Tesco will not replace a defective product after 7 days but it should still be covered by the manufactures 1 year warranty.

I once bought a second hand Samsung which turned out faulty and was repaired free by Samsung as it was still within the 12 month warranty period. I did not even have to show them a receipt of purchase.

Bought my Nokia XL from Tesco about 4 months ago.

Bought 2 other Nokias, i think 520 for the wife and her son 6 months ago.

All these on reduced prices.

All of them still working fine.

It's another matter if I still don't know how to use mine properly and still haven't installed the TV application.

But I'm learning as I get younger and youngerblink.png

Are you sure that the 'warranty' runs out after 7 days? Maybe Tesco will not replace a defective product after 7 days but it should still be covered by the manufactures 1 year warranty.

I once bought a second hand Samsung which turned out faulty and was repaired free by Samsung as it was still within the 12 month warranty period. I did not even have to show them a receipt of purchase.

You could be right. I hope so.

I wasn't given anything which mentioned 1 year warranty, but yes I got a slip from Tesco saying it couldn't be returned after 7 days.

Checked the user manual and it says it mentions a warranty sticker which should be on the device (though it isn't). It also mentions, in poor, unclear, and ambiguous language that it should be bought " from Shop namely, I-mobile by Samarat and Authorized Distributor or Authorized Service Center as appointed in Thailand only".

I don't know if that means Tesco or not, lol.

Edited by Water Buffalo

You don't seem to be a very sophisticated shopper......

There is a 7 day exchange policy at Tesco. The phones are covered by the manufacturer/importer, usually for one year. There is no need to retain sales slip as warranty is determined by when the phone went into service. This information is on the imei(?) bar-code which is recorded by Tesco or other seller.

It is correct that Tesco seems to be seller of last resort for overstocks. They are sold at good discounts though.

• Like 1

Overheating can often be due to a faulty charger rather than the phone. Most of the chargers packaged with phones are poor quality. Try another charger if one is available. Make sure to read the amp rating to be sure it matches.

If a phone overheats when charging, first open the back and make sure the battery is properly inserted and that the contacts are ok. Some new phones shipped with the battery already inserted will have a small piece of paper between the contacts to prevent the phone from powering on while being shipped.

Check the battery for any puffiness. If it is at all puffed, that is a sure sign of a bad battery.