Updated: Farang spotted doing community work in Udon identified

Thaivisa News

Udon Thani: Khaosod Online has located and identified a farang man who has received a lot of praises from Facebook users after he has been seen cleaning public telephone booths, collecting garbage and pulling weeds along roadsides in Udon Thani’s Muang district.

Khaosod dispatched a reporter to interview the man and found out that he is a German tourist from Berlin, named Peter Rudi Festetling and he has been doing this kind of community services in Udon Thani downtown for six years already during his annual vacation here.

On Wednesday, the Khaosod reporter met Festetling wearing white t-shirt, gloves and blue workshop jumpsuit. He was carrying a pair of tree scissors, a rake and garbage bag to cut weeds and collect garbage along roadside ditch of the Phosri Raod in front of the Charoen Hotel.

Festetling told the reporter that he is 55 years old and has been staying at the hotel.

The man said he makes his living as a cleaner in Berlin and he earns 100 euros a day or about Bt4,000. He said when he has free time, he will fly to Udon Thani and this year was his sixth year that he visited the northeasten province. This time he has been staying for five weeks now.

He said he loves Thailand and Thai people so he helped cleaning the area which he spotted that it was dirty and full with litter. He bought all the tools himself and has been doing it for five weeks.

He said Thai people were kind to him and always gave him cool drinking water and energetic drinks.

He was scheduled to leave Thursday and he would come back to clean Thailand every year, Khaosod reported. [See khaosod report here]

Tourist cleans Thailand streets out of love
By CNN Staff

(CNN)There are many reasons to visit Thailand.

Some want to swim at Ko Phi Phi, where Leonardo DiCaprio found beauty (though not quite bliss) in "The Beach."

Some want to see if the pad thai in the Chang Mai night market tastes better than it does at their favorite Thai restaurant back home. (It does.)

According to Thai public broadcasting service MCOT (Thai only), however, a German tourist has been coming to the country annually for the last six years for an entirely different reason.

To clean up the mess.

Peter Rudi Festerling, a 55-year-old professional janitor from Berlin, spends most of his vacation time in Udon Thani in northeastern Thailand doing what he does at home. Spiffing up the joint.

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/02/26/travel/german-tourist-cleans-thailand/

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2015-02-27

OH <deleted> the first post is about a work permit, seriously have most of the posters, more or less just left their own country and come here. And that is the extent of their life..... ....... working life... retirement stupid thailand tv...... captain obvious suit.

Yeah good on the guy, good to see a guy of action, giving back the comunnity. Such a change from the oxygen and electrons thats gets wasted on the on work permit argument, those that have come before and the one about to come now..... Thanks Artisi ....

Are you for real or just stoned 24/7?

• Like 1

May be I am a cynic, but...that guy has absolutely lost it!

Giving back to the community?

What is there to give back? And to what community?

That dude is here on holiday!

The only community he has, are tourists!

And he doesn't need to give back anything!

He is paying good money for a hotel and probably for food in local restaurants.

Seriously something wrong with that dude!

He must be kind of very very lonely!

I agree with you. Not the first nut case I would have encountered in good old Udonland.

Maybe he ran out of his "happy pills" and is all depressed waiting to be loved..... even by a "all shiny" phone booth.

Maybe he just passes the time and waits for it to ring.

Can we call a public phone in Thailand. Be fun I guess?!?

Wait for him until he gets ready for the "phone wash" and giving him a ring asking him: "Are you John Wayne? Or is that me?"

...muahahahahah.

I bet, that some Thais actually had the enlightment that such phone boxes are actually washable, AND maintainable

German fellow down in Namsom talks to the ghosts living in his wife's buddha shrine above the TV. The wife has long gone.

He actually told me that he converses with spirits living in his head. And he told me that he just pretends that he talks to the shrine, because otherwise they might think he's gone nuts.

I talk to myself as well, when lonley. As long as I won't disagree with myself I'm still on the save side w00t.gif

Earning... 100 Euro ... a day? 3.000 Euro a month? Net? Being a cleaner of some sort in Germany?

I assume he is not cleaning toxic waste and that somehow got lost in the translation?

I somehow always felt law school was a waste of time.

its seems it was, based on what you have written I wouldn't want you writing the brief for any case I was involved with

maybe being a cleaner is more your vocation

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Earning... 100 Euro ... a day? 3.000 Euro a month? Net? Being a cleaner of some sort in Germany?

I assume he is not cleaning toxic waste and that somehow got lost in the translation?

You are so right.

You would never have graduated.

its seems it was, based on what you have written I wouldn't want you writing the brief for any case I was involved with

maybe being a cleaner is more your vocation

rolleyes.gif

Would very much depend on the case you might have presented me... I wasn't a half-bad lawyer, if I say so myself, and if your case had not been in my field of expertise (revenue, social law, and the ubiquitous general civil law), I would have you referred to a colleague.

Thing is, unless you get work in a big law firm, the average income of a freelance German lawyer is around 1,600 Euro a month after all expenses, taxes, and social insurance.

There are just too many of us, and you have to take too many cases on legal aid and there are lots of nice clients not paying your bills.

You are so right.

You would never have graduated.

I did.

nobody works 30 days per month in Germany and €100/day can be easily earned, e.g. by a good housekeeper who gets between €12 and €15 per hour.

edited for addendum: minimum wage in Germany is €8.50/hour (no need for a law or any other degree).

Edited by Naam

nobody works 30 days per month in Germany and €100/day can be easily earned, e.g. by a good housekeeper who gets between €12 and €15 per hour.

That's quite enough now, I was being jocular about practising law and the prospects of earnings here.

And I suppose you mean "working under the table" (legalese: "unreported employment"). Not necessarily in some rich areas, but let's just say I've had some cases regarding that.

And insight knowledge regarding what an employed building cleaner is earning per hour. Well OK, the proprietor of that company is a millionair since a good couple of years and the largest employer in my home town with 2,300 employees)

We now have minimum wages in Germany since start of this very year, and those are higher. 8.50 Euro gross.

I've done tax returns for a German-Turkish bus-driver making 3,5 k Euro gross a month.

There are obvioulsy considerations as to what passes as intellectually stimulating work and as to not having to report for work 6 am in the morning somewhere and for late shifts on top of that.

With all the news on Thai and in English you would hope / think the people of Udon would clean up themselves a little

but I would bet my last dollar this will not happen. too east for pigs to just toss crap out the window or dump their load where they see fit

I'm just waiting for the first Issan Macho accusing poor Mr.Propper here

of making Thai people lose face for trying to make Udon as spottless and characterless as Germany has become

cheesy.gifclap2.gifcoffee1.giftongue.png

Germany has a lot of character.

Actually, messy or not, Udon Thani, like every other Thai city of similar size look the same as each other and are completely lacking character. If you want character and are in Udon Thani, the nearest place which actually exhibits some character is Vientiane, the Lao capital located some 70km north of Udon.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just waiting for the first Issan Macho accusing poor Mr.Propper here

of making Thai people lose face for trying to make Udon as spottless and characterless as Germany has become

cheesy.gifclap2.gifcoffee1.giftongue.png

Germany has a lot of character.

Actually, messy or not, Udon Thani, like every other Thai city of similar size look the same as each other and are completely lacking character. If you want character and are in Udon Thani, the nearest place which actually exhibits some character is Vientiane, the Lao capital located some 70km north of Udon.

Have to disagree, Nong Khai has character, the pier,Tha Sadet market, the promenade along the Mekhong, the restaurants and the friendly atmosphere of a small town on a river all make it a pleasant place to be in my view. Plus there's the bizarre temple 4 kilometres outside town with statues of dogs wearing sunglasses, sexually aroused and riding Vespa scooters.

• Like 2