Locals upset as Akara mining operations given go ahead

webfact

Locals upset as mining operations given go ahead
TANPISIT LERDBAMRUNGCHAI
THE NATION

Residents file a petition with National Human Rights Commission

BANGKOK: -- PEOPLE LIVING near a gold mine straddling the provinces of Phichit and Phetchabun filed an appeal yesterday against a decision of the Department of Primary Industries and Mines to allow mining operations to resume.

They lodged their appeal with the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC).

The mine's operation was suspended on January 13 after locals complained that it was polluting the environment and affecting their health. Though blood tests have shown high levels of toxins in hundreds of people, the mining firm has denied it has anything to do with its operations.

The Department yesterday gave Akara Resources Plc the green light to resume its gold-mining operations under four conditions, which included arranging medical treatment for all 254 ailing locals and reporting the results to the Department in 30 days.

Many people burst into tears when they heard of the Department's decision.

"We don't agree with the decision," Seukanya Teerachartdam-rong, a representative of the affected locals in Phicit, said as she vowed to continue fighting.

Suraphong Chiengtong, the Department director-general, said the company was allowed to resume mining operations because it had submitted evidence of local people being treated and that it had commissioned Mahidol University to study the impact of mining in the area.

"Once the study is completed, its findings will be released to the public and a public forum on the findings will be held," he said, adding that Akara Resources should also enhance its public-relations abilities.

"The establishment of a committee to monitor the firm's work is necessary," he said, adding that the panel should include representatives of those affected as well as officials from tambon administrative organisations.

However, Seukanya insisted that the Department was being unfair to locals.

"Why doesn't the department wait to see if the firm fulfils all the conditions before it is allowed to resume operations?" she asked, adding that some of the affected still have not been able to avail medical treatment.

She was present when many Phichit residents filed an appeal with the NHRC.

Meanwhile, NHRC commissioner Niran Pitakwatchara, who has been looking into the grievances related to the gold mine, was not present in the office yesterday and another official accepted the petition on his behalf.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Locals-upset-as-mining-operations-given-go-ahead-30254931.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-27

Akara Gold Mine to Reopen

post-231994-0-52727600-1424990310_thumb.

The Akara gold mine will reopen and resume operations. The halt order was lifted, but locals are still concerned of the health impact of the mine.

Akara Resources Plc has been granted permission to reopen by the Department of Primary Industries and Mines. Gold mining operations will resume in Phetchabun, Phichit and Phitsanulok provinces. Locals who are concerned about the mine’s operations are preparing to oppose the reopening.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/803995-akara-gold-mine-to-reopen/

Thank God Prayuth is bringing happiness to all the people!

Well... okay, not all or even most of the people...let me rethink it....

Thank God Prayuth is bringing happiness to all the right people!

Yeah! That's the ticket!

...and who are "the right people!" ?

Finding out who finances and profits from this operation would be a step in the right direction.