Rolling back the crimes of 'Thai-ness'

webfact

As long as there is a common language understood and spoken by all, use of local languages should be encouraged. Take the UK for example where the learning of Welsh, Cornish etc is encouraged. Here in my village the local tongue is Khmer, or Khmen as it is locally called, they are proud of their language but are staunchly Thai, they do not associate themselves with the Khmer speaking Cambodians just across the border.

"Take the UK for example where the learning of Welsh, Cornish etc is encouraged."

True. But this is a relatively recent trend, it’s not that long ago that Welsh children were forbidden from speaking their own language in school.

• Like 2

This will always be the elephant in the room for those blinkered, elite Thai nationalists - to have to admit that Thailand is a nation of disparate, ethnically and culturally diverse human beings and not one homogeneous group of flag-waving, Thai speaking clones would be to face the reality that they are no different to any other group of humans on the planet.....................ergo, it will never happen.

• Like 2

I don't think local dialect's should be banned but for the sake of unity in one country there should be one language otherwise there will be discord at every level.

LKY of Singapore foresaw this 50 years ago, or else, Singapore would have followed Sri Lanka.

• Like 1

I don't think local dialect's should be banned but for the sake of unity in one country there should be one language otherwise there will be discord at every level.

Switzerland, Belgium, & Luxembourg all have multiple, official languages. Germany has dialects in every local region. Language isn't related to unity. Respect and an understanding for differences is much more important...

These countries do not share one language, but most are Christians.

Singapore is multi-racial, and multi-religion.

Switzerland, Belgium, & Luxembourg all have multiple, official languages. Germany has dialects in every local region. Language isn't related to unity. Respect and an understanding for differences is much more important...

These countries do not share one language, but most are Christians.

Singapore is multi-racial, and multi-religion.

seriously, I don't see the relevance of religion. And you might recall that not too long ago, being "Christian" was not a monolithic thing. JFK was the first "Catholic" president which was not any different at the time than Obama today...

but even if it were true that a homogeneous religious culture in a country helps, then Thailand is ready to go... in spades. wink.png

on the other hand, Thailand is also very multi-racial...

I can't see the problem,if they have a Thai id card they are Thai,Thai is the official language in Thailand so Thai should be spoken in Thai institutions in Thailand. They can speak Khmer or Lao in their villages. At school in England we were given one across the hand with a ruler for speaking slang which i agree with, how else were the children expected to learn the queens English if they only speak slang at home. These days with Lib / Lab in charge the standards of education and with it speech, have fallen drastically, every idiot can get into university these days,it used to be a badge of excellence.

• Like 1

I can't see the problem,if they have a Thai id card they are Thai,Thai is the official language in Thailand so Thai should be spoken in Thai institutions in Thailand. They can speak Khmer or Lao in their villages. At school in England we were given one across the hand with a ruler for speaking slang which i agree with, how else were the children expected to learn the queens English if they only speak slang at home. These days with Lib / Lab in charge the standards of education and with it speech, have fallen drastically, every idiot can get into university these days,it used to be a badge of excellence.

Today's slang, tomorrow's mainstream English. Your teacher was doing a "Canute". trying to hold back the tide. Languages evolve. Read "Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson, (an American, yes I know that!!)

Today's slang, tomorrow's mainstream English. Your teacher was doing a "Canute". trying to hold back the tide. Languages evolve. Read "Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson, (an American, yes I know that!!)

Tides can leave behind a waste land. Listen to the newscasters from 50 years ago and compare them with those of today. Today one of the most awful accents,the London accent ( my own ) abounds unashamedly. We ought to have a standard of reference for excellence,not, anything goes, as long as you can just about understand it.

This has nothing to do with adhering to the Thai language and everything to do with this 'admin's' relentless push toward ultra nationalism. Remember we you aren't.

Edited by tif

This has nothing to do with adhering to the Thai language and everything to do with this 'admin's' relentless push toward ultra nationalism. Remember we you aren't.

We you aren't.....is that the same standard of English as, ''it is are not raining here also'' ?

Until relatively recently, public schools were required to fine any student who spoke the "local" language in class.

How barbaric!

Bloody good idea for England though, where in schools across most of the country have a minority of native English speakers who are neglected as money is poured into teaching foreigners English. Fine the parents of the non-English speaking pupils and use that money to fund the language lessons. Of course this does not apply to those who speak Geordie, Yorkshire, Scouse and the other native dialects.

I can now say I am doing my bit for Issan culture, since some of my UK tax money that is generously donated to the obscene, bloated EU without my consent is funding the project. Even the convoluted name sounds like it was thought up by a team of eurocrats.

But for Germany, Austria and German Switzerland everyone can speak with everyone if they want. It is not as bad that they can't communicate in German language.

Belgium has big problems between the different populations.

We you aren't.....is that the same standard of English as, ''it is are not raining here also'' ?

or did you mean '' we, you aren't'' although i still don't know what you are getting at, imagine trying to explain that to me with a Birmingham accent while i could only understand a Scottish accent and neither of us had the ability to speak English as it is supposed to be spoken.

• Like 1

I actually shocked that this is even being discussed. It's been the elephant in the room, than none of the Bangkok rulers have ever dared want to acknowledge; that Thailand is in fact only a minority ethnic Thai country.

Thailand like many many other countries is a construct, melded together through conquest. The Lanna & Lao in the north, and especially the Malay's in the south are not Thai. They don't speak Thai, & probably the fact that at least the Lanna & Lao are Buddhist has prevented a similar backlash against imposed 'Thainess' that we witness every day in the South, at least up to now.

Countries with mixed ethnicities can, and do preserve national unity, but rarely survive when they try to homogenize their populations into a vision of the minority ruling sect

Just doing what the French did 120 years ago.

There are many similarities between Thais and the French.

Excepting the ability to make edible bread.

Quite understandable, the French have been baking for bread for centuries. I imagine if a French chef knocked up a bowl of som tum or pad Thai it would taste like crap. biggrin.png

Just doing what the French did 120 years ago.

There are many similarities between Thais and the French.

Excepting the ability to make edible bread.

Quite understandable, the French have been baking for bread for centuries. I imagine if a French chef knocked up a bowl of som tum or pad Thai it would taste like crap. biggrin.png

No.

I doubt a French chef would try to duplicate those dishes.

laugh.png