Why has cycling become so popular.

LarryBird

Thailand has a growing middle class - they often lead a sedentary life-style and it is quite noticeable over the last 10 years or so that this new middle class are embracing the lifestyle symbols of middle class.

together with cycling there is a huge increase in outdoor and fitness activities - camping, jogging, tennis, the gym - all symbols of those whose work doesn't keep them fit.

• Like 1

Thailand has a growing middle class - they often lead a sedentary life-style and it is quite noticeable over the last 10 years or so that this new middle class are embracing the lifestyle symbols of middle class.

together with cycling there is a huge increase in outdoor and fitness activities - camping, jogging, tennis, the gym - all symbols of those whose work doesn't keep them fit.

You may well be right but I don't see it. Jogging, only see farang doing that. Tennis, only know 2 Japanese that do that. Gym, pass an open air Thai gym daily. 1 or 2 people inside when it could hold 50 or more. Cycling, only see one Thai man do that as exercise. But have 2 farang nearby that only have bikes as transport. Local kids have bikes and use them on the estate but are forbidden to go in the soi. All are driven to school even though it is less that 10 minutes walk away. Weekends I see the bangkok middle class at the beach. All stuffing themselves with crab, shrimp etc washed down with coke or beer. Never once getting out their chair to go play ball or swim with their kids that they've dragged along to this culinary event.

At the beach is a fitness park. A few Thais play on the machines that are falling apart from lack of maintenance. Only serious users are the Russians. The children's park swings, teeter totters, climbing frame are also in dire need of attention. Someone is going to get seriously hurt there soon. Cuts from sharp rusty metal are a regular occurrence. What children do play there are poorly supervised by parents sitting on the grass guzzling lao dong nibbling on some Thai snack food.

Enter a shopping mall and watch the escalator. Hardly ever see a Thai walk up one. They stand side by side holding hands oblivious to those like me who like to walk up as it is good exercise.

Witness the double parking everywhere. God forbid that someone should have to park their car 100meters away and walk to the shop.

• Like 1

I think it's a cheap way to excercise/trendy status jump/show off/socialize....we live by the canal road in HD and they are all over - many with ear buds in listening to tunes - which is plain stupid....including bike shops and cafes specifically catering to them....but not safe with all the traffic there...I keep to the quiet streets on my Trek and don't need the lycra to make me feel like a "real" rider.....kind of like racing decals on cars = showtime.....

So much anger.

Not angry...I like seeing them out there getting exercise...I don't like it when they are unsafe - whoever they are....it was the owner of a local bike shop that explained to me the clothes show off aspect - and he sells them....I also like the fact they have coffee cafes to socialize in....for the amount I see around heavy traffic I worry for them. ..many out in the dark and some in black with no lights - some at 4:30 in the morning.....wish they had bike lanes....I won't go out there because I don't want to give license to my 6 & 14 year old daughters to feel safe on the canal road and maybe think of biking to some local stores....I have a 4 bike rack for when we go someplace to ride as a family....

You may well be right but I don't see it. Jogging, only see farang doing that. Tennis, only know 2 Japanese that do that. Gym, pass an open air Thai gym daily. 1 or 2 people inside when it could hold 50 or more. Cycling, only see one Thai man do that as exercise. But have 2 farang nearby that only have bikes as transport. Local kids have bikes and use them on the estate but are forbidden to go in the soi. All are driven to school even though it is less that 10 minutes walk away. Weekends I see the bangkok middle class at the beach. All stuffing themselves with crab, shrimp etc washed down with coke or beer. Never once getting out their chair to go play ball or swim with their kids that they've dragged along to this culinary event.

At the beach is a fitness park. A few Thais play on the machines that are falling apart from lack of maintenance. Only serious users are the Russians. The children's park swings, teeter totters, climbing frame are also in dire need of attention. Someone is going to get seriously hurt there soon. Cuts from sharp rusty metal are a regular occurrence. What children do play there are poorly supervised by parents sitting on the grass guzzling lao dong nibbling on some Thai snack food.

Enter a shopping mall and watch the escalator. Hardly ever see a Thai walk up one. They stand side by side holding hands oblivious to those like me who like to walk up as it is good exercise.

Witness the double parking everywhere. God forbid that someone should have to park their car 100meters away and walk to the shop.

Looks like you've picked a bit of a backwater to live in.

I live (and work) in a middle class area - in the industrial heartland of Thailand. My village is a middle class village occupied by professionals. There is an outside gym, indoor gym and a 20 metre pool. All these facilities are used to the full ...... by Thai people. There is a cycle club; men, wives and families are members and the club is active every evening. The pool is full at a the week-end of Thai kids - they also use it in the evenings after school. there are also tennis courts and an instructor - kids have lessons morning and evenings. The men love the techno side of the bikes and the mothers love the idea of their children growing up to be socially mobile thanks to their tennis skills.

in fact the estate is quite old but has been revitalised as the property prices in this area have rocketed due to it's convenient situation for commuting. there are of course several newer villages nearby that are similarly equipped with similar activities. I'm also aware that the 3000 people i work with have similar aspirational lifestyles. From the production workers who go to aerobics, right to the CEO etc who plats golf and goes camping in National Parks.

where I live there are VERY VERY few foreigners. the Japanese tend to live in apartments nearer to their factories and quite frankly there is no reason for the Russians to be anywhere near here as they have no business connections with industry as yet.

Industry and commerce are now by far the largest sector of the economy and it is responsible for the growth of the thai middle class - it is still developing but apart from the lifestyle aspirations they are accompanied by education and political aspirations too....... something that the current government seem utterly unaware of as they try to set the clock back.

Cycling - like in the UK in the 19th and early 20th centuries is a sign of social change - no longer a form of transport (never was i Thailand) it is a sign of middle class aspirations.

• Like 2

I think it's a cheap way to excercise/trendy status jump/show off/socialize....we live by the canal road in HD and they are all over - many with ear buds in listening to tunes - which is plain stupid....including bike shops and cafes specifically catering to them....but not safe with all the traffic there...I keep to the quiet streets on my Trek and don't need the lycra to make me feel like a "real" rider.....kind of like racing decals on cars = showtime.....

So much anger.
Not angry...I like seeing them out there getting exercise...I don't like it when they are unsafe - whoever they are....it was the owner of a local bike shop that explained to me the clothes show off aspect - and he sells them....I also like the fact they have coffee cafes to socialize in....for the amount I see around heavy traffic I worry for them. ..many out in the dark and some in black with no lights - some at 4:30 in the morning.....wish they had bike lanes....I won't go out there because I don't want to give license to my 6 & 14 year old daughters to feel safe on the canal road and maybe think of biking to some local stores....I have a 4 bike rack for when we go someplace to ride as a family....

I stand corrected. Ride safe!

I used to bike in Phuket. Anyone had a car door open on them as you approach? With cars coming up the rear quickly? One of my brother in laws got a broken leg out of one door opening incident. I missed disaster on about 4 occasions so far this way..They never check the mirrors..

True story:

Another brother in law in Phuket is in his early 60's (you're almost there village farang, if not already, but with your younger wife, you have to keep fit too, LOL), name of Guy. Has been competitively riding for 15 years, and was the top older rider in Thailand a few years ago, numero uno.The Royal Prince took up biking a few years ago, and wanted a partner.

out of the blue, they called Guy, and he went and biked with the Prince, got 5 star treatment, and saw some things he probably didn't really want to over the 3 days..

The Prince was impressed..and Guy was actually invited to go to Germany with the Prince on a second bike trip, and backed out. It wasn't his thing.. He rides solo, like me, and so many of you..

And ya, farang never make eye contact, so after about 20 times, I quit too..

I used to bike in Phuket. Anyone had a car door open on them as you approach?

I used to be a bicycle messenger in San Francisco and someone got "doored" almost every day, but I put most of the responsibility on the cyclist. You have to not get too close to parked cars and watch their doors, so you can avoid them in time.

• Like 1

I used to be a bicycle messenger in San Francisco and someone got "doored" almost every day, but I put most of the responsibility on the cyclist. You have to not get too close to parked cars and watch their doors, so you can avoid them in time.

Haha all the people who think cycling is too dangerous but would really like to try have just been scared off. You never want to cycle past a parked car so close that you can be "Doored". You have to give it a bit of space as if you are anticipating the door may open. Or if you do need to go past really close slow down so you can brake if the door does open. I have been a serious cyclist since 1982 and never been "Doored" . A lot of messengers ride bikes with no brakes and take crazy risks all day long.

• Like 1

So much anger.

like with any other aspect of road transport in Thaiuland the basic safety ground-rules are not in place - I often see cyclists running 2 abreast or more - this is of course a no-no.

they don't think about their position on the road especially when making a turn or at a junction and seem to have not even the most elementary knowledge of road signals........ however as they are clubs, one hopes this sort of stuff will filter through ASAP.

So much anger.

like with any other aspect of road transport in Thaiuland the basic safety ground-rules are not in place - I often see cyclists running 2 abreast or more - this is of course a no-no.

they don't think about their position on the road especially when making a turn or at a junction and seem to have not even the most elementary knowledge of road signals........ however as they are clubs, one hopes this sort of stuff will filter through ASAP.

Agree about the 2 abreast it is just plain stupid. Motorcycles are not allowed to do it neither should cyclists. I've even seen cyclists cross through red lights while all the motor vehicles are stationary. Aren't cyclist subject to all the same rules as other road users? My Thai friends say the are.

I'm sorry but the Lycra. I put that in the same category as the leather brigade on Harleys. Posers.

Agree about the 2 abreast it is just plain stupid. Motorcycles are not allowed to do it neither should cyclists. I've even seen cyclists cross through red lights while all the motor vehicles are stationary. Aren't cyclist subject to all the same rules as other road users? My Thai friends say the are.

I'm sorry but the Lycra. I put that in the same category as the leather brigade on Harleys. Posers.

I have no problems cycling through red lights, even with a Thai policeman watching.

So it appears cyclists aren't required to obey the same rules as motorists.

So much anger.

....I find shaves legs a bit disconcerting......

I have no problems cycling through red lights, even with a Thai policeman watching.

So when you are run over by a motorist it will be OK because there was a policeman watching?

if you took "policeman watching" as thew proof of what is or isn't legal in Thailand, there would be no laws left.

• Like 1

Agree about the 2 abreast it is just plain stupid. Motorcycles are not allowed to do it neither should cyclists. I've even seen cyclists cross through red lights while all the motor vehicles are stationary. Aren't cyclist subject to all the same rules as other road users? My Thai friends say the are.I'm sorry but the Lycra. I put that in the same category as the leather brigade on Harleys. Posers.

My Thai friends disagree. They say you should dismount and push the bike. Then you are a pedestrian and allowed through the red light.

And "so it appears" you cycle you should know the cycling laws. Do you drink and not know the drinking laws?

Do you drive and also not know the driving laws. Unbelievable.

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

Agree about the 2 abreast it is just plain stupid. Motorcycles are not allowed to do it neither should cyclists. I've even seen cyclists cross through red lights while all the motor vehicles are stationary. Aren't cyclist subject to all the same rules as other road users? My Thai friends say the are.I'm sorry but the Lycra. I put that in the same category as the leather brigade on Harleys. Posers.

My Thai friends disagree. They say you should dismount and push the bike. Then you are a pedestrian and allowed through the red light.

And "so it appears" you cycle you should know the cycling laws. Do you drink and not know the drinking laws?

Are you sure your Thai friends know the driving laws?

Seems to me the police decide what the laws are.

Are you sure your Thai friends know the driving laws?

Seems to me the police decide what the laws are.

But the question is not whether my Thai friends know cycling law, they don't cycle, but whether you do who does cycle. The police do not decide what the law is they enforce it "sometimes". But as my friends have lived here far longer than you, are Thai, I consider them a better source and are more likely to know the law than you who seem not to even though you cycle the roads.

Back where I come from you now see lots of cyclists (mainly male) wearing Lycra with all the advertising just like Lance and the others. Unfortunately, it is not just idiots Farangs doing it now, there are a few Thais jumping on board. They are usually extremely fit and are just showing off - and like playing chicken with cars and trucks and buses. They are usually on their way to/from 2 things: work in a non-decscrpt loser's job; or a cafe with their boyfriends biggrin.png. In my book they are worth 150 points, second only to Greenies carrying placards (200 points) cheesy.gif.

But seriously - there are so many ways that nature tries to ensure the survival of the species - it is all genetics. This is just another method that nature uses to try and clean out the gene pool.coffee1.gif

I don't think Lycra fits in very well with Thai customs. Extremely tight showing off the naughty bits albeit in outline is just not Thai style. And that us what my Thai family tell me with the grandkids giggling and pointing when they see an extremely nasty case of the meat pus two veg. Like no tank tops in temples, shirt and trousers in government offices each place in Thailand has its dress code. Skin tight Lycra is just not appropriate for the public highways anymore than me in my long johns is appropriate anywhere down my soi. Edited by Keesters

Are you sure your Thai friends know the driving laws?Seems to me the police decide what the laws are.

But the question is not whether my Thai friends know cycling law, they don't cycle, but whether you do who does cycle. The police do not decide what the law is they enforce it "sometimes". But as my friends have lived here far longer than you, are Thai, I consider them a better source and are more likely to know the law than you who seem not to even though you cycle the roads.

No point ever asking questions about VISAs or WPs on here then, just ask your Thai friends, they've lived here longer.

(next you'll claim they don't need VISAs or WPs so have no knowledge on the subject ....... hang on they don't cycle either)

PS

Just for a laugh, ask your Thai friends

"How many weeks are there in a year?". I assume they use weeks.

And if they get that right, ask "How many days in a year?" ........

I think you'll be surprised at the answers.

Wouldn't dream of asking them about work permits or visa as none of that would effect them in there lives. Even though they don't cycle now, they are all grown up, the dud cycle in their youth. They see cycles every day and am sure they would have discussed them a sometime. I definitely know they have discussed Lycra. It was one of the funniest conversations over a few beers ever.

Your starting to be a bit facetious and off topic with your questions about weeks and days. I know they know the answers. I know they can even say any day of the week & month of the year in English too. I taught them.

You still have not admitted that you do not know the cycling laws here even though you cycle. Nice try at avoiding the question. What a singular policeman did with a look is hardly qualification for knowing the law.

On the subject of the saftely of riding two abreast it is legal in the UK for very good reason. Motorists must pass in the correct manner and can do more quickly. (pls see link for simple explantion with diagram and both attitudes on the subject)

http://ukcyclelaws.blogspot.com/p/the-laws-according-to-highway-code.html

I KNOW WE ARE NOT IN THE UK! But I would venture to guess that many of the traffic laws here are taken from the West.

As to knowing the laws here better because simply one has resided here longer is not good enough proof for me. I would guess, as I don't have any data to form my opinion, that a larger percentage of falang's on the orad have driver's licenses.

But saying that your friends don't cycle anymore because "they're all grown-up", maybe it's time you (Keester assume you don't ride) and your friends act a little more immature and get back in the saddle of your youths, you just might enjoy it and live a longer until you ride into the sunset.

p.s. This cartoon and the previous one I posted on the subject of not so young gentelmen wearing lyrca is self-depreciating as I am "guilty" for of it many good reasons, included the proffessional advice from ianf, of wearing biking shorts. Beleive me it's much more funny then saddle sores (and aren't you glad nobody has brought up the subject of Chamois Creams, well no time like the present)

My favorite is made by the guys of Bicycle Thailand called "Smooth Ass Silk"

(that should put a quick stop to this silliness that bike shorts are just for looks)

Can be bought on-line here: http://bicyclethailand.com/products-page/chamois-cream/

post-101742-0-51930300-1426026246_thumb.

• Like 2

Back where I come from you now see lots of cyclists (mainly male) wearing Lycra with all the advertising just like Lance and the others. Unfortunately, it is not just idiots Farangs doing it now, there are a few Thais jumping on board. They are usually extremely fit and are just showing off - and like playing chicken with cars and trucks and buses. They are usually on their way to/from 2 things: work in a non-decscrpt loser's job; or a cafe with their boyfriends biggrin.png. In my book they are worth 150 points, second only to Greenies carrying placards (200 points) cheesy.gif.

But seriously - there are so many ways that nature tries to ensure the survival of the species - it is all genetics. This is just another method that nature uses to try and clean out the gene pool.coffee1.gif

I don't think Lycra fits in very well with Thai customs. Extremely tight showing off the naughty bits albeit in outline is just not Thai style. And that us what my Thai family tell me with the grandkids giggling and pointing when they see an extremely nasty case of the meat pus two veg. Like no tank tops in temples, shirt and trousers in government offices each place in Thailand has its dress code. Skin tight Lycra is just not appropriate for the public highways anymore than me in my long johns is appropriate anywhere down my soi.

Beg to differ but we travel Samoeng Rd quite a bit,the loop that finishes in in Mae Rim, plus the area around Doi Kham ,see dozens of Thais riding in groups all wearing Lycra. Not sure if its a cycling club or just friends out for a ride but they all wear Lycra gear and the racing helmets,gloves etc.

Move on from these Thai customs ideas. 15 years ago in Bangkok you would never see girls/women in shorts in a shopping centre ,now very common all over the country.A fashion choice we should be very grateful for !

• Like 1

Haha all the people who think cycling is too dangerous but would really like to try have just been scared off. You never want to cycle past a parked car so close that you can be "Doored". You have to give it a bit of space as if you are anticipating the door may open. Or if you do need to go past really close slow down so you can brake if the door does open. I have been a serious cyclist since 1982 and never been "Doored" . A lot of messengers ride bikes with no brakes and take crazy risks all day long.

Bicycling in Phuket is a different animal, but doable. Hoards of locals have caught on. I never got "doored," does close count?

Two of my Thai relatives work at Vachira General. You would not believe how many farang are killed on bicycles, and they ain't all bad riders. But this is a Chiang Mai thread... I'm sure you don't ride in the town.

I know the roads in the north are better suited for bicycles, I've driven them several times.... in my truck

Posts removed.

Perfectly normal and natural to discuss or have an opinion, its not Ok to get personal with your comments.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Was out this morning 45Km, 20 on road, 25 in the jungle (700 year stadium to HTT) and fields (Don Keow to Maejo).

Had to wear a N95 face mask the whole way, it was a real choker.

Too many leaves on the ground and too much dust, it's getting very slippery.

No lycra, just my Liverpool FC shirt and shorts, and body armor cos falling off on the trails really hurts.

Lots of Army guys hanging way out in the jungle, looks like they have been posted to stop burning.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Let's do a quick 50 km in 33 C, I'll wear lycra and you can wear your jeans and t-shirt and then tell me it's just for posers!

In 6,000+ miles I have never worn jeans, Lycra or a codpiece. I do see why the pros wear it. The non pro who wear the tops festooned with adverts are the most hilarious. It is like painting your car with Nascar racing ads. NOKD!

Or the same as someone wearing a football top with a sponsors name on it. Never see that happen.