Difficult to find job in Phuket for German speaker

marc gloor

hi there,

I decided to stay in Thailand so now Im looking for a job, but seems job ads here are mainly in bangkok, does anyone know where i can find a job in phuket? Ive 10 years sales experience in Switzerland, I really dont mind doing something else here, could someone please recommend different kind of job that I can work here especially for german speaker? given that my work permit will be end in Apr, I really hope I can find a job soon.

• Like 1

you may have a non-immi-B-Visa which is about to expire, but if you have "your own business" you certainly do not have a work permit. even if you are the managing director of your own Thai-registered business, you usually will not get (and need, as the actual "work" has to be done by your at least 4 employed Thai staff ) a work permit.

I would say your chances to find any sort of legitimate Job that earns you a work permit are pretty dim, particularly as your English skills are kinda limited either (and saying this, I am not even an English native speaker myself).

plus if you don't have at least a bachelor's degree, these chances are near to non-existent

Sorry to dissapoint you but there's no jobs for German speakers in Thailand unless you can teach English . Or can afford to run your own business.

Edited by balo

I have my own business but the work permit will be end in Apr. I need to earn my living so I really need a new job.

If you already own a business (I assume in Phuket) then why are you asking about job opportunities here on Thaivisa. Have you not built up your own business network ?

Especially if you are young, you might be hired by a big hotel (probably one belonging to a chain) for a guest relations job, so working at the reception. Prepare a resume and present yourself at all places. Your English seems OK to me, and it is a considerable advantage to also speak German. Two Germans that I know found work in Khao Lak that way, though I have to add they are both female.

Hi Marc.

Don't worry about the "hang'em high" brigade. They have no saying in you finding a job in Thailand or not.

I left Phuket shortly after the Tsunami. I've been working there for almost 6 years.

There is work for Germans. SUUUUUUUUUUURE

10 years back most of the Germans where residing in the Chalong area and Rawai area.

Back then there was no real e-Forum for us expats. I just took the bike around the island a million times and knocked at every door I could get to without tresspassing. I had plenty of jobs.

-Teaching Assistant at the Prince of Songkhla Univ. in B. Kathu.

-Sales Rep at the Andaman Beach Resort in German and English. (It's timeshare: They could fix your Visa+WP troubles at least for 3-12 month. Careful. You might be good at that since you are a salesman, but in my experience making too many TimeShareSales-Deals may temporarily fill your pockets but decreases you ability of sleeping well. Your Choice. Time Share people are easy to find. The street workers are called OPC's. Just drive around Patong, and find PR people looking like they just guest starred in "Bay Watch" using promotional gift cards, probably "Scratch-Cards" giving away bogus Star Prizes using a booth as a work spot or floating around on motorbikes, one driving, and the one in the back trying to stop tourists.

Go find them. Tell them you're a salesman and that they should bring to the office/salesdeck.

The person you want to talk to is the Salesmanager, whoever that is at the moment. The company is called "Absolute" and used to reside on a salesdeck in the Andaman Beach Resort and the surrounding area. They have more sales oficces on Kho Samui, Hua Hin, and Bangkok. Good luck.

Or in 2007 I used to work for BMW Thailand for a couple of month as an English/German translator. They paid 600 THB an hour.

(20 hours/week.) But for that you need to be tested by the Goethe Institut, right opposite the Austrian Embassy in BKK to become a Court-certified interpreter getting the only WP where it doesn't state the exact place of employment, as usually issued to farangs. That makes it pretty flexible. The test was around 10.000 or 1.000 THB. I can't remember exactly. Only catch: good English skills. High level of concentration.

Or.....Audi, Mercedes, Siemens, Red Bull (Austria) etc........there are plenty of German Companies around.

Your Visa is still ok. That's good. If you keep looking, asking, and making noise you will find work.

And if not then you need to think bigger:

https://www.google.at/search?q=Germans+working+offshore+in+south+east+asia&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=a33wVMicEYv-UoyXg5AI#q=Where+are+Germans+working++in+south+east+asia%3F