Some cycling comments and AUDAX Australia

Mousehound

This is a post I made on Chiang Mai blog as to why is cycling becoming popular in Thailand.

I made these observations on cycling generally and my experiences as a photographer for AUDAX Australia.

http://stevekeeling..../Cycling-event/

The above link takes you to some shots I did covering AUDAX Australia's 1200k in three days event. These people were from all over the world and in last years event a large number flew into Perth from SE Asia. So they are seeing a noticeable increase in interest for what is really extreme cycling. I am a follower of cycling but not a participant. As a photographer I do pick up on the reasons people do this sort of thing. Often it is reflected in a societies financial development but a lot of these people are not necessarily wealthy but a reasonable financial background is a must as the gear is not cheap. The gear is a great part of the thing. just as fishermen and motoring or motorcycle enthusiasts talk endlessly about gear, so do cyclists. There is also a great camaraderie amongst those that share an interest and a challenge and there is no doubt that serious cyclists are health conscious. Cycling is a great way to see a place as the speed is such that you don't fly past things and you notice more. I spend hours in the car following events as an official photographer and even I have found a closeness to the environment that I don't get hurtling along at normal speeds.
I first noticed a real cycling group in BKK (outside MBK) some five years back. There were about fifteen or twenty riders, well kitted out and led by an experienced rider who worked for the Shimano factory in Thailand. He was talking about the increase in interest to me. Last year I noticed several groups of road cyclists touring to the north and northeast of CM.
Other cyclists, like my son., are more into short road races or track racing. At fifteen he would cycle 50k to a venue do a flat out 45k race in an hour and then ride home. Others are more into touring and others Mountain biking. The immense popularity and TV coverage of le Tour has also made people more aware of the sport as well.

As for lycra and padded seats etc - they are for a reason - as is shaving the hair off the legs. The lycra is far cooler and dries off in the wet better than cotton. Also cotton once wet chafes badly. The shaving of the legs is so that when you come off you slide and the hair does not tear half your flesh away. It also helps keep wounds clean and aids the healing process.

Cycling is a great activity and I admire those that give it a go in whatever form.

• Like 2

As for lycra and padded seats etc - they are for a reason - as is shaving the hair off the legs...

Glad you brought up the topic. Lycra can be cool, but it can also be pretty uncool. Before grabbing into the spandex box, a critical evaluation in the mirror (possibly with a female fashion advisor) is recommended. If one's body has the aerodynamic properties of a three-master no amount of lyrca is going to change that. Therefore, choose smart or become one of the many lycra fails that now circulate the Internet. laugh.png

spandex-11.jpg

lycra.jpg

robot-man.jpg

As for lycra and padded seats etc - they are for a reason - as is shaving the hair off the legs...

Glad you brought up the topic. Lycra can be cool, but it can also be pretty uncool. Before grabbing into the spandex box, a critical evaluation in the mirror (possibly with a female fashion advisor) is recommended. If one's body has the aerodynamic properties of a three-master no amount of lyrca is going to change that. Therefore, choose smart or become one of the many lycra fails that now circulate the Internet. laugh.png

spandex-11.jpg

I say wear whatever you feel comfortable in, who cares what others think.

Clearly you also have no idea who the large fellow in the Lampre kit is.

He is Andy Rihs, owner of BMC cycles, and one of the richest men in cycling. I'd like to see you try to tell him your ideas on what he should wear on the bike. This was taken a few years back, and while still a big guy, he is way thinner now, due in part to cycling more and not giving a crap about what other people think is cool or not.

Edited by moonoi

He is Andy Rihs, owner of BMC cycles, and one of the richest men in cycling. I'd like to see you try to tell him your ideas on what he should wear on the bike. This was taken a few years back, and while still a big guy, he is way thinner now, due in part to cycling more and not giving a crap about what other people think is cool or not.

It doesn't matter whether you are Andy Rihs or the emperor of China. Given this circumference, lycra always and unconditionally looks bad.

There are some things that money can't buy, such as health, wisdom, and good taste.

Cheers, CM-Expat

• Like 1

It doesn't matter whether you are Andy Rihs or the emperor of China. Given this circumference, lycra always and unconditionally looks bad.

There are some things that money can't buy, such as health, wisdom, and good taste.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Come on!! If he goes like that on Soi Cowboy everyone will agree that he is handsome man.....

• Like 2

Funny thing is he didn't even ride a bike back then, he just walked around with his mechanics :-)

My point is though, where what you're comfortable in, and who cares what anyone else thinks, I certainly don't.

Although if you're slightly large, like myself, may I suggest going for a sportwool blend with a club rather than racing fit, looks much better than Lycra ;-) as does a 3/4 rather than full length zip.

Or try Fat Lad at the Back cycling clothing

http://fatladattheback.com/shop/

• Like 2

I didn't know that Shimano has a factory in Thailand.

Do you know what they do here?

He told me they work on bike gear clusters. I remember when Campagnola was the thing then came Shimano and now seems to be swinging back to Campag again - at least amongst the local cyclists.

I think in Thailand it is much more a fashion thing than in the West.

If you are only hi-so if you have a specific brand than it is that brand people buy. Of course it is a bit like that in the West but less.

I see lots, dressed like superman, having a flashy bike but normal pedals......and pedal a 60 rpm.....

60 rpm is ok, long as your in the big ring, on the smallest cog and going up a min 10% gradient ;-)

I think Campy is showing a resurgence since Shimano and SRAM moved to 11 speed cassettes, these means you can now buy, for example, a complete Super Record EPS group, but use a Duraace cassette on a Shimano hub. So now you have a wider selection of wheels to choose from than in the past, and you can swap and change them between your other bikes much more easily.

Edited by moonoi
  • Like 1

60 rpm is ok, long as your in the big ring, on the smallest cog and going up a min 10% gradient ;-)

I think Campy is showing a resurgence since Shimano and SRAM moved to 11 speed cassettes, these means you can now buy, for example, a complete Super Record EPS group, but use a Duraace cassette on a Shimano hub. So now you have a wider selection of wheels to choose from than in the past, and you can swap and change them between your other bikes much more easily.

I am not really understanding what you try to explain?

the 11 speed cassettes are compatible with Campagnolo?

Yes, so if you have Campy on one bike and Shimano on the other, providing they are both 11 speed cassettes you can swap the wheels over.

Also my friend in Singapore thinks that Duraace and SRAM Red cassettes are better than Campy ones, and cheaper too.......

Edited by moonoi
  • Like 1