Please give monks less fattening foods

Thaivisa News

Don't feed them or give them money - all stories I read about" supposed monks " involves corruption and most very rich - I am not disrespecting most of the monks just the greedy few that think that they accept things and keep them for themselves - I totally respect 99% of monks but the 1% that are just there to line their own pockets - defrock them and seize their assets

That is a lot more than 1%

Vast majority will try to comply. Like sheep. Probably try to outdo each other for "the healthiest meal".

Religion is an effective influence and control mechanism for the masses. Governments tend to embrace

......religion is opium of the people....(karl marx)

Ah, Thai Buddhism... All show, no substance, except for some forest monasteries Ajahn Chah style...

Totally agree. I went to a fair in Bang Saray held in temple grounds. Whilst on 'The Big Wheel' I noticed there were FOUR ornate and lavishly decorated buildings within the grounds - dripping with gold. There is another temple a few hundred metres up the road also dripping opulence.

Bang Saray is not very big, nor rich yet it supports these edifices. Meanwhile the local populace struggle to make ends meet. I just don't understand Thai Buddhism.

Here in Isaan the monks say they eat once a day, only in the morning. There are some skinny monks and a lot of fat ones. I am not a nutritionist but I don't think a person can get fat eating one meal a day.

You gain weight when you eat more than you burn.

If your one-meal-a-day is large enough you will get fat, especially when you sit on your bum all day mumbling prayers.

But that meal would have to be large, very large (or containing tons of sugars and fats).

And I agree, many monks don't take their monkhood very serious. They walk around smoking cigarettes while playing on their phones and some even have private charters to fly them to Europe for some shopping. It wouldn't surprise me if many of them also eat more often than once a day.

Or the meal would be very long.....several hours of eating.

And rest of the time you drink coke and iced coffee.

But well in fact the only one meal per day monks are the minority.

• Like 1

...<deleted> hell, these backward orientated parasites should learn to work for their living, they are still favoruing a live style whichg is 2500 years ago, times are changing..

no that isn't the 2500 year ago lifestyle with coke, burgers, and iced coffee...

They may eat only one big meal a day but apart from a walk before breakfast, many of then do not lead a very active life. Some however are very active. One monk of my acquaintance is a "builder monk" & moves from temple to temple to participate in big building projects. But even he has the lotus position bruises & callouses that they seem to get on their lower limbs from long periods of immobile meditation. (No need for comments about devotees with bruises on their knees, or lockjaw.)

Edited by The Deerhunter

Granted, from a Public Health point of view, the OP is correct. However the local merit-making donators, give the same food to the monks, that they eat themselves.

Re: Oral Hygiene is a personal issue that individual monks are responsible for taking care of themselves, unless they expect the Nuns to be their personal Dental Hygienist maids, as well.

Re: the obesity factor of monks, goes directly to the fact that the vast majority of monks spend the bulk of their daily woken hours, sitting around on their rumps,

doing absolutely nothing more physical than waking-up from their daily napping sessions, and then returning to their usual state of stasis.

All Buddhist Monastery things considered, I'm sure the realm of the Nunery is not as afflicted with similar types of general health issues, as is the Monkdom.

Edited by NativeSon360

I once watched a documentary about the Shaolin monks. Now there is a bunch of well disciplined monks if ever saw one. Apparently the older a Shaolin becomes, the less they sleep and the more they meditate and excercise so that they can keep both body and mind at full fitness.

Perhaps the Thai monks need to take a leaf out of the Shaolin book and put a bit more effort into it.

cheesy.gif The day I saw an old lady (on a commuter train) offer her seat to a very young Buddhist monk, who gladly accepted, then placed his rump on that seat, I became thoroughly disgusted with the Theravada notion of Buddhism.

Edited by NativeSon360

They may eat only one big meal a day but apart from a walk before breakfast, many of then do not lead a very active life. Some however are very active. One monk of my acquaintance is a "builder monk" & moves from temple to temple to participate in big building projects. But even he has the lotus position bruises & callouses that they seem to get on their lower limbs from long periods of immobile meditation. (No need for comments about devotees with bruises on their knees, or lockjaw.)

The most devout Buddhist that I've had the pleasure of knowing (as work colleagues), were not monks, but just ordinary people, who simply lived the Buddhist way of life.coffee1.gif

I once watched a documentary about the Shaolin monks. Now there is a bunch of well disciplined monks if ever saw one. Apparently the older a Shaolin becomes, the less they sleep and the more they meditate and excercise so that they can keep both body and mind at full fitness.

Perhaps the Thai monks need to take a leaf out of the Shaolin book and put a bit more effort into it.

cheesy.gif The day I saw an old lady (on a commuter train) offer her seat to a very young Buddhist monk, who gladly accepted, then placed his rump on that seat, I became thoroughly disgusted with the Theravada notion of Buddhism.

Did you offer your seat to her? I would've done. Values and good manners that were passed onto me by my mother.